bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Vanilla has a few more carbs
Screenshot 2019-06-10 at 15.03.47.png

Ok but not perfect.. I'd go for a real greek yoghurt with fewer carbs there are quite a few sub 4g per 100g.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Get the plain greek yogurt (Not style Greek) add some vanilla extract and add some full fat coconut milk to the yogurt : ) 1 teaspoonful Vanilla Extract, 4 teaspoons of coconut milk to yogurt in a bowl. Get the thick coconut milk, oh and add a little sweetner of your choice..I also blend strawberries, Greek yogurt, sweetener together, to make a strawberry yogurt

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Or sometimes the vanilla flavour can be from castoreum which as we all know comes from a beavers butt. (posterior). :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just enjoying some of Lidl's Greek yoghurt which is 3.2 percent carbs - it only comes plain so can be adapted for different tastes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I persuaded Judith to buy plain greek yoghurt and berries frozen or fresh then mix some of the fruit in the yoghurt to take to work far better than the flavoured store bought ones.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get the plain greek yogurt (Not style Greek) add some vanilla extract and add some full fat coconut milk to the yogurt : ) 1 teaspoonful Vanilla Extract, 4 teaspoons of coconut milk to yogurt in a bowl. Get the thick coconut milk, oh and add a little sweetner of your choice..I also blend strawberries, Greek yogurt, sweetener together, to make a strawberry yogurt
The only difference between Greek yogurt and Greek style yoghurt is that the latter is not from Greece.

Reactions: Robbity

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The only difference between Greek yogurt and Greek style yoghurt is that the latter is not from Greece.
I find that Greek style yogurt is slightly higher in carbs and sugar. Total greek 5% fat is 3 carbs and 3 sugar per 100 gram. Some Greek style yogurt go up to 5.3 carbs per 100 gram, and 5.2 sugars

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I persuaded Judith to buy plain greek yoghurt and berries frozen or fresh then mix some of the fruit in the yoghurt to take to work far better than the flavoured store bought ones.
Also if you heat up the frozen strawberries in a pan, then let them go cold, put in fridge and mix with yogurt, you get the juice from the strawberries also

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat bucket loads of greek or greek style yoghurt. With double cream and either defrosted mixed berries, raspberries, strawberries or rhubarb. Burp. :D

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Nanjensim

All carbs get turned to glucose so it's the total carbs you need to count not just the of which is sugar bit
I’m helping my husband deal with type 2. We’re trying very hard to reduce sugar. So I’m confused re above. We might be ‘doing’ it incorrectly

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Making your own yoghurt is very healthy.
No yoghurt machines needed.

Bring milk to almost boil let cool down to feeling warm on knuckle.
Stir in very gently because you don't want to much air in there a tablespoon of live yoghurt you got from the shop.
I always go for plain full fat live if and when buying it.
Place in a kilner jar or as I do often a plastic screw top jar and place in airing cupboard .... yes I still have a tank in a cupboard which is handy ....or just somewhere warm.
Leave for 24 hrs and you have nice fresh live yogurt.
Then add your whatevers.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Making your own yoghurt is very healthy.
No yoghurt machines needed.

Bring milk to almost boil let cool down to feeling warm on knuckle.
Stir in very gently because you don't want to much air in there a tablespoon of live yoghurt you got from the shop.
I always go for plain full fat live if and when buying it.
Place in a kilner jar or as I do often a plastic screw top jar and place in airing cupboard .... yes I still have a tank in a cupboard which is handy ....or just somewhere warm.
Leave for 24 hrs and you have nice fresh live yogurt.
Then add your whatevers.
or pour the warm solution into a stainless steel food flask if you have one... same result....

Reactions: JTL

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a cooker with a pilot light - remember them? I used to make yoghurt by leaving the culture sitting over it all day on my heavy iron griddle, and at night I put the kettle over it so the water was warm next morning and took less time to boil - I used to have to catch the bus at silly o'clock when working in a cardboard box factory, so even the smallest saving of time was significant.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Nanjensim
Sugar is just a simple carbohydrate but all carbs will show up as glucose in your blood eventually. I have just looked at my grandsons box of Weetabix to give you an example.
A serving ( 2 biscuits ) is 26 grams of carbs of which sugars 1.6 grams
This just means that 1.6g of simple carbs will hit your blood almost immediately the other 25g of more complex carbs will take a little longer but will still raise your blood sugar levels.
A good rule of thumb is 5g of carbs = 1 teaspoon of sugar so a serving of Weetabix is around 5 teaspoons of sugar. Another thing to look out for is brown rice, wholemeal bread/pasta our bodies can't tell what colour carbs are they will all raise your levels.

Reactions: Lotties

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Nanjensim
Sugar is just a simple carbohydrate but all carbs will show up as glucose in your blood eventually. I have just looked at my grandsons box of Weetabix to give you an example.
A serving ( 2 biscuits ) is 26 grams of carbs of which sugars 1.6 grams
This just means that 1.6g of simple carbs will hit your blood almost immediately the other 25g of more complex carbs will take a little longer but will still raise your blood sugar levels.
A good rule of thumb is 5g of carbs = 1 teaspoon of sugar so a serving of Weetabix is around 5 teaspoons of sugar. Another thing to look out for is brown rice, wholemeal bread/pasta our bodies can't tell what colour carbs are they will all raise your levels.

Bit to balance that, some carbs take much longer to digest then others. The main thing you should look into is a meter. Lots of threads in the forum about them, try different meals and test after 1, 2, perhaps 3 hours and see if the bloods rise or not.

For example If i ate 35g of sugar, my bloods rise significantly, if I have 35g of whole wheat my bloods don't rise almost at all. Other people in here would find the same portion of whole wheat gives them an unacceptable rise in blood glucose levels.

It all depends on the person and their sensitivity to carbs, that's why meters are so useful or you don't really know what's impacting your partner's blood glucose levels.