Floaters

GenBomaYE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey,

I am off sitagliptin too only on metformin now!!

But as of late my vision is a mess. I have been seeing abnormal amount of eye floaters (recently diagnosed 3 weeks).
Never had this issue before diagnosis,
Is this happening due to my eyes adapting to normal BG levels from higher levels (BG during diagnosis was 300ish, hba1c of 12.9)

Now my BG lurks around 80 to 130 due to low carbing.

Should i give it some time or get my eyes screened?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Visit an optician.
You should get a free eye test as a diabetic.
Also an explanation of what might be going on.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hey,

I am off sitagliptin too only on metformin now!!

But as of late my vision is a mess. I have been seeing abnormal amount of eye floaters (recently diagnosed 3 weeks).
Never had this issue before diagnosis,
Is this happening due to my eyes adapting to normal BG levels from higher levels (BG during diagnosis was 300ish, hba1c of 12.9)

Now my BG lurks around 80 to 130 due to low carbing.

Should i give it some time or get my eyes screened?
Are you due to have your first eye screening yet? If not I would say to at least get them checked out. Sometimes when you pull your bloods down it can worsen retinopathy temporarily but it clears up by the next test. If I remember rightly @Dark Horse has a link to a study about that. I've had a few but nothing to worry about thus far!

GenBomaYE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doc adviced me to wait a few months and screen my eyes along with the next hba1c (In 2 more months).

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doc adviced me to wait a few months and screen my eyes along with the next hba1c (In 2 more months).

If you're in any way concerned, get your eyes checked. Like others have said, retinopathy can worsen on improved blood glucose control and it usually stabilises However, in some cases, where there is a rapid change, there can be an escalation and treatment might be needed. My husband ended up with severe maculopathy shortly after diagnosis - his levels dropped due to initially being on insulin (only for a couple of months) and then adopting a LC diet. Things are now getting back under control thanks to treatment, but it was very scary indeed.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Noting that the OP was talking about floaters.

I have so many floaters I can't tell the difference between them and distant high flying birds.;)
However they are not an issue with eye checks.
As I understand it they are just bits of protein in the fluid.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are getting flashes as well it could be because of Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Not hugely serious but an optician will tell you and should give you an emergency appointment.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Noting that the OP was talking about floaters.

I have so many floaters I can't tell the difference between them and distant high flying birds.;)
However they are not an issue with eye checks.
As I understand it they are just bits of protein in the fluid.
Yes, floaters can happen to anyone and aren't necessarily a sign that something is wrong. Indeed, I have one in my left eye and I'm not diabetic. However, in the context of a recent diagnosis, significant changes in BG levels and sudden changes in vision (floaters or otherwise), it would be wise to be cautious.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
If you're in any way concerned, get your eyes checked. Like others have said, retinopathy can worsen on improved blood glucose control and it usually stabilises However, in some cases, where there is a rapid change, there can be an escalation and treatment might be needed. My husband ended up with severe maculopathy shortly after diagnosis - his levels dropped due to initially being on insulin (only for a couple of months) and then adopting a LC diet. Things are now getting back under control thanks to treatment, but it was very scary indeed.

Why scare the OP like that!

Floaters are super common. I have them and a flash and all has been checked out thoroughly and all fine!

See an optician but all will probably be fine.

Dark Horse

Floaters are usually harmless but if there is a sudden increase, especially if accompanied by flashes, you should see an optician as soon as possible to rule out anything serious. Some info here:- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/floaters-and-flashes-in-the-eyes/ and here:- https://www.westsuffolkccg.nhs.uk/w...heet-Flashing-lights-and-floaters-FINAL_0.pdf

In England, diabetic eye screening should take place within 3 months of diagnosis. Although severe (proliferative) diabetic retinopathy can cause floaters, this would be unusual so soon after diagnosis.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why scare the OP like that!

Floaters are super common. I have them and a flash and all has been checked out thoroughly and all fine!

See an optician but all will probably be fine.

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I said that floaters are not usually something to worry about, but a sudden increase can sometimes indicate a more serious problem (like @Dark Horse has also said). The OP has asked for advice and I am trying to be helpful here. We're all on the same page - e.g "Don't worry, it's probably nothing but get checked out to rule out anything serious."

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the advice of an optician whose clinic had just closed for the weekend, I had my eyes checked at A&E when I got a floater - because I hadn’t had one before and had no idea what I was seeing or dealing with. Turned out to be fine and the optometrist thought it was probably due to having had a cataract operation earlier in the year. I was advised to be watchful about possible retinal detachment in future, though, which I was told can eventually happen, in some cases. As has been said, it’s usually if you get light flashes with floaters that there’s more immediate concern, but getting lots more might be something to check too? I knew nothing about any of it, at the time, and it put my mind at rest to get the eye checked. They checked for glaucoma too. All was fine.

GenBomaYE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No flashes thankfully, Just annoying amount of floaters i am also due to check my eye power ( been wearing specs from kindergarten both far and near sighted) Can change in eye power cause floaters too? Doc told me my eyes will be unstable for a while so he told me to wait 1 or 2 months to check my power and get my screening done along with it. I was very sensitive to light when my BG was high, now i am not that sensitive anymore to light. I can sense my vision improving but the floaters have been really annoying.

GenBomaYE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
UPDATE:

Screened my eyes today, All good retina wise but my eye power increased by a whole point (will screen it again in 2 months)

Thanks for your inputs. :)

Reactions: Tophat1900