Was on the waiting list for a full by-pass. Now recovering.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I haven’t been paying much attention to this thread as I’ve never had anything much constructive to add, but good luck with the op @ickihun.

Best wishes.
Thanks @Jim Lahey
I'm told I will still need basal insulin with novarapid or similar as an emergency. This however is based on no metformin nor any other diabetes med (all of which don't work on me). Metformin has been an excellent support to me for decades so returning to it without IBS would be heavenly.
Roux en y has excellent results on reducing diabetes care and research has said it can help to cure IBS and GERD of which I have both since changing my diet.
The new research stretches the ability to monitor longterm benefits and will continue to do so.
I've always benefitted on 600-800cals but my olds stomach couldnt stretch back like when I was in my teens eating that way.
This is my last attempt at resolving the heavy diabetes care I'm currently needing.

I will settle if I'm in the 15st mark bodyweight and management is reliable but not as heavy on the insulin units I currently need to have fantastic levels. My heart is starting to have to support my morbid obesity which never used to be the case in my old mobile state.
Restricted mobility due to trapped nerves and tablet side affects (dizziness and lethargic symptoms with weight gain) hasn't helped. At all.
Metformin and exercise as always been a fantastic maintenance programme. Of which I want to return too for a few years then try strict low/no carb eating again.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Came home yesterday. Less than 2 days from operation. Thursday afternoon operation was the Roux-en-y. Even though it was questionable if any adhesions from my burst appendix. Because all incisions were mainly on my left 2 muscles I suffered very bad muscle spasms and cramp. However now much less painful.
I'm delighted.
Currently no weight loss but swellings and glucose infusion at hospital so bgs were 11-13 then 8-13.
Fbgs are 8s.
Only need novarapid for over 11.0 bgs.

Feeling very optimistic!!!
Halved basal and quartered bolus for now.

Reactions: Pipp

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Came home yesterday. Less than 2 days from operation. Thursday afternoon operation was the Roux-en-y. Even though it was questionable if any adhesions from my burst appendix. Because all incisions were mainly on my left 2 muscles I suffered very bad muscle spasms and cramp. However now much less painful.
I'm delighted.
Currently no weight loss but swellings and glucose infusion at hospital so bgs were 11-13 then 8-13.
Fbgs are 8s.
Only need novarapid for over 11.0 bgs.

Feeling very optimistic!!!
Halved basal and quartered bolus for now.
Glad to hear from you how it went and that you are recovering well. I don’t understand the insulin doses but less sounds good!
A big gentle (((hug))) for you. Rest up and get well soon xx

Reactions: ickihun

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @ickihun. Look after yourself whilst you recover and don’t try to run before you can walk xx

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, @ickihun . You will recover better at home, as long as you remember no matter how well you feel, you have had major surgery, so take your time with the getting back to activities.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to hear from you, have been thinking about you - onwards and upwards from now on :) take good care of yourself and hope you have a speedy recovery x

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Wishing you all the best for a speedy and relaxing recovery @ickihun you really do deserve it!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am so glad the op went well and that you are now at home xx

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Wishing you a speedy recovery and a successful outcome.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased operation done and hope that you get back to full fitness soon - however do take it steady if kids will let you ! You’re important too - take care of yourself. I look forward to hearing your progress as you recover from what was a major operation. Take care x

Reactions: ziggy_w