Libre 2 first impressions

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've been using the libre 2 now for over a week. First impressions are what a load of B*******s , it's constantly reading too high ~ ~ 40 mg/dl and i'm spending a fortune on test strips as it is highly unreliable. The new features , i.e. alarm if too low/high, are pointless as it is inaccurate.

My last experience with Abbott customer service was terrible , I had a sensor fall off after 5 mins and they basically said i was 'making it up', so I don't expect much help from them.

Any suggestions or similar experiences to share ?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, Oh dear I'm not surprised that the libre 2 isn't accurate because the first libre wasn't accurate in some cases either. Unfortunately I don't think the libre 2 is released in the UK yet. So I doubt we could suggest anything but usually Abbott are good with replacing sensors.

Usually we say stick on the sensor and give it 12-24hrs before activating it to give it time to settle and if readings are off, it needs to be followed up with a finger prick test to confirm.

D

Deleted Account

@Wurst I have no experience with Libre 2 as it is not available in the UK.

However, I use the "original" Libre.
My first impression of it was similar to yours but over time, I have learnt how to make the most out of it:
- it is less accurate at high and low readings so anything under 4 or over 9, I will check with a finger prick
- at night, there is a risk of compression lows: when pressure is applied to the sensor, such as when you lie on it, it will report low
- it is very inaccurate for the first 24 to 48 hours as our body get used to having an alien object inserted into it. Therefore, I attach my sensor the night before I intend to activate it.
- Libre is about 15 minutes behind finger prick. This can be significant if BG is rising fast (e.g. soon after eating) or falling fast (e.g. when exercising). Therefore, I do not use the Libre readings at these times.
- the Libre is "factory calibrated". My body is not the same as "factory man". Some freeware apps such as Glimp on the Android, use a different algorithm to convert interstitial fluid values (what the Libre reads) into BG values which takes into consideration BG readings.
- Libre is not a replacement for finger pricking - it complements it with trend graphs. The value from the Libre is understanding the impact of different foods, exercise, stress, ... on my BG and making insulin dosing adjustments accordingly.

None of the above is helpful if you want to use the alerts. However, I have tried DexCom and found the alerts on that were pretty useless due to the inaccuracy. So what you are experiencing is probably a limitation of readings via interstitial fluids rather than the Libre itself.

As I said at the start, I initially thought the Libre was a waste of money becuase I spent my time comparing the values with finger pricks and deciding it was too far out but now I understand how to use it, I find it an invaluable piece of tech.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are a couple of differences between the Libre 2 and Libre, so it's a bit risky to draw parallels.
  1. The calibration model is different (per sensor instead of per lot)
  2. Apparently the app/handset algorithm is different (although that may just be to deal with the calibration changes)
I know a couple of people currently using it in Germany who are pretty pleased with the results, and think it's quite an improvement on the Libre, but I'd agree with @helensaramay , in that the values it produces are very delayed, considerably more so than those of the Dexcom G6 it turns out.

For those in the UK who are interested in when it will be available, as far as we know, there have been no announcements made for that date. According to various Abbott literature, when it is made available, it will be a straight swap at the same cost as the Libre, so should just come through the NHS if you are lucky enough to have them on prescription.

Reactions: Wurst

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Usually we say stick on the sensor and give it 12-24hrs before activating it to give it time to settle and if readings are off, it needs to be followed up with a finger prick test to confirm.

I've already had the new libre2 on for over a week so not helpful. I've used the libre(1) for over 2 years before being 'upgraded' to the Libre2. In terms of Libre1 accuracy I found it very good , so good in fact my HBA1C was always within 0.1 % of the libre 1 3 months average (prediction).

Abbott customer service is terrible here. I've complained about sensors in the past and even when there is obvious error codes and malfunctioning they still don't replace. You're lucky if it is better in the UK :)

D

Deleted Account

@Wurst i have seen good and bad Libre 1 sensors. Is it possible you have been unlucky with your first Libre 2 sensor and got a dud one?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Wurst i have seen good and bad Libre 1 sensors. Is it possible you have been unlucky with your first Libre 2 sensor and got a dud one?

Quite possibly. Unfortunately , from past experience , when you have a batch with one dud there is normally a few other dud's to be found. Because I get libre on the health insurance I don't get any test strips anymore or spare sensors. It is typically 1 sensor for every two weeks. When one falls off or you have a dud you have either buy more or use test strips as you run out.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Quite possibly. Unfortunately , from past experience , when you have a batch with one dud there is normally a few other dud's to be found. Because I get libre on the health insurance I don't get any test strips anymore or spare sensors. It is typically 1 sensor for every two weeks. When one falls off or you have a dud you have either buy more or use test strips as you run out.
This should be better now, as the calibration method has changed. Each sensor is calibrated individually, rather than at a lot level, so in theory, it should reduce this issue.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wouldn’t be without it. You have to pay for it?

Only about 5% of total cost , health insurance pays the rest. My seconds libre2 sensor was much better in terms of accuracy. I can now use the alarm function for when I go low/high