Need HELP

Iand62

Been diagnosed t2 last week done my blood for the first time this morning it was 5.9, done it about an hour ago and its 9.1 and I don't know how to get it lower I've had nothing to eat but had 2 small coffees no sugar earlier, I also have emphysema and I'm starting to panic is it worth ringing 111

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
9.1 is not immediately dangerous. Drink some water. Walk runs the block if you can. Test again after.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. As @Diakat says, you are in no immediate danger at that level so you can calm yourself as stress often leads to higher levels too.

Have a look at the low carb programme offered by this site or better still, if you are interested in a dietary approach to treating T2 then just ask away here in the forum. If you could tell us about any medications you are on we may be able to better target our advice.

Hope you feel a little easier soon.

Reactions: Iand62

Iand62

Hi guys thank you so much for the replies
Meds are
Paracetamol
Amitriptaline
Sertreline
Quitirepin
Atorvastatin
Carbosistine
Hope that helps

D

Deleted Account

To put 9.1 in context, someone without diabetes could see their BG rise to that level if they eat a carby meal like pizza.
As others have said, their is no need to get stressed.
Bear in mind all sorts of things raise our bg - food, stress, some exercise, illness, weather, time of day, month, year, and...

Iand62

Meds are
Paracetamol
Amitriptaline
Sertreline
Quitirepin
Atorvastatin
Carbosistine
Hope that helps
I used to have 10ltrs of Pepsi regular per week which I stopped straight away also takeaways have been given the boot also so now it's sparkling water and quorn.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Coffee sends some people BG's up for some reason and if you had creamer, did you check the carbs in it?

I think if you were drinking 10 liters of pepsi per week before you probably had been at a 9 level quite often without knowing.

If this is only happening in the morning, there is something called dawn phenomenon and/or feet on the floor syndrome. Because of hormone releases in the morning your liver will dump extra glucose into your system. Your Bg's will rise and you haven't eaten. If you look up Dawn phenomenon it will explain it.

Given that, I like to make sure you know a lot of type 1's are misdiagnosed as a type 2 initially. It is way too common.I was one of those people and was misdiagnosed for over 9 years but luckily put on insulin fairly early because medications made me sick. If it doesn't make sense why your sugars to continue to go up and you are doing everything right, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1.

Reactions: Iand62

Iand62

Many thanks for that Marie apparently my count last year was 44 which I believe is pre-diabetic but I was only told that last week the last blood test was 57

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you addressed your diet since your diagnosis? It is one thing stopping the sugary drinks and junk food, but you also need to look at the carb content of your meals.

I see you are on Atorvastatin. Did you know that statins can raise blood sugar levels?

Reactions: Marie 2 and Iand62

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been diagnosed t2 last week done my blood for the first time this morning it was 5.9, done it about an hour ago and its 9.1 and I don't know how to get it lower I've had nothing to eat but had 2 small coffees no sugar earlier, I also have emphysema and I'm starting to panic is it worth ringing 111

If you drank that much Pepsi you'll've been in double digits regularly. Nine is nothing to worry about right now; you're newly diagnosed, your liver is dumping glucose in the morning, and as it has a lot of it stored, it's not surprising you're seeing a 9. It thinks you should be higher as that was what was normal for you, so the liver honestlty thinks it's helping. It'll get used to the new normal, just takes a while. Fasting bloodsugars are the last to come down, so... Breathe, and take it a day at a time. As for living on sparking water and quorn, I'm not quite sure how literally to take that, but here's some meal ideas, about halfway down the blogpost: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

As for your medication, I did look for statins in there, but @Bluetit1802 beat me to it: statins can raise bloodsugars (and in some, actually cause diabetes), so it might be worth it to check what your bloodresults and ratio's are with your doc, and maybe ditch them if they're not absolutely needed.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meds are
Paracetamol
Amitriptaline
Sertreline
Quitirepin
Atorvastatin
Carbosistine
Hope that helps
People are affected by medications in different ways so you need to ask your GP if any you take are affecting your BG levels we are not medically qualified here to be able to tell you that

Iand62

Hi jokalsbeek firstly thank your response basicly what I meant was I have replaced the Pepsi and fast food with sparkling water and quorn and freshly cooked food, also just got back from the gp which i did before i read the text to make an appointment and i have a telephone consultation on Monday then I can ask him about the stations and make an appointment for the diabetic nurse.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Iand62, would you mind telling us a typical day of your home cooked food...you might be surprised at the amount of carbs in some healthy food (and of course 'healthy' for the general population is not necessarily healthy for diabetics). x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jokalsbeek firstly thank your response basicly what I meant was I have replaced the Pepsi and fast food with sparkling water and quorn and freshly cooked food, also just got back from the gp which i did before i read the text to make an appointment and i have a telephone consultation on Monday then I can ask him about the stations and make an appointment for the diabetic nurse.

You need to know what your cholesterol and lipid levels are (HDL and LDL and triglycerides) so you can decide for yourself whether you need statins or not. You can ask for these levels, but better still, ask for a print out of your last blood test results so you have all these details in black and white. You are entitled to the print outs.

Iand62

At the moment it seems the safer option I'm still trying to come to terms with it but Im determined not to on insulin if I can help it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment it seems the safer option I'm still trying to come to terms with it but Im determined not to on insulin if I can help it

If you are determined not to go on insulin, then you need to address your diet for the better.
Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, pastry, batter, breakfast cereals including porridge and fruit are the worst culprits in raising your levels so these are best either avoided or seriously reduced in frequency and portion size. Your meter can help you with this.

Test immediately before you eat
Test again 2 hours after your first bite
Look at the difference between the before and after reading.
This MUST be less than 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less.
More than that and there were too many carbs in that meal.
Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside.
Look for patterns. It will soon become obvious which foods and in which portion sizes affect your levels.

Once you have done this for a few weeks you can try testing at other times - such as an hour after eating, or half an hour after your 2 hour reading to see if you are coming down a bit, and at other times to see how long it takes you to come down. Doing all this in an organised and structured way, and learning from what you see, will be of great benefit to you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freshly cooked food, I'm all for that! Good start. Also, it's a good thing to start asking for testresult print-outs (or if possible, log onto the practice's site to check them), because you really want the numbers, always: you don't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been, and when it comes to cholesterol, you need to know the breakdown so you know whether the ratio's are alright. In any case... Things that'll spike you are spuds, rice, cereal, undeground veggies, bread (or anything made with flour), and pasta. Things that won't mess with your bloodsugars are meat, fish, poultry (with no batter or fillers with starches), full fat greek yoghurt, eggs, cheese, extra dark chocolate (85% or more), leafy greens/above ground veggies, berries, cream (double, clotted, the fatter the better, as lower in carbs), olives, that sort of thing. Quorn is still relatively carby... Are you a vegetarian by any chance? Because lowering carbs as a vegetarian/vegan is apparently possible, but difficult. There's a vegetarian spot here on the forum though, so it is an option. A road less traveled, yeah, but some seem to manage it, whether for ideological or spiritual reasons.

In any case... You'll be okay. Good luck!
Jo