What is an ok resting heart beat?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

Two months ago I got a Fitbit and my resting heart beat has gone from 58 to 48. I run 3 x 5k and 1 x Zumba class per week. My blood glucose levels are between 5 and 6 in the morning and on Metformin. Should I be worried? Or is that just my fitness levels going up?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well if your heartbeat is that low because you are extremely fit it can be okay, have a talk with your GP on the subject.

if your heartbeat is that low and you are unfit it could be a sign of some heart damage .. But I guess it is the first of the two suggestions in your case

a third option is that you might have a very slow metabolism and need levothyroxine added

and by the way we are not able to diagnose anything in here , in such a serious subject you always need to have a talk with you GP

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @Northernerinnorfolk , your profile doesn’t show what type of diabetes you have, but you should be having diabetes reviews which include measuring blood pressure and heart rate, so perhaps mention it there.
Your exercise regime suggests your heart rate could be due to being physically fit. Though that would just be speculation. My very fit runner, cyclist swimming partner also has resting heart rate under 50 beats per minute, and this gives GP no cause for alarm, but partner does not have diabetes, or any other health conditions.

D

Deleted Account

I have type 1 diabetes and a resting heart rate under 50.
This is of no concern to me or my doctor.

Although, the last time my diabetes team took my resting heart rate was as soon as I ran (literally .... 3 miles) to the appointment. So the resting part is not so true!
But, when I don't run and they get a reading under 50, there is no concern.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

Two months ago I got a Fitbit and my resting heart beat has gone from 58 to 48. I run 3 x 5k and 1 x Zumba class per week. My blood glucose levels are between 5 and 6 in the morning and on Metformin. Should I be worried? Or is that just my fitness levels going up?
My sleep resting heart beat record is also 48-58, my resting is generally 72-82 in Samsung galaxy. Is it a cause of concern?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My sleep resting heart beat record is also 48-58, my resting is generally 72-82 in Samsung galaxy. Is it a cause of concern?
Totally normal. Some people have a naturally lower resting heart rate or if very trained in endurance sports they will reduce this resting heart rate. Yours is in the totally normal for Norfolk range. 100 would be worrying and very low heart rate might be worrying if you had recently been in an accident and were bleeding internally.