Was on the waiting list for a full by-pass. Now recovering.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Great to hear you are home and well.

Reactions: ickihun

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done for getting through the surgery and getting home. It will only get better from this moment in time. You will do so well with your weight loss. Remember, this surgery is a weight loss tool, you still need to watch your food intake and make healthier choices to keep the weight off. People think this major surgery is a "quick fix", which really annoys me! Congrats @ikihun...no going back now! x

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to hear all went well with the surgery. Take it easy and take care

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad that your're back home after the surgery. Wish you speedy recovery.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I'm still delighted with my op. I can manage the foods which only need very little to get digested and next week I can try lumpy food. I've mashed most foods til now. I'm in no hurray to go back on heavy foods. In fact I'm enjoying my food mashed especially veggies. Meat and fish too if I'm being honest. Luckily I can now afford better quality food. Little but often is ok by me. Still low calorie and low fat. Which is a doddle now. Now without hunger dictating the pace.
I wish I'd done it 4yrs ago but I don't think my head was ready then though.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @ickihun and you have put up with so much for so long you deserve now to recover gently and look forward to a better life. Best wishes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Get well soon and wishing you a speedy recovery x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thx @Robinredbreast.
I can have lumpy food next week but I'm being honest I love the phase I'm at. I can take foods or leave them.

Shattered today. But had s great time with friends at a bbq.

A bbq is not just the food, it's a social gathering with family and friends and you obviously enjoyed it very much :)
All the best for a positive road to recovery :):)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well my 5 incisions are nearly clear scars (which will fade), especially if I keep them out of the sun.
I'm suffering more with my bad back and scatica in my right leg than anything. Even one tramadol (tablet) isn't enough. So back on 2 with liquid paracetamol. It's when it wears off I'm in agony with my back. It seems worse than before op but a very different pain.
At first I thought my body was trying to reject staples as I felt in full blown labour. Heavy stomach muscular contractions but on ward I was given morphen and it settled right down. The ward sister and team were exceptionally brilliant. This one event only went on for a few minutes. A few hours later my surgeon came to check on my progress. He told me my stomach wall was tough to pierce so I have muscular pain which is expected. My strong stomach muscles which prevented any hernias was an inconvenience to the procedure but never the less was acccumplished by my brilliant surgical team. They were brilliant as they avoided open surgery.
3½wks in and I only wish I'd had it done sooner.
On rising this morning I have no stomach pain but loads of back pain.
I'm going to try and do a bit more walking this week.
I did carry 2 light bags on Friday so I think has pulled my back again. Scatica was there well before Friday. So no bags til I can strengthen my back muscles to same standard as my stomach ones.... me thinks.
I know I don't have to join a gym but I might need something to help with my back muscles now I'm getting older. Manual driving lessons are on the cards first. I've driven automatic for decades but only working car accessible today is a manual mini. Which would at least carry my bags and then get me to the gym I like... and back.
Like all areas in the UK our public transport has been cut and planned to be cut again. Shame on the mostly driving government purse holders. They should try to be me or the elderly frail. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good news that the scars are looking nice and healthy. Hope the pain is soothed soon. Perhaps ask your team for a physio appt to show you some suitable back exercises as things may have to take the surgery into account?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good news that the scars are looking nice and healthy. Hope the pain is soothed soon. Perhaps ask your team for a physio appt to show you some suitable back exercises as things may have to take the surgery into account?
Will do @Diakat. No stomach pains now, just back, pelvis and neck/shoulders. I'm having chest pain last night and this morning. I might be doing too much too soon. I'll walk a little today but nothing more til it subsides. Painkillers subdue chest pains.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do @Diakat. No stomach pains now, just back, pelvis and neck/shoulders. I'm having chest pain last night and this morning. I might be doing too much too soon. I'll walk a little today but nothing more til it subsides. Painkillers subdue chest pains.
@ickihun it may be a side effect of the operation. I had keyhole surgery for my hysterectomy op last year and my neck and shoulders, which are ‘dodgy’ anyway were really painful for a few weeks afterwards. I think it’s something to do with the position that they put you in and the gas they pump into you so it’s easier for them to see when they’re ‘rummaging’ around in there! Hope you’ll soon feel better xx

