Clicking ankles

mrssmurf2

Hello

I am 34 years old, been type 2 diabetic since July 2010 with eventual reasonable control over BG. Over the past couple of month I have notice a searing pain down my left shin and also at night my ankle clicks constantly. I do not realise I click my ankle and my husband has had to wake me up on a number of occasions to stop me from doing it. My ankle has now got very tender and the pain in my legs very much worse. There is no swelling or colour change just pain.

I was wondering of anyone else had experienced this at all.
The medication I am on is Sitgliptin, glicazide and Metformin.

Many Thanks
Hazel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What does your gp say it is Hazel?

Nigel

mrssmurf2

I not been to GP about it. I know it sounds a bit silly but I don't like going I had a very bad experience with one of the Doctors at the surgery and feel a bit foolish now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mrssmurf2 said:
I not been to GP about it. I know it sounds a bit silly but I don't like going I had a very bad experience with one of the Doctors at the surgery and feel a bit foolish now.

Hazel, as it's causing you some discomfort and concern then I would see a doctor and discuss this with them, try and avoid the gp in question and ask for one of the others.

Nigel

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I read your post out of curiousity, i agree with Nigel.

Ask to see a different GP, i assume your female from your username, if you don't want to ask for a specific doctor, you could request to see a female doctor, secretaries usually don't pry about what it's for then. (i use this trick as i avoid one of the doc's at my GP if they try putting me with an appointment with him)

Of course guy's could try this one, but may get some funny looks? hehe.

Don't let one bad experience put you off. There may be a really nice, patient caring Doc out there that could help you out in no time :)

jopar

It could be something like tendonistis (sp) which can cause clicking, soreness and pain as they become inflammed, so pop along to your docs and get it checked out, just may be a cause of anti-flam required..

evilcat

As per the comments above, I'd recommend that you see a doctor.

I've had clicking joints (ankles, elbows, toes, shoulders and hips :shock: ) since my mid-teens (I'm now 36.) After visits to the doctor and physio I was diagnosed with hypermobile joints which basically means they can 'slip' out of position. I'm used to it now, but even so I do get occasions where I can't pop them back into place and it can take a week or two to resolve.

I'm also on Glic and Metformin, and have noticed that my 'clicking' has got worse since diagnosis but I put it down to weight loss - there's less fat holding my joints in position :lol:

mrssmurf2

Thanks for all your reply's.
There is a nice Doctor at my srgery jst takes a bit of confidence going.
I also suffer from depression and anxiety and I was goin g through a bad time in May. My husband was really worried as I was in a very bad emotional state and took me to said doctor. I was a wreck in front of him and he laughed and said 'well what can I do about it' My husband then left with me and subseqently I ended up in hospital for 5 days.
I will definately go to doctor about clicking ankles as they seem to be hurting me more and more now.
Many Thanks

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
For info;

http://footforum.info/archives/2426.html

"When an ankle is sprained, a peroneal ligament can be torn. Over time it can flop out of position, causing a clicking sound, often when the ankle is flexed, as when going up or down stairs.

"Usually patients can reproduce the sound on request, and sometimes you can see the tendon pop around the ankle joint. If it isn't painful and doesn't bother you, you don't need to do anything about it, but if it becomes painful you should look into it before the tendon becomes irritated or even degenerates. Surgery can put it back in its place.

Like the rest Pop along and see your GP or Podiatrist