Your first days on a pump

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spices, Indian food, peanut butter
I’m have the t slim x2 fitted on Tuesday and I just wondered how people found their first few days on the pump. I had my dexcom fitted last Friday and had 3 days of my body trying to show it who was the boss. I had like 4 alarms a day going off with low sugar levels, I’m a bit worried at being at work on Wednesday as they want me to be in exams all day with like a 15 minute break all day. My dexcom alerts to low bloods but I want to avoid the ear splitting alarm in an exam, my bosses just don’t understand my fears or my need to eat at times where insulin stacking isn’t going to happen.
I know we are all different but work has raised my anxiety at the whole process a million times more than before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I’m have the t slim x2 fitted on Tuesday .

Oooh you lucky devil.
Sorry, but I am absolutely desperate to be allowed to have the t slim: X2.
At the moment my CCG don't offer the X2, but I have been nagging them and I am hoping to be the Guinea pig for our area.

The main difference I see between the other pump and the X2 is that the X2 uses the Dexcom G6 sensor which in my opinion, and that of many other users, is far superior to the sensor on the Medtronic pump.

Exams are stressful at the best of times, but throwing a new pump into the mix cannot be easy.

Please can you do a follow up in a few weeks to let us know how you get on with your new X2?

I am trying to put together reviews from people to bolster my case to be allowed it.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oooh you lucky devil.
At the moment my CCG don't offer the X2, but I have been nagging them and I am hoping to be the Guinea pig for our area.

The main difference I see between the other pump and the X2 is that the X2 uses the Dexcom G6 sensor which in my opinion, and that of many other users, is far superior to the sensor on the Medtronic pump.

Exams are stressful at the best of times, but throwing a new pump into the mix cannot be easy.

Please can you do a follow up in a few weeks to let us know how you get on with your new X2?

I am trying to put together reviews from people to bolster my case to be allowed it.

I will indeed, I am very lucky to have the t slim x2 and the dexcom both supplied by the nhs. I’m loving the dexcom and a bit obsessed with checking my results. I think I’m over thinking how my body will react to the pump but my levels drop so quick, I don’t want my glucose to drop and the alarm go off in someone’s exam, it’d be my fault by default for not eating as my managers would never admit to not giving me a break longer than popping to the toilet.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RachaelRodgers, I've been using the T:Slim X2 since March. My first pump. It will be tricky for a few days. For me the first night featured a lot of Dexcom alarms!
I'd say go along to get the pump set up and explain the situation. I suggest sticking with injections until after the exam or maybe the weekend.
Perhaps they will use saline in the pump for the first session so you can get used to it whilst still continuing with injections.
Which Dexcom do you have - G6?
I'm really happy with my pump & will soon be getting Basal-IQ which is designed to reduce low blood sugars.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @RachaelRodgers, I've been using the T:Slim X2 since March. My first pump. It will be tricky for a few days. For me the first night featured a lot of Dexcom alarms!
I'd say go along to get the pump set up and explain the situation. I suggest sticking with injections until after the exam or maybe the weekend.
Perhaps they will use saline in the pump for the first session so you can get used to it whilst still continuing with injections.
Which Dexcom do you have - G6?
I'm really happy with my pump & will soon be getting Basal-IQ which is designed to reduce low blood sugars.
Hi thank you so much for your reply, I’m expecting lows my body does the what this and I’ll show you who is in control reaction. I’m on the dexcom g6 and have found a digestive biscuit before bed at the minute has stopped the night alarms.
I’m really looking forward to getting it fitted, maybe have a few early nights to back my lack of sleep up.

Reactions: DunePlodder
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oooh you lucky devil.

Hi pump all fitted, it hasn’t yet got the software to link the dexcom to the t slim, two weeks hopefully it’ll be linked. Had a lot of hypos but it’s settling in and I hope it will let me have a full nights sleep tonight as I’m a bit of a zombie on day 5 of broken sleep