Type 1 getting back into Rugby... with a Libre sensor

kay2409

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi!

With the Six Nations being on at the moment, it’s whetted my appetite to get back into playing rugby! Especially seeing Henry Slade being a great advocate for Type 1 Diabetics!

My worry is when I first played rugby, we didn’t have the tech we do now and I use a Freestyle Libre sensor which has been brilliant! However because Rugby is a contact sport I’m dreading if my sensor gets ripped out.

I use rock tape to keep the sensor on normally so I don’t think this would do the job by itself!

Can anybody recommend any tips to keep my sensor secure until I need to remove it?

Thank you!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kay2409 . This a real tough one.
My only idea is probably a look at the rugby body armour that is available these days.
I know some of the tops cover the upper arms and come with padding not only on the shoulders but upper arms as well.
I’m hoping that you’re playing in the backs:):):). Not sure the ladies go any easier in the scrums than the guys do. Truth be known it probably gets more “ serious “. Not sure how a libre would fair whilst scrummaging.
Hope you find a solution.

Tonk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @kay2409

I had a similar problem. There's a few options tbh. Slade, i believe, uses a little bit of physio tape to keep it in place and then a bandage over the top to pad it and help to prevent damage. You can always see one arm is slightly more padded than the other.

Not sure body armour would help too much here. The problem I had was the the libre was really really bad at dealing with sweat. When you're slogging it out on the pitch I found the adhesive would just melt away. Took a risk and moved onto the Dexcom (which is what Sladey is on) and it's a big improvement. Mention you're a rugby player and they'll throw in some extra adhesive pads to assist with increased activity and then you can follow the physio tape + bandage method.

I reckon that's probably your best bet either way. Good luck to you and let me know how you get on!