Very worried

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi the last time I was on the forum at the end of April my bsg was a healthy 5.5. I stopped regular testing and just eat sensibly with the odd treat. My weight stayed much the same. Yesterday I thought I should check and was horrified my bsg was 12.1 and tonight it is 21 and I am away from London so I can't see my doctor for a few days. I am freaked out and I can't believe the results. Do these huge spokes happen? What can I do?????

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I won't lie, it's not good to be that high. Are you experiencing any other symptoms like frequent urination, extreme thirst?

Does you glucose level come down if you fast?
Are you otherwise unwell in any way?
What medications are you on?

Please consider dialling 111 and speaking with medical professionals, they may be able to get a doctor to you if you are away from home?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you washed your hands and retested to rule ou a rogue reading after the 21?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
This is going to sound daft..But if you have some cheese handy, cut up some cheese and eat it. If I have had a treat which is rare, I eat some cheese, and my BS's go down. I find that I can eat the odd apple as long as it is with cheese, Cheese seems to stop me spiking. I have baby bells at the ready..But as somebody said on here. Call 111 for some advice. Is the battery ok in your device? strips in date? I have found that if I wash my hands with a scented hand wash, that can alter the results, even after rinsing. Are you wearing perfume, after shave? as I have touched my neck even after washing my hands, the perfume can linger and give a wrong result

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Are the strips still in date?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the 21 wasn’t a rogue strip then I’d ask what you’ve been eating? Is there an obvious culprit? Is it coming down? If it’s not dropping then consider calling 111 for some advice.

ShortStuff

I would thoroughly wash my hands with lots of rinsing choose which finger you’re going to test and make sure it’s well rinsed then blot with paper towel. You might be picking up some fabric softener or detergent on the towels.

Or your meter /test strips might be incorrect. I had an issue with some in-date, but nearly not, strips on Friday reading really high. DNsaid it might be that they’ve been open too long long - quite possible.

Or do you know what you’ve eaten that’s likely to have sent it into orbit? Maybe something you accepted would spike you but didn’t expect it to be as bad?

My DN said to next time, to call the manufacturer of the meter as they can talk you through some tests not sure about on a Sunday night but depends on the manufacturers suppose

My experiences with 111 haven’t been good ,personally, I’d search for the nearest walk in if I wanted medical advice.

TRY not to panic as it certainly won’t help.

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for help. I am not sure if it's a rogue strip. I am using a Dario meter and app. I will try in a couple of hours before bed and wash my finger carefully.

Reactions: Serena51

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel OK - no thirst or peeing. I have a slight headache but it probably stress. All I had eaten before test were 2 boiled eggs and a crayfish salad. I had some chicken and carrots fir dinner.

I will do another test in 2 hrs.

My weight is stable at 81kg at 5'10

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Why wait two hours? If I saw a reading in the twenties I would be testing like mad.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel OK - no thirst or peeing. I have a slight headache but it probably stress. All I had eaten before test were 2 boiled eggs and a crayfish salad. I had some chicken and carrots fir dinner.

I will do another test in 2 hrs.

My weight is stable at 81kg at 5'10

Livewire, as @Diakat suggests, please check your strips are in date. If you haven't been testing for a while, they could have degraded, if the pot has been open a while.

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why wait two hours? If I saw a reading in the twenties I would be testing like mad.
Problem is I am deep In rural Somerset tonight and birdwatching in Wales for 3 days so very little med support. But one of my gang I'm meeting up with tomorrow is a type 1 diabetic so I can do a test on her meter and see how it looks. She can also advise me.
If I do another test now and it's bad then I won't sleep well and there is nothing whatsoever I can do tonight.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem is I am deep In rural Somerset tonight and birdwatching in Wales for 3 days so very little med support. But one of my gang I'm meeting up with tomorrow is a type 1 diabetic so I can do a test on her meter and see how it looks. She can also advise me.
If I do another test now and it's bad then I won't sleep well and there is nothing whatsoever I can do tonight.

Of course there is. Even rural Somerset has a hospital somewhere nearby and you obviously have comms . Please reconsider especially if you begin to feel at all unwell. Are you alone or with someone? Make them aware of your situation please if so.

If it’s high still, or worse, higher, not doing a test could be foolhardiness.

In the meantime, not instead of taking action I might add, do not eat any carbs til you can be sure levels are dropping. Drink plenty of water and if you can and feel ok walk a bit to help drop levels.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Livewire27 - as has been suggested, please call 111 straight away. This is not the time to prioritise recreational activities! I don't want to scare you, but this is a potentially urgent situation - just call 111 and explain everything. They really are very good.

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. Ok I have eaten very carefully and just checked and it is reading 11.1 which is spectacularly high for me but way down from 20 yesterday. I will check later on my friends meter and see how that looks. Thanks for your help and concern.

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK problem resolved my meter giving false reading. Checked on friends meter and I was a healthy 6.7 . Panic over.

Reactions: Antje77 and HSSS

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone who gave me encouragement and advice. You are an amazing forum.:)