Struggling to eat right

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last weekend was the folk festival at the town of Wimborne, I went to the singing on the Friday night, then was involved in the morris dancing during the day, attending various workshops out of interest - on the Saturday and Sunday evenings there were concerts I would have liked to attend, but I took my daughter and son in law and they were too tired to last the course both days.
They do realise that their diet is very heavy in carbs, but they seem to be addicted to them even though they do not give them the support one could hope for. They go on calorie reduced diets from time to time to lose the weight they gain.
We only get one life, it seems a pity to waste it just by putting the wrong fuel into our bodies.
I find it simple and easy - now that I have the energy back, to shop cook and eat low carb. I just add in a portion of something with carbs for my husband and he seems happy.
It is fine for someone else to eat junk - but I would never join them, in their folly - I do feel that there are people who just want to be looked after and use emotional blackmail to get their way.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s easier said than done. Some people are capable of knowing the consequences but eat it any way, some just want a small treat but realise that was a bad idea and some have their thumb firmly on no carbs. It works for you but it doesn’t work for everyone, some people are still getting to grips with it and learning. Unfortunately for some don’t really bother with their health and it is sad.
I always believed health is wealth, but it took me a while to realise that.
It is just a suggestion for OP, i never said this is THE method.
Also I have therefore mentioned the link in which the presenter says it has worked for someone else as well. So it's just not me.
No harm in sharing the advice I believe if asked.

Reactions: mashandsoph

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For OP, there are a lot of options for you to meal prep. Keep it simple and easy, it doesn’t have to be complicated. You can food prep 4-5 meals for two days (in total 8-10 similar variations of food ideas) and redo it. Slow cooker is good, streamer is also good for veggies etc, air fryer if you are feeling cheeky, bread maker if you are feeling creative to bake your own low carb keto bread and you can freeze extra portions or if there are left overs it can be used for breakfast or as a snack.
Agree with making more than one meal per prep time.Im going to put 8 racks of ribs in my BBQ now,then freeze em.Thats a lot of meals for one cook.Maybe that idea would work a bit for you to?

Gryph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...I look at a potato and see something that wants to kill me.Those yummy little fruit pies? They want to kill me too! I dont allow killers anywhere near me in my life,thats just bad judgement in my lifestyle.

I see a fatty piece of meat and I get all warm and cuddly feelings.It wants to make me well.And I have no issue frying up a hunk of meat,its simple,I see a smiley emoji when I look at it....

^^ this.

I can not echo this enough :) It is exactly how I have come to view things - the virtual killy/smiley emojis on stuff as I peruse.

Personally I find it helps to have a stash of LCHF friendly snacks stocked, so if I'm in a rush or only want a little of something, can grab one or two of those. I keep fresh raspberries and strawberries (for me, there's no difference in the two BG wise) with a pot of clotted cream in the fridge; a box of packs of psycho scratchings, 100g bags of raw almonds and raw macadamias (easy to measure), certain Biltong/Jerky (check the pack, often loaded with carbs), and 85% dark choc, and finally a jar of pickled eggs. That covers sweet, savoury, spicey and chocolate desires. I say desires, as cravings went out the window after 4 weeks fully LCHF.

If I want an alcoholic drink (I love a cold one) - Michelob Ultra lager in the fridge @ 2g carb a bottle/2.1g a can. Some single malt, Jack Daniel's Rye (Adnams Rye Malt if it's a special treat, that is so good!) for something harder. The vodka/gin and soda water with ice and a chunk of lime for something in a fancy glass.

When cooking meals there are only two of us, but we cook for 6 - then pack up 4 portions and freeze them as our own "ready meals" to reheat. Just have to remember that the freezer is just that, it's not a time machine - I've found some monstrous freezer burned remains of indefinite age.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Maybe go through the house with a bag for the foodbank and one for the trash? If it's not around, it can't get eaten. ;)

I did that when I first started lowering carbs, got rid of all the **** I knew was **** in the house and then didn't buy it. It was then a case of buy real food when shopping. Avoiding the obvious junk isles.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a family to cook for and I also have the exhaustion of M.E., so it's not always easy but there is no way that I'm going to eat anything that is going to harm me. My motivators are - 1) My dad died of diabetes complications at 58 and I don't want to (2) My health has been poor for years with M.E and I want to see an improvement (3) I have read the chapter in Jason Fung's Diabetes Code that goes through all the health problems linked with diabetes, including heart disease, stoke, blindness and amputations and if that isn't enough to motivate you nothing will. Sorry if this comes across as a bit stroppy, but you need to get your act together, stop making excuses and sort yourself out. At the moment you and your boyfriend are gambling with your future health.

Reactions: mashandsoph

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mashandsoph,Annie.....Thank you both for your posts,important topic.People will read this and be helped.
We are all different in our approaches.Some of us are very black/white,some of us are infinite shades of grey,but all of us share diabetes and we all want to get well.

You can do this,and you will because you must.

Every day cant be a gem,most of us have our slip-ups too,I sure have.My big bugaboos are keeping right portion sizes and snacking.But its working even when Im not perfect always,it will work for you too.Just need to get there in your own way.

Huge hugs to you both,we care.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gryph

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all so much for your replies I wasn’t expecting so many! I’m
Going to take the advice on board and try to get better at this