Approved for a pump but...

ruby_jane26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello All

I have been approved for a pump and I have to choose between omnipod and Medtronic 640g (however I’m going to ask about the 670g).
My nurse told me that she only just realised that a letter had been sitting with my file in the office that said I’d been approved since April but only just realised. However the letter said they’d approve me for 1 year. I thought pump funding is for 4 years. Do you know why they would only give me 1 years funding instead of 4 like usual?

Also, pros and cons on omnipod and Medtronic pumps?

I like the omnipod but worry I won’t be able to wear them on my thighs because of my work trousers, or arms because of my work shirts so I’ll run out of sites quickly. Medtronic would be easier in terms of places to wear it.

What are your opinions?

Thanks xx

D

Deleted Account

I have experience of a couple of pumps. They are neither of the ones you have been offered but I think my experience may be relevant.
My first pump was an Animas Vibe. This is not available any more but is similar in shape to a Medtronic 640G which is now the one on offer. As I had no previous pumping experience, I took the only one on offer and was reasonably happy. I loved the control and flexibility it offered me. But, I hated the size and clunkiness. I am not what you would call large (5'4" with a BMI of 21) and found it very hard to hide my pump. Some women put their pump in their bra - let's just say I would be very lop sided if I did that. So, most of the time it was clipped on to my belt like an old school pager. If I wore baggy trousers, I could put it in my pocket but, unlike men, I have hips and women't pockets are not huge so this was rare. If I wore a dress, I would wrap it around my upper thigh but this was not good when I needed to bolus.
Whilst I complained about the size and clunkiness of Pumpy, I would get very protective towards him if you tried to take him away. Probably a bit like having an ugly dog.

Recently, I was offered the chance to trial a Medtrum A6. This is a patch pump, similar to the OmniPod but less well known ,,, and cheaper. Patch (as I call my new pump) and I have been together for a couple of months now. Like Pumpy, he is not perfect but he is hidden away. I still find my slender frame is a problem - with a tube pump, you have a cannula about the size of a 10p to attach to your body and there are plenty of places to put it on your abdomen. With a patch pump, you have to find space to attach the whole pump. I was told it could be attached to my upper arms but, as a climber, this is not appropriate. I was told I could put it on my upper thigh but, like you, I wear trousers a lot and it would show and I run which would effect the absorption. I was told I could put it on the fatty part of my back around the spare tyre but what little spare tyre I have is about trouser waist level. So, Patch usually sits on my abdomen: either below my belly button under my trouser waist or above my belly button above my trouser waist avoiding my ribs. Placement depends on what I plan to do (below the belly button and it gets in the way of my climbing harness) or what I plan to wear (above the belly button and it will show when I am wearing a tighter fitting t-shirt). This requires a bit of planning because Patch is in place for 3 days whereas Pumpy could move around on his tether (tube).

So, from my limited experience, if I had a choice of Medtronic or OmniPod, I would choose OmniPod but know it is not perfect.

Good luck with your choice and your pumping.

Reactions: ruby_jane26

ruby_jane26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply! I think I’ll have to try out a demo pod to see what it really feels like under clothes. I’ve been trying to decide for weeks now and I still don’t know which one. I’ve got to be sensible about it as I have a work uniform and I don’t want it to look strange haha! But thank you

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently got a 640g, I used to have an Animas Vibe like the poster above. The contract runs out next year and I'm hoping for a newer Medtronic or a Tandem T-Slim.

Anyway ,I have found the 640g has several useful features the Vibe didn't have - more basal profiles, preset temp basals, preset boluses and a limited remote bolus facility from the meter supplied with it. Also it sends the meter reading to the pump. I run it with a Libre sensor, a pump uploader and xDrip software and that works pretty well for me until I can get a loopable pump.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently got a 640g, I used to have an Animas Vibe like the poster above. The contract runs out next year and I'm hoping for a newer Medtronic or a Tandem T-Slim.

Anyway ,I have found the 640g has several useful features the Vibe didn't have - more basal profiles, preset temp basals, preset boluses and a limited remote bolus facility from the meter supplied with it. Also it sends the meter reading to the pump. I run it with a Libre sensor, a pump uploader and xDrip software and that works pretty well for me until I can get a loopable pump.
Hi. I'm just about to start on a 640g. I also use Libre and xdrip but what is a pump uploader you mention? Thanks.

Reactions: Dazza 2

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I'm just about to start on a 640g. I also use Libre and xdrip but what is a pump uploader you mention? Thanks.

https://github.com/pazaan/600SeriesAndroidUploader/wiki

As above. Join the 'Nightscout for Medtronic' Facebook group for support.

Also, you can use Tidepool to upload it all so you can see all of your data in one place and run reports etc. Tidepool has an uploader of it's own (works on a PC) and you can export your data into it directly from xDrip.

