Emie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness, impolite people, spiders
Hi there.

I am a type 1 diabetic have been for nearly 5 years.
Im writing this as i need advice regarding my 18 year old daughter.
She has had quite a few things happen to her this past month or so.Firstly she was rushed into hospital with pains and it ended up being a cyst on her ovary, she had keyhole surgery and this was removed.
Then a week ago she woke in the morning with a numb tongue and the right side of her face was paralysed, straight to hospital and was told Bells Palsy. She is taking 10 steroid tablets for 10 days so has 3 days left. During this month her sugar dropped to 3.7 (worked all week and was missing meals ) but then today we went for fish and chips and ice cream at the seaside so ate the last thing at 2.40pm. She went to work for 4 then i went to see her about 6.30 checked her sugar and it was 10.3! is this normal for a non diabetic?? The paramedic said the 3.7 was fine for her if she hasnt been eating properly so thought nothing more of it until this evening with the 10.3. I am the only one with diabetes in the family. Just concerned.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak of my experience with my son last summer. He is 24 years old and was very ill rather quickly. When he got to A & E hi blood sugar level was 2.4. They got his levels back up within hours and he has had no issues since. It was just the illness and subsequent lack of eating which had done this. He can spike into double figures after a carby meal, then go down quickly and stay level. However, he has AS and i am developing a suspicion that some people with AS do not process carbs in the same way as others.

I do not know about your daughter, it seems wise to monitor this and see what happens.

(AS-Autism Spectrum)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Steroids can raise sugars. But why are you testing her?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the steroids may well be the cause of the problem as they are known to raise BS

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Even a small amount of steroids, 5 mg will spike my sugar levels to over 16 mmol.

It is wise to keep an eye out for type 1 as it does run in families. They can actually test people now before you get type 1 to see if you are likely to develop it? I don't know a lot about that, but there was a big sign in my old endos office saying if you have type 1 you can get your kids tested for the markers if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc and WuTwo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steroids increase sugar levels (as it makes our Adrenal Glands dump cortisol/glucose. Same as the 'dawn phenomenon we get sometimes.)

Best advice would be to test her regular-ish, keep an eye on her levels. If after a little while it's still worrying, take her in for a blood test. Really hope she's okay!