Do I have It? Where is help?

Diab1?

Hi I have been experiencing diabetes symptoms (thirst, foggy head, dizzy etc) for a few months and went to see my doctor who said I was 'too thin and healthy to have diabetes' so wouldn't test me. I got myself a blood test kit which I used this morning, after 12 hour fast. I intend to repeat the test tomorrow due to alarming result.

The result was guaged via colour strips showing my Mmol/L as between 13and 16 (the max on the chart) indicating likely diabetes?

I rang my doctor but have not received a call back. They said it might not be today. Very worried, what do I do?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10% of T2's never were overweight. And T1 isn't a condition that only hits children. Get a new appointment. Try to get a proper bloodglucose meter as they're more dependable, (colour coding isn't very specific) and hit your GP over the head with those testresults. Alternatively, you could try a walk in clinic or calling 111, but whatever you do, demand a HbA1c test.

Hi I have been experiencing diabetes symptoms (thirst, foggy head, dizzy etc) for a few months and went to see my doctor who said I was 'too thin and healthy to have diabetes' so wouldn't test me. I got myself a blood test kit which I used this morning, after 12 hour fast. I intend to repeat the test tomorrow due to alarming result.

The result was guaged via colour strips showing my Mmol/L as between 13and 16 (the max on the chart) indicating likely diabetes?

I rang my doctor but have not received a call back. They said it might not be today. Very worried, what do I do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to that, as I moved from my malfunctioning phone app to the pc: Whatever the results are, you can get help here if you need it. We can't diagnose, we're not doctors and we can't order the proper tests. But if you do have a problem with bloodsugars, we're here for you. And IF you are a T1, T2, or any other type of diabetic, you're not alone.
Hugs,
Jo

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're in the Uk drop into your chemist, many will be able to do a BG test for you without you shelling out for a meter, then get back to the GP if the results aren't good, and insist on tests

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, ask any local chemist to do a finger prick test preferably around 2 hours after a meal. Your GP is ignorant. If you are thin but have symptoms of diabetes then you could be late onset T1. He is wrongly assuming all adults will be T2 not T1. You do need to know your figures and if necessary have the tests for T1

Diab1?

Thanks all, was feeling quite ill and alone. Your support and suggestions have already helped!

I will repeat test and check out local chemist possibilities (or 111 if get desperate) then back to doctor Monday morning with more ammo if results no better.

Di x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He should be struck off as far as I'm concerned. It could be type 1 for all anybody knows not to mention any number of thin people also get type 2.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, as my doctor claimed, I'm "young, not overweight, and not the usual" candidate for diabetes (38 as young then, I like it!), but we are out there. I've been diagnosed T2 (and doc did the test to check it wasn't T1, because of that young, thin presumption) for coming up to four years now, and likely had it long before that.

Absolutely follow up with chemist and doctor - it's really important you know what's going on, diabetes or no diabetes.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
How dare he/she treat the health of one of his patients with such blatant, not to mention dangerous disregard! I was not desperately overweight when diagnosed and my doctor said I was not 'your typical diabetes patient' but he still did the tests because there were other symptoms which were hard to ignore. Please do get yourself a blood glucose meter and go to your doctor armed with the numbers. I truly hope you get some answers - you are in the right place here for information and support x x

Reactions: KK123 and Prem51