....hooha over!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 489048
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 489048

Well the whole 'test strips' thing I had the other day with my doctors; now resolved. I had a call back and basically told I don't need them as my bloods are great, I'm eating healthy, and I'm NOT on any medication for diabetes therefore I don't need to be testing blood glucose. In other words I'm now 'not diabetic'. There was every other word said apart from 'you are not diabetic t2 anymore' so I guess I'll call it how I see it and that is as far as they are concerned I'm off their radar and if you are not having medication and not having to test blood glucose then that says to me I'm not diabetic anymore. OVER AND OUT! ! ! ! !

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the whole 'test strips' thing I had the other day with my doctors; now resolved. I had a call back and basically told I don't need them as my bloods are great, I'm eating healthy, and I'm NOT on any medication for diabetes therefore I don't need to be testing blood glucose. In other words I'm now 'not diabetic'. There was every other word said apart from 'you are not diabetic t2 anymore' so I guess I'll call it how I see it and that is as far as they are concerned I'm off their radar and if you are not having medication and not having to test blood glucose then that says to me I'm not diabetic anymore. OVER AND OUT! ! ! ! !
Standard GP response then. However I would read it as them telling you that you are well controlled - presumably you will still have 6 monthly or annual hba1c checks and diabetic reviews. Unfortunately they don’t consider how you manage to control your BS and the fact that testing is an important element of it - if they don’t suggest it they don’t have to prescribe it.

M

Member496333

Very well done indeed, but you would be well advised to exercise caution going forwards. I certainly wouldn’t be hanging on the words of a doctor when it comes to diabetes.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your excellent results but please to not became complacent and take your eye off the ball. You are still diabetic and still need to maintain your discipline.

Once again, very well done.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Well done and such a positive post too, which is so nice to see :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your achievements in getting under control. Please make sure you are still getting foot checks and retinal screening annually and you’re also entitled to 6 monthly HbA1cs. You are still diabetic (though with non diabetic numbers) and are entitled to these tests and checks. Here’s the NICE guidelines in case you need some back up when requesting them:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#individualised-care

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you asked your Doc what your medical records now say about your diabetes? How have they coded you?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yeah, Rodger that. Ten four.

The lowdown is your hard work has paid off with some decent figures..
Inspite of the recent disapointing issue you have regarding prescribed test strips, it would do no favours in the long run if you disenfranchised the HCP team & let anything lapse?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
OVER AND OUT! ! ! ! !

WELL DONE! A c-pep and an IR test might be useful to conform this diagnosis. You'll be lucky to get one from your GP but who knows? It seems to be a post code lottery with these things.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on your achievements in getting under control. Please make sure you are still getting foot checks and retinal screening annually and you’re also entitled to 6 monthly HbA1cs. You are still diabetic (though with non diabetic numbers) and are entitled to these tests and checks. Here’s the NICE guidelines in case you need some back up when requesting them:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#individualised-care

NICE guidelines do say stabilised T2s should get HbA1c tests every 6 months:

Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 07.59.26.png

But my gp surgery, and others according to forum members, don't follow those guidelines. I only get a HbA1c test annually.
I did raise it with gp but was told I don't need 6 monthly checks as I am 'well controlled'. I did raise this with the Quality Care Commission last year, but have not heard anything.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Won't join in with giving precautions or anything as I'm sure you're well aware what's good to do from here but massive well done!!

And remember, just because you're not a diabetic anymore doesn't mean you can leave the forum. You're here for life ;):hilarious:

Reactions: Prem51