June 2019 - Group Fasting Support

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from @Chook 's excellent March thread and to plagiarize even more I'm just going to paste the original post:

"This thread is for everyone who wants to fast and would find it helpful to share their experience and receive or provide support for others.:)

There are no rules as to how long your fast should last or what type of fast you chose to do. Some people may want to just use drinks with no carbs or calories and others may want to have an occasional slug of double cream in their coffee or a cup of bone broth. Its up to you."

I was going to start with a bit of IF for this month but actually started with a 4 day water/coffee/fake broth fast which worked wonders for the weight, bloods and mind and am now doing a bit of a refeed as have to drag my fat @Rse round 26.2 miles on Saturday.

I know @jpscloud wants in as do a couple of others so come on over the water's lovely.

Reactions: jpscloud

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hooray, for the team fast. I'm fasting. 24 hours every other day. Dirty fasting. Coffee with cream. And water.

Your 4 day fast sounds terrifying. What on earth is fake broth?

Reactions: jpscloud and MontyZ

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ert and welcome onboard.

Fake broth is Bovril - banned from cooking up the real stuff at home from the OH!

I actually enjoyed the 4 day fast and probably easy than the IF I am doing at the moment. How long have you been doing your routine?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi @ert and welcome onboard.

Fake broth is Bovril - banned from cooking up the real stuff at home from the OH!

I actually enjoyed the 4 day fast and probably easy than the IF I am doing at the moment. How long have you been doing your routine?
I could try Bovril. It is allowed if it's under 50 calories? Is that the rule you're following?
I've just started my 24 hrs. The first one the day before yesterday. I've managed the 16:8 for five weeks. I'm a newbie.

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just playing it by ear at the moment to find out what works/doesn't and then carry that on from July. Only drank the Bovril as it was in the back of the cupboard and about 2 years out of date and leaking from the package!! It was a pleasant change from Black tea/coffee and prob because of all the rubbish in it - hit the spot but unsure if I will or won't buy some more when it runs out.

Of course it's allowed - you're making the rules about what your fast is and how it fits into your lifestyle. Best of luck and look forward to comparing notes.

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No fasting planned for the weekend and just mulling over next week's plan of action.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I've been deeply in denial for a little while again. I'm not really sure if I should call it denial because I do understand and acknowledge the carb addiction, but at times I slide back into my old habits and start organising my life so that i can continue doing so.

Fasting, I hope, is my saviour. I'm re-reading The Complete Guide To Fasting and hope to do an extended fast now to do a little bit of good after all the harm.

I will have coffee with cream, lemon and ginger tea (twinings, no additives listed) and water. If I have terrible hunger pangs I'll have some marmite in hot water. I don't like bovril or bone broth unfortunately.

Starting weight: back up to 272lbs
FBG 6.7
BP will do later
Ketones will measure after today

I'm just going to aim for extended (more than 36 hours) rather than set a goal, because goal-setting tends to make me feel like a failure when I don't make it.

So today I feel bloated and unwell, hardly surprising considering the weight gain from overeating and ridiculous food choices. My mantra will be that this is free medicine of the rarest sort - even a small amount works.

Reactions: MontyZ

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK - got the marathon out of the way (SAT) and recarbed with copious amounts or red wine on Fathers day - going to have one meal a day for a couple of days and then if you want to hit it together @jpscloud do an extended fast - how about last meal Wednesday or Thursday this week?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm starting today and will go as long as I can. I hope I'll still be going on Thursday!

Sorry for not waiting - I have to strike while the iron is hot.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Good to join you! Doing intermittent fasting, either OMAD or two meals in a 4 or 5 hr window, depending on my hunger levels that day. Keeping carbs under 30g a day. Been doing this for a month.

Did a 3 day fast at the beginning of May and stopped because of nausea and weakness. I hadn't been on a low carb diet very long then, though, and I don't think my body was ready for it.

Good luck with your fasts guys!

Reactions: MontyZ and jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a surprisingly good day, considering I haven't been low carb at all just recently. I do want to eat, very much, and it takes a big effort not to, especially now at my usual dinnertime. No real hunger pangs, just the habit calling. Usually I'm less able to resist as time goes by but we'll see.

Day 1
Starting weight: back up to 272lbs
FBG 6.7
BP 132/71 (just before my evening med for BP)
Ketones will measure after today

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear! Caved after I posted last night, and had some eggs. It wasn't hunger, more mental anguish. I feel a bit worried that I may not be able to do extended fasting successfully any more, but I'm not giving up yet.

I will try for an extended fast again next week, or even this week if I can, but I'm going to go for OMAD otherwise. I feel much better just for that 20 hour fast yesterday, so all is not lost. I'll post numbers later.

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that @jpscloud - them eggs hey!

If you want to jump back in this week I'm kicking off on Thursday.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear that @jpscloud - them eggs hey!

If you want to jump back in this week I'm kicking off on Thursday.

Thanks @MontyZ - I try to avoid fasting at weekends as I'm prone to catastrophic failure then, but if all is well I'll try a two or three day one this week. I'm going easy on myself, though, to try to stay with it and not spend too much time off the rails.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear! Caved after I posted last night, and had some eggs. It wasn't hunger, more mental anguish. I feel a bit worried that I may not be able to do extended fasting successfully any more, but I'm not giving up yet.

I will try for an extended fast again next week, or even this week if I can, but I'm going to go for OMAD otherwise. I feel much better just for that 20 hour fast yesterday, so all is not lost. I'll post numbers later.
"Egg fasting" i.e.only eating eggs is a "thing" though so all is not lost..
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/egg-fast/

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday,s numbers:
FBG 5.5
Weight 269

I didn't measure BP, too busy, and I'm not measuring ketones unless I do a proper extended fast.

Yesterday was an "eating" day (17.5/6.5), fasted until 12.30pm then had a tuna mayo salad for lunch. I had beef mince with broccoli for dinner, but also then had some other stuff that shall not be named here. FBG is up to 7.5 this morning, need I say more?

I'm struggling with increased appetite, and have been for a while now. I know I need to get lower carb habits back, so I'm doing my best. If it feels right I'll extend my fast until tomorrow 11am, but given my feeble weakness at the moment I'm hedging my bets with OMAD!

MontyZ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok - I’m in play with Plan A to fast til Monday but if we go to the in laws on the weekend will have to finish early (they’re Greek)

Found a fasting app called Zero and have no idea if it will be useful or not!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck @MontyZ - my OMAD default is working to keep me from going on all day binges, and evening eating wasn't too bad yesterday either (by my standards, which sadly are a lot lower than many!)

Yesterday's numbers:
FBG 7.5
Weight 269

Today's numbers:
FBG 6.0
Weight 268