Reactions: eventhorizon

ruby_jane26

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I’m hoping to loop, so would the 640g not be a good option? I’ve already started looking into the miaomiao and Riley link prices as I’d want to loop as quite soon when I get my pump.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m hoping to loop, so would the 640g not be a good option? I’ve already started looking into the miaomiao and Riley link prices as I’d want to loop as quite soon when I get my pump.

It's not possible to DIY loop with one of the 600-series Medtronic pumps. Check the link below for more information.

https://openaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/Gear Up/pump.html

Furthermore, the Libre is not really considered accurate enough for looping.

You can use Medtronic's Smart Guard system that stops the basal when you're heading low, but it only works with their Enlite or Guardian sensors and funding might be an issue.

D

Deleted Account

It's not possible to DIY loop with one of the 600-series Medtronic pumps. Check the link below for more information.

https://openaps.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/Gear Up/pump.html
This only refers to the OpenAps looping system. There are other such as Loop and AndroidAPS. There may be more options too - definitely worth deepr investigation if it is what you want to do. Other systems may be compatible with newer Medtronic models.

Furthermore, the Libre is not really considered accurate enough for looping.
I am surprised to read that. I am sure some people are or are setting up closed loops with Libre.
Forgive me if I am wrong but I think @Mel dCP is setting up her system at the moment,

The problem, as I understand it, with the Libre is that, stand alone, it is not a CGM as it requires swiping to get the BG value,
However, by pimping it with something like the Miaomioa, this limitation can be overcome.

My experience with Libre and Dexcom CGM is that the Libre is no less accurate.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
This only refers to the OpenAps looping system. There are other such as Loop and AndroidAPS. There may be more options too - definitely worth deepr investigation if it is what you want to do. Other systems may be compatible with newer Medtronic models.
Im afraid this issnt quite accurate. There is no 640g that has been looped to date with any system. Androidaps or loop ect. That ive found.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
I am surprised to read that. I am sure some people are or are setting up closed loops with Libre.
Forgive me if I am wrong but I think @Mel dCP is setting up her system at the moment,

The problem, as I understand it, with the Libre is that, stand alone, it is not a CGM as it requires swiping to get the BG value,
However, by pimping it with something like the Miaomioa, this limitation can be overcome.

Yep your right the libre pimped with a blucon or miao miao can be used.

In the looping arena the dexcom seems tobe prefered.

First thing a person has to work out is which system or phone they want to use. That defines what pump they should aquire.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1

It's not possible to loop with the Medtronic 640g on any DIY loop as it doesn't accept remote basal rate changes. There is a limited remote bolus function from the linked Contour Next 2.4 meter, but no-one has cracked this. In any case, it would require entirely different (and unwritten!) looping software using boluses rather than basal rate changes.

More info on the different types of DIY loops here:
https://www.diabettech.com/looping-a-guide/

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm surprised to read that. I am sure some people are or are setting up closed loops with Libre.

The problem is that the Libre is factory calibrated. My experience of the Libre is that it can be very inaccurate at times and that could be dangerous in a closed-loop system. I wouldn't do it. Having said that, many people clearly are, and Libre2 may change my position.

I refer you again to the excellent Diabettech blog for more of a discussion:
https://www.diabettech.com/artificial-pancreas/diy-looping-and-cgm/

D

Deleted Account

@Notorious from what I understand, people using Miaomiao do not use the LibreLink app they use Spike and/or xdrip+ which allows calibration.
There are loads of threads on the forum about it.

If am concerned this discussion is derailing this thread. The OP asked for pros and cons of OmniPod and Medtronic 640g.
If you are interested in closed loop, I suggest starting a new thread.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Notorious from what I understand, people using Miaomiao do not use the LibreLink app they use Spike and/or xdrip+ which allows calibration.
There are loads of threads on the forum about it.

If am concerned this discussion is derailing this thread. The OP asked for pros and cons of OmniPod and Medtronic 640g.
If you are interested in closed loop, I suggest starting a new thread.

Rolling my eyes a little as I didn't particularly want to talk about looping, I was answering @eventhorizon who asked me a direct question and then you challenged me, continuing the discussion. I too use the Libre with xDrip as mentioned in my first post. Anyway, I won't be following this thread anymore.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No worries, @Notorious , no derailing at all :)
TS herself asked about it too, and as she said she wants to look into looping very soon it's very relevant in her choice of pump.

Good luck with finding the best pump for you, @ruby_jane26 !

Reactions: ruby_jane26

ruby_jane26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No worries, @Notorious , no derailing at all :)
TS herself asked about it too, and as she said she wants to look into looping very soon it's very relevant in her choice of pump.

Good luck with finding the best pump for you, @ruby_jane26 !

Haha not too sure what happened in the thread but it is quite relevant with me choosing a pump! But thank you, once I’ve chosen I’ll say so on this thread .

Reactions: Antje77