Fish stocks threatened by Climate Change

M

Member496333

Insects are food in other parts of the world. In Thailand food carts go down the sois selling all kinds of insects - and scorpions! :wideyed:
I've not been able to bring myself to try them.

Totally agree, I was referring just to processed food in general being invented as alternatives to real food :)

Food should be made from food. Not food-like products made in an industrial cauldron.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you remember when people found out that the red Smarties were given their colour using extracts of bugs? Manufacturers had to change to a different ingredient because of the dramatic fall in sales.
Sorry, I cannot see a time that I would knowingly eat bugs in any form.
I had a similar reaction when I realised what the peed in Compeed stood for, It is actually a remedy from the Middle Ages.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are snacks in Thailand. I didn't try then actually. I tended to stick with the magnificent suckling pig or crackling from street food, if we were on the hoof.

Around 50p a tray, or £1.25-ish for 3 trays

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 319

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had a similar reaction when I realised what the peed in Compeed stood for, It is actually a remedy from the Middle Ages.
And it is? I await your response with not a little trepidation...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can never understand why some here gets so uptight about it no one is forced to eat it if they do not want to it is a personal choice.

Maybe read a bit more about the Eat Lancet Commission then?
They want to legislate and/or tax meat eating out of existence.
You may then understand why so many get "uptight" about it?

Dark Horse

Apparently a California startup food lab has synthesised fish protein which will soon be appearing at a fast food outlet near you. Unfortunately it seems that it will be full of healthy Omega 6 fats, and no amino acids.
Proteins consist of chains of amino-acids - if there are no amino-acids, it's not a protein.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
This seems very unlikely - do you have a link, please?

I have to say I agree. There are about 600,000 of us countrywide at the moment. The leap to many millions by the end of the year (some six months away) seems a bit unlikely (however much us 600k might like it :happy: ).

M

Member496333

One third of the population as vegans by the end of 2019 is probably wishful thinking rather than a prediction. That is of course while we still have a choice in the matter.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a live show that I did not record. Sky TV at around 6 am. I have no link. It was the Quorn factory in Yorkshire, The BBC was also transmitting from the same location concurrently, so it was obviously planned in advance.

The figure will I would think cover Flexitarians as well, and Milleninals trying out the fab new cuisine. Quorn are reporting a 22.4% increase this year in vegetarian products, and the Fake Meat companny launched on the stock exchange this year and trippled its valuation in a day. So there is a market for these products, as shown by Greggs and McDonalds also launching Meat Free meals.

Edit to add: of the 4 members of my immediate family, 3 have switched this year to vegetarian diet and lifestyle. One is vegan, the other two are flexitarian. My freezer has been declared a meatfree zone. as has the fridge. I am limited in which pots and pans I can use for my meals.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
KFC have launched their vegan not-chicken burger this week as well. My d-i-l is really looking forward to trying one. Papa John's have started selling a vegan pizza too!

I'm not that fond of quorn tbh; I use their recipe book but substitute for the quorn. Don't much care for the texture....

Reactions: MeiChanski

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
KFC have launched their vegan not-chicken burger this week as well. My d-i-l is really looking forward to trying one. Papa John's have started selling a vegan pizza too!

I'm not that fond of quorn tbh; I use their recipe book but substitute for the quorn. Don't much care for the texture....
It is nice that you have a choice.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Edit to add: of the 4 members of my immediate family, 3 have switched this year to vegetarian diet and lifestyle. One is vegan, the other two are flexitarian. My freezer has been declared a meatfree zone. as has the fridge. I am limited in which pots and pans I can use for my meals.

That seems a bit harsh. I bought a new fridge for my stuff because my husband is flexi but with a bias to meat and fish. And new pans (some are looking a bit used now though tbh) Seemed easier, and more of a compromise.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 2018 study by comparethemarket.com found that approximately 7% of British people were vegan, while 14% were vegetarian. The results of this study however are questioned by the UK Vegan Society who found out the sample was based on only 2000 people.

This was 2018, but this year has seen a surge in activity. The Quorn statement was an expression of marketing research and was not based on signed up membership.

This is what the supporters are claiming for this year
https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/uk-vegan-population-will-skyrocket-by-327-by-2020-claims-poll

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

The latest figures are (according to the Vegan Society)

The number of vegans in Great Britain quadrupled between 2014 and 2018. In 2018 there were 600,000 vegans, or 1.16% of the population; 276,000 (0.46%) in 2016; and 150,000 (0.25%) in 2014. Sources:Ipsos Mori survey, commissioned by The Vegan Society, 2018, and The Food & You surveys, organised by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and the National Centre for Social Science Research (Natcen).

The sign-ups for the Veganuary campaign - where people eat vegan for the month of January - nearly doubled in 2019, with a whopping 250,000 people signing up. In comparison, there were 168,500 participants in 2018; 59,500 in 2017; 23,000 in 2016; 12,800 in 2015; and 3,300 in 2014.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reported on the morning News TV today, and also reported in the Sun and the Mirror, there is a new study report published that claims many fish species will become extinct by 2050 unless we take steps to reduce global warming
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/9307862/fish-chips-global-warming-study/
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fish-chips-menu-unless-global-16527429

Apparently a California startup food lab has synthesised fish protein which will soon be appearing at a fast food outlet near you. Unfortunately it seems that it will be full of healthy Omega 6 fats, and no amino acids.

Quorn are reporting today that they have increased their production output by 22% this year, and that their market research is showing that 1 in 3 in the UK will be vegan by the end of this year. So we can munch fake fish instead, and everything will be all right - forget fish, think fungus instead.
https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/vegan-fishless-fingers

Here is what goe into a fishless fish product from Gardein:
Gardein:Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Expeller Pressed/Canola Oil, Potato Starch, Modified Vegetable Gum, Soy Protein Isolate*, Vital Wheat Gluten*, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors (From Plant Sources), Yeast Extract, Organic Cane Sugar, Citric Acid, Algal Oil (Plant Source Of Omega 3 Dha And Epa), Onion Powder, Pea

Apparently has added Omega-3 oils but DHA and EPA variant
Fish stocks being reduced by climate change and overfishing.

Apparently climate change will be great for jellyfish.

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Totally agree, I was referring just to processed food in general being invented as alternatives to real food :)

Food should be made from food. Not food-like products made in an industrial cauldron.
what about these:
Termite Love it or hate it
Butter-fly
Hornets - a night cap
Beef moth (hors d'oeuvre)
Mosquitel a new type of grape
Cicadas - clearly an acquired taste
Yellow-jackets Not good for Type2's
Chafers' jelly
Cabbage White
Peppered moth
Waspic?