Newly Diagnosed Question

Cybil65

Good Morning.
So Friday 14/06 i visited my Doctor after doing some blood checks the day before on a colleagues machine that showed readings of 24 and later 30.4. At my visit my blood level after fasting were at 19 the nurse confirmed i am Diabectic (Tuesday of this week confirmed as Type 2) and prescribed Metaphorin and Gliclazide. Blood were taken and my HBA1C is 132.

This has been a real wake up call for me and although it is early days i am watching what i eat and avoiding the things i know i shouldn't be eating.I am still experimenting and have found certain things actually give me head aches and make me feel woosy for example a few strawberries with banana and 2 tablespoons of Skyr yogurt which i thought would be ok.
Over the last week through medication and diet my bloods are now ranging from 6.3 to 7.8 i test before meals. Is it normall to have such a reduction in such a short space of time? My dosage is 1 750mg Metaphorin twice a day before meals and 1 Gliclazide which i think is 75 mg before meals.

I have also had issues over the last 3 years with sores that have been operated on twice but have not healed correctly and others have appeared. I was due to go into hospital yesterday to be operated on again which has been cancelled due to my HBA1C levels.The thing is over the past week the sores have significantly improved. My diabetes nurse suspects that this issue is possibly part of the diabetes. The frustrating thing is i have been operated on twice in the last 18 months had bloods taken and the diabetes has not been picked up neither has my high HBA1C by the hospital which is the reason my operation has been postponed.I am now hoping that through diet and meds i may be able to resolve this issue with out the need for further surgery.

Regards
Cybil65

Cybil65

Sorry i forgot to mention the reason i had my colleague check my bloods was because i have lost 2 stone in the last 3 months with out trying. I was also constantly tired and would get home from work sit down and just fall asleep.
Sorry for the long post i am just trying to understand what is normal,

Regards
Cybil65

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you mention your weight loss to the doctors? I ask because sudden weight loss without trying can be a sign of Type1 rather than Type 2 - you might want to see if your docs can do the checks to see what type you are as Type1 will require different treatment

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
It is good news that you have reduced your blood glucose levels so effectively. I wish you success on your diabetes journey, you're already well on the way to taking care of yourself, but the weight loss without dieting is something you need to make sure your doctor is aware of.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning.
So Friday 14/06 i visited my Doctor after doing some blood checks the day before on a colleagues machine that showed readings of 24 and later 30.4. At my visit my blood level after fasting were at 19 the nurse confirmed i am Diabectic (Tuesday of this week confirmed as Type 2) and prescribed Metaphorin and Gliclazide. Blood were taken and my HBA1C is 132.

This has been a real wake up call for me and although it is early days i am watching what i eat and avoiding the things i know i shouldn't be eating.I am still experimenting and have found certain things actually give me head aches and make me feel woosy for example a few strawberries with banana and 2 tablespoons of Skyr yogurt which i thought would be ok.
Over the last week through medication and diet my bloods are now ranging from 6.3 to 7.8 i test before meals. Is it normall to have such a reduction in such a short space of time? My dosage is 1 750mg Metaphorin twice a day before meals and 1 Gliclazide which i think is 75 mg before meals.

I have also had issues over the last 3 years with sores that have been operated on twice but have not healed correctly and others have appeared. I was due to go into hospital yesterday to be operated on again which has been cancelled due to my HBA1C levels.The thing is over the past week the sores have significantly improved. My diabetes nurse suspects that this issue is possibly part of the diabetes. The frustrating thing is i have been operated on twice in the last 18 months had bloods taken and the diabetes has not been picked up neither has my high HBA1C by the hospital which is the reason my operation has been postponed.I am now hoping that through diet and meds i may be able to resolve this issue with out the need for further surgery.

Regards
Cybil65
Hey Cybil,

The skyr and strawberries weren't the problem, the banana was. There's about 20 grams of sugar in those. ;) And yes, if you get your bloodsugars down, wounds heal a lot better, so I'm hoping it's all going to be sunshine and rainbows from here on in. Because you've made a whole lot of progress; be proud! Just be careful with your diet and the gliclazide, as you could hypo. You seem to be testing regularly though, so... Good on you. If you continue with your diet and get results as you are now, you could discuss coming off the glic (and possibly the metformin) in a couple more weeks.

And is it normal to see such a reduction? Depends on your diet and medication... But mostly the diet. Yes, it is possible, and it does mean you're on the right track. You're still a tad high, but with banana's in the mix I'm not surprised.

It could be that with the drastic reduction in bloodsugars your eyesight is suffering a little. If it is, no worries, don't run out to buy new specs (unless they're two quid reading glasses), because it'll pass. There was a lot of glucose in your eyes distorting your vision, and your brain corrected for that. Once it doesn't have to anymore it has to un-learn to do that, and that takes a little while.

The weight loss happened to me too. When I went onto the scales after a long period of avoiding them like the plague, I'd lost 20 pounds. I thought it was cancer (runs in the family), so that in combination with the pain in my liver area got me to see the GP, after chaulking a lot of other T2-hints up to my wonky thyroid. While it doesn't happen often with T2's, it does occur. Not often though, so it is worth it to check with your doc whether you've had GAD and C-peptide tests to check for T1. Just to be absolutely sure of your diagnosis.

If you want to have a read around: dietdoctor.com is helpful, as is this forum's website. Dr. Jason Fung's book, the Diabetes Code is nothing less than a lifesaver. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ may be of use too, it's a little quick-start guide. But do be careful with dietary changes in combination with the glic eh. Can't stress that enough.

Good luck, and welcome!
Jo