Type 2 What seems to be better for glucose and A1c, short but high spikes or lower but longer trends?

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I am trying to see whether short but higher spikes are better for long term glucose levels say reaching 8.5% to 9% an hour after eating and back around 6% an hour later. Or is it better keep spikes lower but bg may not drop below 7% for a few hours. This may be related to glycemic index but I have read a few articles that all seem to contradict each other or say 'we don't know yet'. I try and keep my spikes below 8.5% but it seems that the foods that do this will also result in a higher longer term average.
Does anyone have information, suggestions, results to help me with this conundrum that is wrapped in an enigma and I hope you guys can crack this for me.
As a last resort I will have to speak to a diabetes dietitian that generally just give the stock answers.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to see whether short but higher spikes are better for long term glucose levels say reaching 8.5% to 9% an hour after eating and back around 6% an hour later. Or is it better keep spikes lower but bg may not drop below 7% for a few hours. This may be related to glycemic index but I have read a few articles that all seem to contradict each other or say 'we don't know yet'. I try and keep my spikes below 8.5% but it seems that the foods that do this will also result in a higher longer term average.
Does anyone have information, suggestions, results to help me with this conundrum that is wrapped in an enigma and I hope you guys can crack this for me.
As a last resort I will have to speak to a diabetes dietitian that generally just give the stock answers.

From what I keep hearing, you're better off with neither. Eat things that keep your levels from spiking and keep them stable in the healthy range (4 - 6 mmol).
I'll let others add to that.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with @Cocosilk here: no spikes are better. Aiming for a "normal" rise rather than a spike is always better, being no more than 2.0 mmol/l from the moment of first bite till 2 hours after it.

You mention a higher, long term average. Are you aware that for T2's, the glycemic index doesn't really matter all that much? (It's more a thing where T1's know whether to split their insulin doses and such). If you eat something high in carbs, be they fast or slow, your pancreas will still have to deal with them. It's what we call "led for scrap metal", meaning as much as "same diff" here in the Netherlands. You're still going to strain the poor thing. It's just better not to, for both your pancreas as your insulin resistance and sensitivity. Not to mention complicatons in the long run. Just go for low to no-carb foods that won't affect your bloodglucose much at all.