Losing too much weight

Pelikan22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone I've been recently diagnosed with type 2 and diet controlled. I recently started lchf which have shown me very good results with my numbers. I am however worried as I have lost too much weight. I have always been of small stature but my weight have plummeted way too much. I cannot increase my carbs as that would mess up my numbers. Any idea or suggestions what is happening here. I do not enjoy looking malnourished.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Pelikan22 I’m diet controlled and need to lose weight as opposed to put some on so not sure if this is correct advice for somebody on insulin but have you tried increasing your fats?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone I've been recently diagnosed with type 2 and diet controlled. I recently started lchf which have shown me very good results with my numbers. I am however worried as I have lost too much weight. I have always been of small stature but my weight have plummeted way too much. I cannot increase my carbs as that would mess up my numbers. Any idea or suggestions what is happening here. I do not enjoy looking malnourished.

Hi Pelikan. Do you know what your BMI is? Are you still losing weight? If so, how much? If you are still within the healthy range, then you could think about upping your protein a bit. If that doesn't stall it, then add in a few more fats, until you get there.

If your BMI is very low, then it could be an idea to have your doc check you over, to ensure there's nothing else going on.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a general rule, I would say that to avoid further weight loss, keep the carbs where they are and increase the overall calorie content of the meals you are having - same advice as DCUKMod I think, just explained slightly differently. So increase protein and fats gradually until your weight is steady, where you want it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree. Up your good fats and protein, leave carbs where they are. It worked for me.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I third (or fourth) the advice above. I lost too much weight and though I felt absolutely fine I was unhappy with the 'new me' so I gradually added in more protein and upped my healthy fats esp butter. My weight loss stalled and I even gained a bit back. Good luck.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the same boat as you, after going low carb a few months ago I lost 5 kg and I'm trying really hard to keep the weight on. If you don't mind saturated fats double cream is an easy way to get some extra calories into your diet. The stuff I use has 320 calories per 100 ml and I pour generous amounts into my coffee and tea.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi If you are already slim and still losing weight then you may actually be a late onset T1 and not T2. Ask the GP for the two tests if you fit that description. Make sure you have enough fats and proteins. Unexpected weight loss can be due to the body burning fat due to not enough insulin

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts. They stalled my weightloss and I put some on. Cut the nuts, and started losing again. (Pecans, walnuts, that sort of thing.)

Pelikan22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am going to try with gradually increasing my protein and fats. Will keep you all posted on my progress. Daibell I don't believe its late onset type 1 as I had gestational diabetes with both my kids but I will definitely ask my GP to look into it at my next appointment.. The good news is I can eat more butter and sour cream which are truly my favourites.