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun it may be a side effect of the operation. I had keyhole surgery for my hysterectomy op last year and my neck and shoulders, which are ‘dodgy’ anyway were really painful for a few weeks afterwards. I think it’s something to do with the position that they put you in and the gas they pump into you so it’s easier for them to see when they’re ‘rummaging’ around in there! Hope you’ll soon feel better xx
My neck is stiff and when forced to move its creaking. Hips too. I'm getting older so may be older age too.
My memory form mattress has had kids jumping all over it since my op. I used a different bed for hygiene for scars. Boys don't care about hygiene as much as me.
Returned to memory foam mattress to find not as comfortable so it now needs replacing, again.
Boys are costing more than any expensive dresses, that's for sure. However I wouldn't change them for the world. 6yr old is sooo loving now. All I've ever wanted to do is cuddle him. The wait has been worth it.
They break up for 6wks soon. He's whingeing alot yesterday and today so I might hv trouble with lergies.
I'm all about healed so I should be OK.
I'm eating right and taking all supplements recommended. And all meds. Once they're consumed I eat a little food then wait to take water. I'm having about a minimum of 350ml of water, daily. Not much room for anything else.
Ps. When I did ND attempt in 1985 I remember ribcage aching and hips aching from weight being lost. It may hv been argued growing pains but I've often heard people having aches from weight loss.
Not chest pain but ribs aching.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
An update: Now 118.60kgs from 131.00kg on morning of operation.
I was 136.00kgs at time of my endoscopy in preparation for op.
People are starting to notice now.
I'm back into my more expensive clothes. New leggings are making my legs look smaller.
I need some colour on my legs for shorter dresses. I'll try and bath in our sun trapped back garden. Some gypsy tops are down my arms. I know a great seemstress who can alter some of my tops. Smaller jeans are now baggy.
So need new jeans for winter. Or tights under jeans as I'm feeling the cold more. Far less thrust since I dumped Dapagliflozin but still there if bgs raise more than 7.
98% excellent bgs. Still getting peaks for cereal and fruity foods.
Low carb eating would help but may backfire if protein starts giving high bgs again.
I hv novarapid for higher bgs as they don't go on their own.
So
90 Toujeo300 units to now 44units (46less)
40 units x3times Novarapid to 10 units x2times (120 to 20 so 100units less)
I'm less IR as a result.
I love walking but walking faster with crutch than stopping all the time without or in too much pain in back when tramadol is wearing off. Dihydrocodeine lasted longer in my system.
Aim is to reduce tramadol to 1tabet 3 or less times per day. As on 2 tabs 3-4times per day. In pain inbetween doses.

My back is very very painful and ribcage. Arm too, still. Scatica is horrendous in chilly nights/early morning. Toes ok on pregablin. If I miss dose my right foot/toes are in pain. So I make it my business to remember. 6pm Amitripyline too otherwise an uncomfortable night.

So still room for improvement.
Wish trapped nerves would disappear.

Reactions: Diakat

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun well done on your progress so far - I bet you’re pleased:):). Hooefully the trapped nerve etc will soon resolve itself.

Reactions: SimonCrox

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I tried to walk again without crutch and I feel like my legs want to collapse. I can only stride 2-3 times.
I had a taxi to and from my son's tonsillitis GP appointment as I couldn't walk up a graded side of a road. My son who was ill helped me by supporting some of my weight. This is ridiculous. I'm going to use crutch as I prefer my semi-independence.
Mr ickihun as a bad hip and knee so I don't want him falling.
Crutch use until kids go back to school. Then I can try again.
It will be impossible in wind or ice.
I will take it in stages and slowly. I have no choice.

Still delighted with op. No pain or problems. Still losing so couldn't be happier.
Ps. Losing weight everywhere except stomach so back is killing me. Scatica springing up when out or in bed.
I preferred dihydrocodeine for scatica than tramadol. Tramadol comes out of my system quicker, it feels. I can say stupid things on tramadol too, I feel.
I will start to reduce my tramadol now so after 6wks I have room when I try without crutch again.

I watched a Dr. NOW programme yesterday and one of his patients had neuropathy from her obesity. She had to learn to walk again from scratch.
I'm not wheelchair bound (thank god) but I really struggle to walk. Ridiculously so without crutch.
Ive learned to walk with crutch, throughout.

I understand loads more nowadays.
I know I'm not alone in struggling to walk.
I used to take it so much for granted. I love getting around..... by any means necessary.

Still tired after taking betablocker. It takes hours to wear off.
Just about to take it now. Humf!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Using crutchs to walk will help build up your leg muscles as they do still take weight.
Resistance Exercise Bands allows you to build muscles without having to stand up and risk falling over.

Reactions: jjraak