Holiday

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
Thinking of going to Turkey next year with family ,can anyone tell me what's best to eat if all inclusive I'm type 1,and would anyone know if its OK to do a boat trip for the day ,do they supply food, thanks

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you fairly new to it all.....?

You can literally eat and drink anything you want.....

boat trip should be cool too.....as you should always carry hypo treatment with you at all times......

Reactions: tawsy1
D

Deleted Account

@tawsy1 as you take NovoRapid, would I be correct in assuming you carb count?
If so, diabetes should not restrict what you eat in Turkey.

I have no experience of all inclusive resorts but after 15 years of extensive travel with my type 1 throughout Europe, America and Africa, I have had no trouble with food on holiday.

As @novorapidboi26 mentioned, take your hypo treatment with you in case you miscalculate your insulin dose or are more active than usual and have a brilliant time.

Reactions: tawsy1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The heat could make you go higher or lower (I have a lot of hypo's in hot weather!) so make sure to keep an eye on your levels!

Your best bet would be simple carbs to give you a steady release, but honestly you can eat whatever you like as long as you're injecting properly for it!

Make sure to keep your insulin cool! And remember, watermelon has a very high glycaemic index (How fast it affects your levels), so if hypo you could treat yourself to a huge portion of that ;)

Enjoy yourself and stay safe!

(P.S It might be a good idea to get yourself a medical ID bracelet/necklace or even set your phone background to a blank photo with In Case of Emergency information on) :angelic::angelic:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of going to Turkey next year with family ,can anyone tell me what's best to eat if all inclusive I'm type 1,and would anyone know if its OK to do a boat trip for the day ,do they supply food, thanks

Hi there, I would say pretty much what you eat now if you're happy with it? How long have you been type 1, I'm guessing not very long. You have plenty of time to see what individual foods do to you and to gauge how much insulin you need for them and how any activity affects you, etc. Once you have a few months under your belt you will quickly be able to take a rough guess (well, more than rough hopefully) as to what you wish to eat in Turkey. What type of foods do you eat now and how do you currently manage your condition? It would be good for us to know what type of diet you follow because you will get different advice depending on that fact. x

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your hotel meals are the buffet type that is ideal. Whatever your diet, you can mix and match a combination of food that suits you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your hotel meals are the buffet type that is ideal. Whatever your diet, you can mix and match a combination of food that suits you.

True! I love a buffet breakfast :hungry:

(To OP):
Little tips for this would be: Check the carb amount in the Yoghurt pots (If there are any!). If they're super high in sugar and low in protein, these will cause a fairly quick spike. If there is a decent amount of protein, it should be slightly steadier.

The only difficult part might be pastries, like croissants. As they vary in size & carb content, it's difficult to perfectly guess how much to inject for. I highly recommend the Carbs & Cals app for your phone. It's £4.99, however lists the nutritional info on food and gives you a few photos to choose from to match your portion size as best as possible :happy: