What can I try next?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try eating regularly rather than fasting - I have done so many low calorie diets over the years that my metabolism just shuts down if I fast. If I ate later in the day my helpful liver kept on throwing out glucose so my levels went up and up, until I just wanted to go back to bed.
On a normal day I eat two meals 12 hours apart.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try eating regularly rather than fasting - I have done so many low calorie diets over the years that my metabolism just shuts down if I fast. If I ate later in the day my helpful liver kept on throwing out glucose so my levels went up and up, until I just wanted to go back to bed.
I too seem to be more stable if I have something in the morning, even if just a boiled egg.

There is a school of thought that maybe you are dumping stored glucose from body cells at this point which is in the long term a good thing. @Jim Lahey explains it much better.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I haven't yet. Can the Thyroid affect your levels? My levels have been higher for the past week now after getting them down to 4-6s, which they were for 3 weeks when I started IF

I was sent by an endocrinologist to have my thyroid function tests done. I have the results ,but will only meet with him again in August for a discussion. I hope that by then you will be happily back on track.

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat 3 meals a day and my levels were between 6-7 with the odd 8 so I tried fasting and my levels started to drop between 4-6 they were like that for 3 weeks but now they've started to rise again so tbh I don't know what to do carry on or reintroduce breakfast

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know why my levels would rise on occasion and take a while to come down, but started to see a pattern, that this was when I skipped or delayed lunch so I came to the conclusion I was probably having liver dumps. Could this be the same happening to you? Its a bit frustrating when you are trying your best to win this diabetes game and things conspire against you. I was 4.9 yesterday after missing lunch, then saw levels rise over the evening up to 7.1 2hrs after evening meal. This morning BG was still around the sixes, just had a cup of tea with a dash of cream when I got up, forgot to have breakfast as I was gong out. When I tested at lunchtime I was still 6.0 it would usually be low 5s. Would have thought my bgs would have been a lot lower l but no.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know why my levels would rise on occasion and take a while to come down, but started to see a pattern, that this was when I skipped or delayed lunch so I came to the conclusion I was probably having liver dumps. Could this be the same happening to you? Its a bit frustrating when you are trying your best to win this diabetes game and things conspire against you. I was 4.9 yesterday after missing lunch, then saw levels rise over the evening up to 7.1 2hrs after evening meal. This morning BG was still around the sixes, just had a cup of tea with a dash of cream when I got up, forgot to have breakfast as I was gong out. When I tested at lunchtime I was still 6.0 it would usually be low 5s. Would have thought my bgs would have been a lot lower l but no.
used to eat 3 meals a day and my levels were between 6-7 with the odd 8 so I tried fasting and my levels started to drop between 4-6 they were like that for 3 weeks but now they've started to rise again so tbh I don't know what to do carry on or reintroduce breakfast. Its so frustrating!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Know what you mean about it being frustrating. I am trying to keep my levels stable for my next Hba1c in mid July I don't need to be seeing my levels jump for no apparent reason other than I have missed a meal. I think I will be going the least carbs for a while until I see my levels back to the more typical low 5s. I am sure you will get back to lower levels soon, particularly as you said this morning on another thread that you think you might be developing a cold. Wishing you well. C.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Know what you mean about it being frustrating. I am trying to keep my levels stable for my next Hba1c in mid July I don't need to be seeing my levels jump for no apparent reason other than I have missed a meal. I think I will be going the least carbs for a while until I see my levels back to the more typical low 5s. I am sure you will get back to lower levels soon, particularly as you said this morning on another thread that you think you might be developing a cold. Wishing you well. C.
Thank you. Whats even more frustrating is I tested on my mums meter after lunch yesterday(shes type 2 too, though different brand of meter) and I was 5.8 on my meter (tee2+) I was 7.5 no idea which one is right!
Hope all goes well with your hba1c next month

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was sent by an endocrinologist to have my thyroid function tests done. I have the results ,but will only meet with him again in August for a discussion. I hope that by then you will be happily back on track.

Good grief, Pasha - I would suggest by August your results will be out of date. I am still trying to sort my thyroid out, but I have tests every 6 weeks. Thyroid can be quite dynamic during the day, never mind over a couple of months.

Were your tests done first thing, fasting?

