Electrolytes - Keto & Carnivore

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you make sure you are getting enough electrolytes eating keto and carnivore?

I've been getting dehydrated because I'm breastfeeding as well as eating mostly keto style lately. I just got some himalayan salt and I started having miso soup with walnuts, cheese, raw cauliflower and olives as a nightcap. It seems to be helping.
Just not sure if I am getting all electrolytes.
Today I ditched the homemade sourdough and small portion of legumes that I was sometimes still eating and had some roasted sweet potato as my small portion of carbs instead.
Dinner was chicken, sweet potato, mushroom, spinach, garlic, sour cream, butter, plenty of salt.

Lunch was liver fried in lard and garlic.

Breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled with melted boconncini cheese and avocado on the side. Also coffee and cream.
Had a couple of segments of mandarin while feeding some to the kids. Normally I was having raspberries with sourdough but I didn't have that today.

I had sips of goat's milk too.

Does that sound balanced enough to avoid dehydration (of course I have to drink enough water too and that could be my problem o_O)?

Last edited:
M

Member496333

I eat ketogenic carnivore almost exclusively, and honestly it’s not something I overthink. I just add a heap of salt to my meals. Others are more fastidious with this kind of stuff though and obviously that’s cool too.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat ketogenic carnivore almost exclusively, and honestly it’s not something I overthink. I just add a heap of salt to my meals. Others are more fastidious with this kind of stuff though and obviously that’s cool too.
I wouldn't be overthinking it except for the dry mouth, heart flip flops, occasional dizziness and leg cramps that don't feel quite normal. I think I must have been lacking something. I take Magnesium so it shouldn't be that. I'm also coming off the pregnancy hormomes at 6 weeks postpartum. That might have something to do with it too. Maybe the salt and miso will fix me up. I'm only onto my 3rd night of drinking miso soup with seaweed and I think it's been a bit better today already.
I'll see how it goes this week.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest not eating high carb foods such as the bread and potato - also legumes if they spike you, as the usual reaction to those foods is a trip to the bathroom to get rid of the glucose.
Swap to low carb salads and veges, drink a glass of water with your meals, maybe space out the food intake with small meals at regular intervals, with a wide variety of foods of all kinds except carby ones.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cocosilk - If you think you're electrolytes are awry, I suggest, quite strongly, you ask your doc to check it out. A quick blood test would likely do it. Electrolyte imbalance can become dangerous so isn't something to take lightly.

In the meantime, how about some beef broth?

Reactions: Cocosilk

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't be overthinking it except for the dry mouth, heart flip flops, occasional dizziness and leg cramps that don't feel quite normal. I think I must have been lacking something. I take Magnesium so it shouldn't be that. I'm also coming off the pregnancy hormomes at 6 weeks postpartum. That might have something to do with it too. Maybe the salt and miso will fix me up. I'm only onto my 3rd night of drinking miso soup with seaweed and I think it's been a bit better today already.
I'll see how it goes this week.
Ask GP for a bloodtest. Electrolyte imbalance can go either way, and at extremes can be harmful, At the moment you do not know if it is sodium or potassium that is becoming affected, hence the bloodtest to gain visibility, Then you can take steps to remove the problem.

Are you taking any diuretics? Water tablets? Some medications can affect the balance especially some BP meds or heart meds.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk - If you think you're electrolytes are awry, I suggest, quite strongly, you ask your doc to check it out. A quick blood test would likely do it. Electrolyte imbalance can become dangerous so isn't something to take lightly.

In the meantime, how about some beef broth?

I just told my husband we should make a family appointment with the GP and both have organ function tests done. (It's been a while.) I'll ask about electolytes too then. Thanks for suggesting that!
In the meantime, I was about to get the ox tail out of the freezer and slow cook it because I want my husband to try keto for a week with me before he goes back to work so that'll be our bone broth too I guess.

Last edited:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask GP for a bloodtest. Electrolyte imbalance can go either way, and at extremes can be harmful, At the moment you do not know if it is sodium or potassium that is becoming affected, hence the bloodtest to gain visibility, Then you can take steps to remove the problem.

Are you taking any diuretics? Water tablets? Some medications can affect the balance especially some BP meds or heart meds.
No meds, so it's probably been a lack of water and salt on keto but I'll try and have more potassium foods. I have been eating nuts everyday for a while. Breastfeeding alone can be very dehydrating so it's probably just the combination but I'll ask the GP about an electrolyte test when I go for my organ fuction blood test.

Last edited: