Stools Glorious Stools

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard some say they have the.. ahem.... perfect poo while eating carnivore yet others sigh woefully about constipation on keto.

I noticed something else fairly weird although it seems to have subsided today when I changed a couple of things in what I was eating, but has anyone noticed, perhaps while transitioning to low carb / keto / carnivore, that they had mucus in their stools sometimes?

I can't work out yet if it happened because I was still including a small slice of sourdough rye with my morning eggs, or it may have been the 1/2 cup of chickpeas I snuck into a salad - it's not as bad today when I ditched those things for roasted sweet potato as my small amount of carbs, but I'm still wondering why the mucus when I never noticed it when eating those things - plus a whole lot more carbs - before diagnosis. I was constipated more often then and was blaming meat ironically.
Now I eat mostly meat, eggs, fish and cheese and don't have the big blockages but still small fairly managable (bite-sized shall we say) firm pieces, but sometimes with... moocus :***: or a hind gas that cannonballs the bits out when you're not quite sure if it's just a windy day or is it actually going to hail as well? (If you get my analogy o_O)

What gives?

Infection? Inflammation? Sudden new sensitivity? Or just the body adjusting (even though it's been a few months of low carb now).

If it's not everytime and not with blood, is it anything to worry about I wonder?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You had to ask Daf.. I had to oblige
Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 14.50.22.png

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't noticed the mucus as such but have got around (after about 12 months of carnivore) to 2 or 3 times a week number 4's on the above table.
Edit to add I have experienced some 1 and 2's as well in the early days.. but put it down to the transition from veg to no veg.. a teaspoon of magnesium citrate in a coffee was usually enough to "get things moving"

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't noticed the mucus as such but have got around (after about 12 months of carnivore) to 2 or 3 times a week number 4's on the above table.
Edit to add I have experienced some 1 and 2's as well in the early days.. but put it down to the transition from veg to no veg.. a teaspoon of magnesium citrate in a coffee was usually enough to "get things moving"
I have been taking Magnesium citrate (tablets) and magnesium phosphate and oxide in a combination one with calcium and Vit D since pregnancy. Still something unsettling me.
My hubby's got weird bowel movements too that I want him to get checked out. He has to go 3 x a day (his normal) but says they are good ones with no wiping except when he eats chillis - then he says it's "cleansing" him, but he mean he gets urgent diarrhea. And we haven't worked out the exact culprit for the deadly gas we are often dealing with, him much more than me. Something's up. Could be the sourdough but I was having the best poos when I was eating that regularly.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I got very constipated in the beginning, but am fine now. I find cauliflower and sprouts, helps me go to the loo, plus blackberries

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I got very constipated in the beginning, but am fine now. I find cauliflower and sprouts, helps me go to the loo, plus blackberries
I eat raw cauliflower regularly so I'll take notice if it helps. I made a soup the other night with salmon, coconut milk and a mix of veges including cauliflower and I had the opposite problem where it was too close to diarrhea for my liking. So the cooked veges definitely soften things but I have to work out the right balance.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
When I started taking the calcium carbonate/ D3 tablets handed out by NICE via the NHS (the cheapest source of calcium ions available) I had, for the first time in my life, horrendous constipation. No poo for a week then 2-3 hours in the loo and considerable pain. This stopped as soon as I stopped taking the supplement.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah, don't talk to me about blackberries.. ha ha I grew up in a warm climate and never got to eat berries much at all except for strawberries. But in these colder parts we fairly recently went to a blueberry farm to pick (and eat) our own... geez, I wasn't expecting the bellyache and diarrhea that the whole family ended up! It was the most blueberries I'd ever eaten at once though.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
When I started taking the calcium carbonate/ D3 tablets handed out by NICE via the NHS (the cheapest source of calcium ions available) I had, for the first time in my life, horrendous constipation. No poo for a week then 2-3 hours in the loo and considerable pain. This stopped as soon as I stopped taking the supplement.
My 81yo father told me the same thing happened to him. He's got osteoporosis so I'm not sure how he's fixing his calcium now that he stopped.
I had pretty bad constipation during pregnancy and the calcium tablets wouldn't have been helping either.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Oh yeah, don't talk to me about blackberries.. ha ha I grew up in a warm climate and never got to eat berries much at all except for strawberries. But in these colder parts we fairly recently went to a blueberry farm to pick (and eat) our own... geez, I wasn't expecting the bellyache and diarrhea that the whole family ended up! It was the most blueberries I'd ever eaten at once though.
LOL yes if you eat to many that can have an adverse effect.