Reactions: Pasha

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you re the HbA1c. I am really paranoid about that as I don't really know how I am doing. I only know that getting bloods down has not been a walk in the park for me. Even doing 800 cals a day for 8 weeks when I was also exercising an hour a day, only got my bloods down to 47 and my body, according to the doc, into starvation mode! Doc has said my HbA1c needs to be below 47 if I want to avoid meds.

Regarding meter testing. I use Code Free but I find I can test 3 times with the same drop of blood yet have very different readings. Code Free might have the cheapest test strips but I am starting to think that the variance I see is too great to be completely confident in the product. I do know that sometimes it was me. I was just washing my hands without thinking but apparently according to one of the threads, even leaving soap on your hands can have an impact on the test.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you re the HbA1c. I am really paranoid about that as I don't really know how I am doing. I only know that getting bloods down has not been a walk in the park for me. Even doing 800 cals a day for 8 weeks when I was also exercising an hour a day, only got my bloods down to 47 and my body, according to the doc, into starvation mode! Doc has said my HbA1c needs to be below 47 if I want to avoid meds.

Regarding meter testing. I use Code Free but I find I can test 3 times with the same drop of blood yet have very different readings. Code Free might have the cheapest test strips but I am starting to think that the variance I see is too great to be completely confident in the product. I do know that sometimes it was me. I was just washing my hands without thinking but apparently according to one of the threads, even leaving soap on your hands can have an impact on the test.
I've not found it a walk in the park either tbh
Wow! 47 is just in the prediabetics range, lets hope you can stay off the meds
It is frustrating not knowing how you're doing isnt it? My gp surgery isnt very supportive and Im just left sorting this in my own. I had a Hba1c in April and I'm sure the nurse said it will be another year till I'm seen again!  :nailbiting:

I know meters arent 100% accurate that's why I try and look for trends. I've had readings that can jump about, doing more than 1 test with the same drop of blood. Doesn't make it easy to trust your meter does it. I've just tested 5.8 before lunch, the lowest I've been for over a week so I had to test again to be sure lol.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good grief, Pasha - I would suggest by August your results will be out of date. I am still trying to sort my thyroid out, but I have tests every 6 weeks. Thyroid can be quite dynamic during the day, never mind over a couple of months.

Thanks very much for your advice. I had the tests done on May 14/2019.

The results were as follows,taken from blood samples drawn in the fasted state.

TSH 0.92 miu [ range allowed 0.5........4.8 ]

Free Tyroxine[ FT4 14.4 pmol/l [range allowed 10.3........ 19.7

FBG was a surprising 82mg/dl or 4.6 m moles/l

Any comments welcome and much appreciated.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for your advice. I had the tests done on May 14/2019.

The results were as follows,taken from blood samples drawn in the fasted state.

TSH 0.92 miu [ range allowed 0.5........4.8 ]

Free Tyroxine[ FT4 14.4 pmol/l [range allowed 10.3........ 19.7

FBG was a surprising 82mg/dl or 4.6 m moles/l

Any comments welcome and much appreciated.

What was your FT3 and antibodies? You really need all of those for a fair idea of what's going on.

(If it's any consolation, my FT4 is lower than yours, and I'm medicated! My TSH is a good deal lower, but that's because it's suppressed by the synthetic hormone I take. We'll not talk about my T3 because it's the naughty child in my hormone portfolio. It will not come into range.)

Apologies for the diversion, @Starfish18 .

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What was your FT3 and antibodies? You really need all of those for a fair idea of what's going on.

(If it's any consolation, my FT4 is lower than yours, and I'm medicated! My TSH is a good deal lower, but that's because it's suppressed by the synthetic hormone I take. We'll not talk about my T3 because it's the naughty child in my hormone portfolio. It will not come into range.)

Apologies for the diversion, @Starfish18 .

FT3 and antibodies were not requested by the endo, for whatever reason . I shall ask why not at my next meeting with him.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FT3 and antibodies were not requested by the endo, for whatever reason . I shall ask why not at my next meeting with him.
If your thyroid is suspect, and you want to learn a bit more about that, as you did with your diabetes, I'd strongly recomment the Health Unlocked forum. My experiences over there have been excellent, and I have learned such a lot: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts