Fish stocks threatened by Climate Change

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reported on the morning News TV today, and also reported in the Sun and the Mirror, there is a new study report published that claims many fish species will become extinct by 2050 unless we take steps to reduce global warming
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/9307862/fish-chips-global-warming-study/
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fish-chips-menu-unless-global-16527429

Apparently a California startup food lab has synthesised fish protein which will soon be appearing at a fast food outlet near you. Unfortunately it seems that it will be full of healthy Omega 6 fats, and no amino acids.

Quorn are reporting today that they have increased their production output by 22% this year, and that their market research is showing that 1 in 3 in the UK will be vegan by the end of this year. So we can munch fake fish instead, and everything will be all right - forget fish, think fungus instead.
https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/vegan-fishless-fingers

Here is what goe into a fishless fish product from Gardein:
Gardein:Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Expeller Pressed/Canola Oil, Potato Starch, Modified Vegetable Gum, Soy Protein Isolate*, Vital Wheat Gluten*, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors (From Plant Sources), Yeast Extract, Organic Cane Sugar, Citric Acid, Algal Oil (Plant Source Of Omega 3 Dha And Epa), Onion Powder, Pea

Apparently has added Omega-3 oils but DHA and EPA variant

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Here we go again :) Why isn't it 2048, say October

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Quorn are reporting today that they have increased their production output by 22% this year, and that their market research is showing that 1 in 3 in the UK will be vegan by the end of this year. So we can munch fake fish instead, and everything will be all right - forget fish, think fungus instead.
Protein produced from insects is also being suggested. I couldn't eat insects that look like insects, but food made from ground up insects would be ok.

Reactions: Pinkorchid
M

Member496333

I blame Star Trek.

tumblr_mb3fxve4fi1rz307wo1_1280.jpg

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The BBC is covering the fish story as well, and they have a reporter in the Quorn factory interviewing the Chief Nutritionist for KFC discussing the new releases hitting their outlets. Burger, fishsticks, chicken nuggets, and processed avacado puree which is turned into a sorbet with compressed air to make the pulp contain less calories and spread 3 times further. Subway has a similar product, but without the sorbet process, just added water and ascorbic acid apparently. I strongly suspect that the sorbet process is being developed so that the food can be dispensed from a countertop squirter like Coca Cola is done in the pub,

Soon we will not know what we are eating. (so? whats new I hear someone say)

Reactions: Guzzler

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Sounds great, what could possibly go wrong? :D

M

Member496333

The BBC is covering the fish story as well, and they have a reporter in the Quorn factory interviewing the Chief Nutritionist for KFC discussing the new releases hitting their outlets. Burger, fishsticks, chicken nuggets, and processed avacado puree which is turned into a sorbet with compressed air to make the pulp contain less calories and spread 3 times further. Subway has a similar product, but without the sorbet process, just added water and ascorbic acid apparently. I strongly suspect that the sorbet process is being developed so that the food can be dispensed from a countertop squirter like Coca Cola is done in the pub,

I was going to post a facepalm meme but couldn’t find one big enough to cover this. Yes good idea. Let’s reduce nutrient density so that we have to eat (buy) more of the same product.

I’ve decided if the day arrives where I can no longer eat natural food, I’m going to move to Alaska and buy a hunting rifle and a Rambo knife.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they said on TV today that sales of plant based foods are increasing all the time as more is introduced and are being bought not just by vegans and vegetarians but anyone who wants to enjoy them. I can never understand why some here gets so uptight about it no one is forced to eat it if they do not want to it is a personal choice.

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, many children do not know what they are eating. My nieces have no idea what goes into their chicken nuggets (and there's probably some ingredients I have no idea about) and don't know that chips come from potatoes ... they come from the bag in the freezer.
I think it is very sad.

Some adults I know won't eat food with a face which puts them off fish but, to me, this makes it more "real".

M

Member496333

I can never understand why some here gets so uptight about it no one is forced to eat it if they do not want to it is a personal choice.

