Type 1'stars R Us

XCheesyToastyX

Hi guys! Not been active on the forum lately as had a mad few months. Hope everyone is good!

So...I’m having a bit of a panic....I’m going abroad on the weekend and worried about what I can and can’t go through what machine at airport security?? Is the metal detector ok?

I have a Dana RS insulin pump and obviously a CGM monitor...

This is the list I’ve managed to do so far but just wondered if there’s anything else you’d advise?

3 letters from Diabetic Nurse, Endocrinologist and my GP stating all my medication and conditions.

Printed off a Medical Device Awareness Card.

Called Thomson to let them know about my conditions and got an extra hand luggage bag for my medication....

And obviously got travel insurance...

Picked up spare up insulin pens and needles just in case my pump malfunctions!
Is there anything else I need to do to prepare?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@Mel dCP a second hand book would be a good idea but my out-laws have the same snobbism against second hand as they do about growing their own veg and making their own food or clothes or gifts or ....
I think it is something to do with not having enough money in the past so they were forced to do this and now they have enough money they feel they have to spend it ... or something else I don't understand. I feel sorry for the grandchildren who are bought up to have exactly the same branded clothes and toys as everyone else rather than being individualistic and making their own. Don't get me started. At least no more than I already have.
I might look in the second hand book shop to see if there is something in good condition but buying online is too much of a risk of not being appreciated ... or being appreciated less than I would expect.
Here are the 2 I use, good pictures
IMG_2894.JPG

Reactions: Kim Possible

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP a second hand book would be a good idea but my out-laws have the same snobbism against second hand as they do about growing their own veg and making their own food or clothes or gifts or ....
I think it is something to do with not having enough money in the past so they were forced to do this and now they have enough money they feel they have to spend it ... or something else I don't understand. I feel sorry for the grandchildren who are bought up to have exactly the same branded clothes and toys as everyone else rather than being individualistic and making their own. Don't get me started. At least no more than I already have.
I might look in the second hand book shop to see if there is something in good condition but buying online is too much of a risk of not being appreciated ... or being appreciated less than I would expect.
Ah, I get you. I have some people in my life like that.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys! Not been active on the forum lately as had a mad few months. Hope everyone is good!

So...I’m having a bit of a panic....I’m going abroad on the weekend and worried about what I can and can’t go through what machine at airport security?? Is the metal detector ok?

I have a Dana RS insulin pump and obviously a CGM monitor...

This is the list I’ve managed to do so far but just wondered if there’s anything else you’d advise?

3 letters from Diabetic Nurse, Endocrinologist and my GP stating all my medication and conditions.

Printed off a Medical Device Awareness Card.

Called Thomson to let them know about my conditions and got an extra hand luggage bag for my medication....

And obviously got travel insurance...

Picked up spare up insulin pens and needles just in case my pump malfunctions!
Is there anything else I need to do to prepare?

Hello! Extra test strips and hypo treats? I don’t have a pumo so I can’t comment.

Reactions: XCheesyToastyX

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Asians have this going on in families, my uncle who has two boys (very cute boys) and having boys is a very big thing and they get everything. If something isn’t to their standards, they won’t appreciate it. For example if I gave my cousin £10, in chinese yuan it’s about 100 元. Their mum would be like “is that it?” So my mum doesn’t bother giving them money anymore.

XCheesyToastyX

Wow - it sounds as if you are prepared.

You can go through the metal detector but most pump manufacturers advise against x-raying the pump although CGM is fine.
If you are asked to got through the full body scanner, politely explain that your pump manufacturer advises against this and, as it keeps you alive, you are not going to try it out. I have found some airport security apply a little pressure but, as long as I remain calm and polite, they are fine.
If your pump has a metal clip (my Animas does), remember to remove this before going through the metal detector. In fact, I find it is best to be ultra sensitive to removing anything which could set off the metal detector (belt, jewellery, hair slide, watch, ...) to minimise the chance of setting off the alarm and being invited into the body scanner

As @MeiChanski mentioned make sure you have enough test strips in case your CGM fails and spare batteries for your meter (or a way to charge it if it is rechargeable).
I am not familiar with the Dana RS insulin pump but if it uses batteries, make sure you have spares.

I have syringes as pump backup when I am out. This saves me carrying pens and extra insulin with me all the time. The syringes are useful to tide me over for a couple of hours.
If you have these, take some with you on your holiday.

Always always always take twice as much of everything than you think you may need. So take extra insulin, pump set changes, test strips, etc.

When on the plane, make sure you have hypo treatment close to hand. Once, I put my bag in the overhead locker and then had a hypo when the seatbelt sign was illuminated and couldn't get to my GluoTabs. I have not made that mistake twice.

Regarding spare insulin pens, you definitely need these for your holiday but, when you return, remember you MUST have these available at all times. Your pump could fail any time so you MUST have a back up. So, keep a note of their expiration date and reorder some more before they expire (you probably have a year or more to forget this but don't).

Most importantly, have an amazing trip.

Thank you for your advice, I’ve been diabetic a long time however only in the last year have got an insulin pump, CGM etc so it’s a lot more to think about!

I think my main worry was the metal detector as it just feels wrong to walk through it with the pump but I understand why it’s fine! Haha!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Oh phew, I'm home. Husband is sorting me out a cheese (vegan) and tomato sandwich, 'cos it's cold and I'm so tired. I'd like a big slice of chocolate cake but it ain't gonna happen because I haven't made one! I might have to rootle around in the kitchen and see what's yummy (and will need loads of insulin) just 'cos I want comfort food.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Removed the wallpaper from dining area and in the middle of sweeping up all the mess, so having a cuppa then out on the school run again.
Hope the day is going well for you all :)
Spag Bol I think for dinner tonight:hungry:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh phew, I'm home. Husband is sorting me out a cheese (vegan) and tomato sandwich, 'cos it's cold and I'm so tired. I'd like a big slice of chocolate cake but it ain't gonna happen because I haven't made one! I might have to rootle around in the kitchen and see what's yummy (and will need loads of insulin) just 'cos I want comfort food.....

Go for WuTwo :hungry::)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Cheese & tomato toastie, too many Oreos, large quantity of lentil crisps. Oooops!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

OK - general afternoon of stuff your face on whatever you fancy then!

grabbingchokky.gif

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes