Diagnosis delay

Paulm80

Hi all, sorry for all the questions I’m just confused is all, I was called in to drs last Friday and told I had diabetes - unsure what type. Have further blood and urine and told I should come in Tuesday ( tomorrow) for diagnosis. Just rang surgery and now they are saying come in back in ten days for more bloods and 13 days to see dr! Is this normal? I have no faith in my surgery at all as they are useless!!!
Any feedback appreciated

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Paulm80

Ok when you saw your doctor how did they check you had diabetes was it a HbA1c (3 month average blood glucose test) or just a meter test ?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You need to ring the surgery and ask for the results of your blood test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just rang surgery and now they are saying come in back in ten days for more bloods and 13 days to see dr! Is this normal
They probably want to repeat the HbA1c test to make sure that the result of the first is replicated by the second before making a diagnosis. That's the usual way it's done in England anyway. 2 HbA1c tests in 2 weeks and if both are over the threshold for diabetes they will diagnose from those. I presume when you say it was a routine blood test they took blood from your arm and filled a tube rather than just pricked your finger?

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

They probably want to repeat the HbA1c test to make sure that the result of the first is replicated by the second before making a diagnosis. That's the usual way it's done in England anyway. 2 HbA1c tests in 2 weeks and if both are over the threshold for diabetes they will diagnose from those. I presume when you say it was a routine blood test they took blood from your arm and filled a tube rather than just pricked your finger?

Yeah I was being tested after a diverticulitis attack got nasty, I’ve already had 2 rounds of blood tests tho, do they normally do a3rd?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I was being tested after a diverticulitis attack got nasty, I’ve already had 2 rounds of blood tests tho, do they normally do a3rd?
Guessing it depends what they were looking for the first 2 times?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I should of asked more questions but I was a bit stunned, think the 2nd one may have been cholesterol but to be honest was all a bit of a blur!
When you go back be sure to ask for a printout of all the test results and maybe register for online access then you can get them whenever you want.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
They took absolutely ages with mine as well so you're not alone there @Paulm80 but fingers crossed you can get something back soon. Like BB said they may just be looking for a second HBA1C to confirm as is the norm but then it's best to ask after a C-Peptide just in case.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is important you contact the surgery and ask for a print out of all your recent blood test results. You are entitled to these. These will show which tests you had and the results. You can do the same thing when you have your next lot of tests. If you don't understand them, no worries. We will help you.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
If you were put on steroids for the diverticulitis attack that will alter your blood sugars. (also being sick)
Ask for your results so you can keep track of them. But they also might want a more "normal" blood draw.

Paulm80

If you were put on steroids for the diverticulitis attack that will alter your blood sugars. (also being sick)
Ask for your results so you can keep track of them. But they also might want a more "normal" blood draw.

Hi there, wasn’t on steroids just anti biotics

Reactions: Marie 2