Maybe because some of us feel that our right to make those exact personal choices is being slowly eroded to the point where there will be none. You’re welcome to sit back and wait for it to happen without protest if you wish, but that doesn’t mean that the rest of us have to do the same.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Protein produced from insects is also being suggested. I couldn't eat insects that look like insects, but food made from ground up insects would be ok.
Spicy crunchy crickets are very nice, and the legs make a great toothpick :D

Reactions: Kim Possible

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
My main issue to all of this is the reaction to global warming killing off fish... Yes let's reduce fish consumption by upping the amount of industrial produced substitutes. Which kick out a lot of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere either way through the use of electricity or through the factory. I'm all for saving the planet but this reeks of corporate pandering to make it look like they are doing something about the issue when actually they're not and just doing more harm than good. Look at the process first and how we get that produce around the world for crying out loud, keep things local.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do you remember when people found out that the red Smarties were given their colour using extracts of bugs? Manufacturers had to change to a different ingredient because of the dramatic fall in sales.
Sorry, I cannot see a time that I would knowingly eat bugs in any form.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes they said on TV today that sales of plant based foods are increasing all the time as more is introduced and are being bought not just by vegans and vegetarians but anyone who wants to enjoy them. I can never understand why some here gets so uptight about it no one is forced to eat it if they do not want to it is a personal choice.
We do have choice today as you say, but we may not have this freedom for much longer. When governments sign up to an 80% reduction in meat, they mean by restricting choice through legislation and taxation. This is starting with may's parting gift in the name of climate Change in the next month or so.

I have no problem with someone promoting plant based proteins, but I do object to them calling it meat or cheese as if it has the same or better nutrient values. It does not. We are being duped into thinking that eating impossible burgers instead of meat burgers is a healthy option, but so far these products are nutrient deficient and are NOT substitutes for an established foodstuff. In general plant based micronutrients such as vitamins are not as biovalent as animal based ones. So Vit A from beta carotene is hardly absorbed in the human body and a lot more is needed to have any effect to compare to one meat product. It is this deception that I find worrying since the general public are not informed about this, and cannot make an informed choice.

It is not just about whether it looks like, or tastes like or smells like that is important. I can use that same description to describe effluent.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
And someone is gonna have serious problems when trying to convince me that Wheat Gluten is "vital".

I can wait...

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My main issue to all of this is the reaction to global warming killing off fish... Yes let's reduce fish consumption by upping the amount of industrial produced substitutes. Which kick out a lot of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere either way through the use of electricity or through the factory. I'm all for saving the planet but this reeks of corporate pandering to make it look like they are doing something about the issue when actually they're not and just doing more harm than good. Look at the process first and how we get that produce around the world for crying out loud, keep things local.
One main reason why we are encouraged to eat fish is for the omega-3 oils and vitamins that come from them. Artificial fish flesh will need to have these added to provide this vital nutrient.

Here is a discussion document on fish oil vs plant based oils
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705349/

There is a new factory opened up in Spain to produce plant based Vit B12 and Omega-3 oils. The process starts with algae in a large vat, and a very complex process involving high temperatures, constant agitation, oxygen and hormone addition via aerators, and then a concluding step at ultra high temperatures to kill off the algae since it is harmful to human digestive tracts. Then the powder is further chemically processed to extract each of the required supplements. Each VAT takes several months to brew a batch of algae to maturity, and it cannot be re-used

The firm has started selling supplements suitable for vegans at very high price compared to the animal based equivalents, and all three supplements are poor biovalency so that they are not very effective (DHA / EPA). The plant consumes very high amounts of electrical energy and fresh water, as well as growth hormones and other feeding chemicals and fertilizers. The effluent has tp be further treated since it is not safe to be released into the groundwater system. This is supposed to be a sustainable process to save the planet? The factory by the way produces copious methane and CO2 from the contents of the VAT.