Still in Research, but....

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting idea...would be interesting to see what long term effects injecting such nano-gel produced, as they move thru the various animal models...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The mind boggles.

Where does the gel live in the body?
Does it affect circulation? Clog capillaries? Arteries? Cause lumps under the skin?
Does it break down over time dumping all the glucose as it does so? Or does it sit there long term like silicone implants?
Is it harmful when it breaks down?
What is the speed of release?
What happens when the gel is full of glucose? Overflow again? Which is effectively back to square one.

And it is only going to be of benefit for those whose blood glucose fluctuates to low numbers, allowing stored glucose to be released. Just like glycogen stores. Except a lot less sophisticated since glycogen releases glucose under different hormonal triggers, not just low blood glucose.

So I cannot see it being of any use at all to those who have good glycogen stores, insulin resistance and constant hyperglycaemia (which is vast numbers of T2s if they don’t low carb), because they would just store the excess glucose in the gel AND in fat stores, just creating more and more storage.

It could be potentially useful as a possible hypo prevention in T1s and RHers. That would be fab. But I find the thought of injected gel most unpleasant. I’ve read of T1s saying they will never use a pump because having machinery attached like that feels wrong. I feel exactly the same about this. Injected gel? *shudder*

Reactions: kokhongw and EllieM
M

Member496333

The mind boggles.

Where does the gel live in the body?
Does it affect circulation? Clog capillaries? Arteries? Cause lumps under the skin?
Does it break down over time dumping all the glucose as it does so? Or does it sit there long term like silicone implants?
Is it harmful when it breaks down?
What is the speed of release?
What happens when the gel is full of glucose? Overflow again? Which is effectively back to square one.

And it is only going to be of benefit for those whose blood glucose fluctuates to low numbers, allowing stored glucose to be released. Just like glycogen stores. Except a lot less sophisticated since glycogen releases glucose under different hormonal triggers, not just low blood glucose.

So I cannot see it being of any use at all to those who have good glycogen stores, insulin resistance and constant hyperglycaemia (which is vast numbers of T2s if they don’t low carb), because they would just store the excess glucose in the gel AND in fat stores, just creating more and more storage.

It could be potentially useful as a possible hypo prevention in T1s and RHers. That would be fab. But I find the thought of injected gel most unpleasant. I’ve read of T1s saying they will never use a pump because having machinery attached like that feels wrong. I feel exactly the same about this. Injected gel? *shudder*

Pfft. Who cares as long as you can keep putting more and more super profitable carbohydrate into your body and live long enough to buy some more pharmaceuticals to paper over the cracks for a bit? ;)