nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no symptoms of having Diabetes 2 apart from being having no energy

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on this thread. It means a lot to know there are people out there willing to respond and listen. Thanks again.

Unfortunately my gp refuted all the symptoms I reported and seemed to dismiss them. Essentially he said the thing I am suffering from for sure, is moderate to severe anxiety and that I need tablets or talking therapy.

He looked up my fasting glucose blood test of 4.4 - it was longer ago than I thought, in January - and said I can’t possibly be diabetic. What to me is very obvious peripheral neuropathy in my hands (mainly) but occasionally arms and feet, he put down to a physical manifestation of angst. There’s no doubt I’m anxious, but this tingling or numbness, or tingling following numbness, is real.

I have begun to take alpha lipoic acid (? Excuse spelling) twice a day. I started today - 600mcg or mg (I don’t have the box to hand), twice a day. I have tingling in my fingers even typing this.

I will see what happens. It’s not the first time I’ve presented to my gp with scary tingling in my hands, and now it’s no longer the first time he has sent me on my way telling me it’s in my mind.
I hope it is because I don’t want to slowly lose the use and strength of my hands.

Thanks again to people who responded.

Treatment for thyroid issues can impact on blood sugars so getting this tested regularly is important. You should eat as normal before a finger test because cutting out sugar and other carbs a few hours before might lead to a temporary lowered result (my mother always tried to 'be good' as she saw it just before testing so her GP thought her diabetes was better controlled than it really was!).

Did they do the HbA1c test last time? it takes longer to get the result but shows an average over 2-3 months in stead.
Thank you. Do you know how thyroid treatment can affect blood sugar? Do you mean that the _medication_ for thyroid issues can send levels of glucose fluctuating?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have begun to take alpha lipoic acid (? Excuse spelling) twice a day. I started today - 600mcg or mg (I don’t have the box to hand), twice a day. I have tingling in my fingers even typing this.

Make sure you buy the R-ALA tablets, not the ordinary ALA tablets. The R ones are 100% natural and very much more effective. With the ordinary ones there are some other things added and you need twice the dosage.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on this thread. It means a lot to know there are people out there willing to respond and listen. Thanks again.

Unfortunately my gp refuted all the symptoms I reported and seemed to dismiss them. Essentially he said the thing I am suffering from for sure, is moderate to severe anxiety and that I need tablets or talking therapy.

He looked up my fasting glucose blood test of 4.4 - it was longer ago than I thought, in January - and said I can’t possibly be diabetic. What to me is very obvious peripheral neuropathy in my hands (mainly) but occasionally arms and feet, he put down to a physical manifestation of angst. There’s no doubt I’m anxious, but this tingling or numbness, or tingling following numbness, is real.

I will see what happens. It’s not the first time I’ve presented to my gp with scary tingling in my hands, and now it’s no longer the first time he has sent me on my way telling me it’s in my mind.
I hope it is because I don’t want to slowly lose the use and strength of my hands.

Thanks again to people who responded.

I kind of agree with your GP. I don’t think you have neuropathy, as that happens as a result of very high blood sugar over an exceeded periode of time, which is very unlikely when you have such low fasting bs.

Also, feeling tingling in hands, feet or body after eating are not a symptom of diabetes. To be honest, it’s not normal for diabetics to feel tingling when getting high (at least I do not). Symptoms of high blood sugar are excessive thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, tiredness.

I think that stressing over blood sugar values, or fear of getting sick by eating carbs can increase anxiety. And it is no secret that anxiety can cause physical discomfort or «problems», even thought I know it might sound stupid.

I think you should try to come to terms with your result, and don’t stress yourself with the fear of maybe ending up as a diabetic in the future. Your blood work seem fine for noe, and there is nothing of your symptoms that for me scream diabetic, I think you should try to relax and give yourself some time :)

Reactions: Veryanxious

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I kind of agree with your GP. I don’t think you have neuropathy, as that happens as a result of very high blood sugar over an exceeded periode of time, which is very unlikely when you have such low fasting bs.

Also, feeling tingling in hands, feet or body after eating are not a symptom of diabetes. To be honest, it’s not normal for diabetics to feel tingling when getting high (at least I do not). Symptoms of high blood sugar are excessive thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, tiredness.

I think that stressing over blood sugar values, or fear of getting sick by eating carbs can increase anxiety. And it is no secret that anxiety can cause physical discomfort or «problems», even thought I know it might sound stupid.

I think you should try to come to terms with your result, and don’t stress yourself with the fear of maybe ending up as a diabetic in the future. Your blood work seem fine for noe, and there is nothing of your symptoms that for me scream diabetic, I think you should try to relax and give yourself some time :)
Totally agree with you, I have been anxious my whole life and anxiety cause more problems than actual cause. I suggest OP to listen to their doctor and keep calm. If this is just a beginning for OP I hope it doesn't grow on them. I have made severe mistakes from self diagnosing which I don't wish for anyone.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you. Do you know how thyroid treatment can affect blood sugar? Do you mean that the _medication_ for thyroid issues can send levels of glucose fluctuating?

https://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/19/3/148

However, there are other reasons for feeling your arms/hands/feet tingling - yes it can be an anxiety symptom but in my case, years before before I became diabetic I developed neuropathy from a folic acid deficiency. My GP failed to test for this so it was not until I was finally referred to a neurologist for eye issues (also pre diabetes) that it was picked up.
If you are concerned, check what else you were tested for in Jan?