What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.6 this morning

got up a bit late and hurried out to cover the charity shop today so I'm late posting :sorry:

hoping it will stay dry enough this evening to allow me to rake up the strimming I did on Wednesday, it rained yesterday so it will hopefully have dried out again by now, it's pretty breezy here and I was hoping perhaps it would have dried up and blown away :hilarious:

Home now and drinking coffee :)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I haven't seen that film...going to google it now....

Your Bobs is beautiful!

>^..^<
There was a segment on breakfast tv today to do with ‘bring your dog to work Day’ with a young teacher who was profoundly deaf who has a trained dog with him in the classroom who alerts him with nudges if a pupil has asked a question while he is writing on the white board or puts a hand up. Also alerts him to other things like the school bell or the fire alarm. The pupils love him and are allowed to greet him when they come in but know to settle down quickly. How our animals and pets help us in so many ways and are good for mental well being. My SIL works in a nursing home and the highlight of the day is when two golden retrievers visit for 2 hours each afternoon.

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for Duesenberg but, that got me giggling :)

>^..^<

It did me too -- and it was 40-odd years ago! Duesenberg had lived all his life up 'til then in a university fraternity house (all-guys boarding house sort of thing), apparently living on pizza and burgers and getting his only drinking water from toilets. It took 4 guys to hold him down in the back seat of a Volkswagen Beetle when they brought him to me -- but he turned out to be a surprisingly gentle cat, for all that, and fell in love with my tortoiseshell, Magic.

He looked a lot like your Popeye, which was how he got his name.

1933-duesenberg-model-sj-speedster-with-car-culture.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a segment on breakfast tv today to do with ‘bring your dog to work Day’ with a young teacher who was profoundly deaf who has a trained dog with him in the classroom who alerts him with nudges if a pupil has asked a question while he is writing on the white board or puts a hand up. Also alerts him to other things like the school bell or the fire alarm. The pupils love him and are allowed to greet him when they come in but know to settle down quickly. How our animals and pets help us in so many ways and are good for mental well being. My SIL works in a nursing home and the highlight of the day is when two golden retrievers visit for 2 hours each afternoon.

The office staff here have 'bring your dog to work day.' I think it is a wonderful idea. We also have one Seeing-Eye dog who lives here.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also on this thread there has been a bit of discussion on how to stop cats ( legally classified as rodents ) fouling lawns and drives
alf I'm sure you wouldn't want to intentionally want to upset anyone on this thread....I have to tell you I find your comments about cats & pet recipes upsetting...just so you are aware cats are not classified as vermin they are considered to be property...I own a cat and the thought of anyone harming even if said in jest is disturbing to me & possibly others here.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
alf I'm sure you wouldn't want to intentionally want to upset anyone on this thread....I have to tell you I find your comments about cats & pet recipes upsetting...just so you are aware cats are not classified as vermin they are considered to be property...I own a cat and the thought of anyone harming even if said in jest is disturbing to me & possibly others here.

To me too. ^. .^

ETA: I missed the bit about rodents but of course cats are not rodents.

Reactions: Debandez

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That is brilliant about the teacher.
That seems a very good application of a Hearing dog for the Deaf.

My first Hearing Dog for the Deaf alerted me to fire alarm, etc. And my children were little then, and she was trained for "Fetch Mum. That was a great game for my children, not so much for me...
My young son was the worst for that, and my Hearing Dog was forever alerting me and taking me upstairs where my son would be sat grinning on his bed...then one day my son really did hurt himself doing some silly bouncing manoeuvre on his bed and hurt himself. Apparently he was yelling at my Hearing Dog to "Fetch Mum", but my Hearing Dog wouldn't leave my son's side because he had hurt his leg.

Some time later I went upstairs because I wondered where my Hearing Dog was. Went in my son's room and I could see my son yelling at me "Stupid Dog, she wouldn't Fetch Mum." And my Hearing Dog was lying besides my injured son with her head on his chest...that was obviously her priority in that instance!

Golden retrievers are very chilled out. That would be soothing to the residents.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It did me too -- and it was 40-odd years ago! Duesenberg had lived all his life up 'til then in a university fraternity house (all-guys boarding house sort of thing), apparently living on pizza and burgers and getting his only drinking water from toilets. It took 4 guys to hold him down in the back seat of a Volkswagen Beetle when they brought him to me -- but he turned out to be a surprisingly gentle cat, for all that, and fell in love with my tortoiseshell, Magic.

He looked a lot like your Popeye, which was how he got his name.

1933-duesenberg-model-sj-speedster-with-car-culture.jpg

Poor cat!
I imagine he enjoyed life far more with you!

>^..^<

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
@SaskiaKC , @Bubbsie and others. Pets are a wonderful addition to most people's lives, but sometimes people take things to seriously.
Perhaps you should take everything I write with a huge amount of scepticism like most people.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC , @Bubbsie and others. Pets are a wonderful addition to most people's lives, but sometimes people take things to seriously.
Perhaps you should take everything I write with a huge amount of scepticism like most people.

I love your wonderful sense of humour Alf. Dont ever change. That said our lovely forum members animals are dearly loved. Even in jokes to be classed as rodents doesnt bode well ;-)

I was wondering if a specific 'my pet' thread might work well? Bring more on board. From other threads. How nice would that be. Just a general chit chat thread all about what your pets get up to, past and present. Just a thought. Comments welcome.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love your wonderful sense of humour Alf. Dont ever change. That said our lovely forum members animals are dearly loved. Even in jokes to be classed as rodents doesnt bode well ;-)

I was wondering if a specific 'my pet' thread might work well? Bring more on board. From other threads. How nice would that be. Just a general chit chat thread all about what your pets get up to, past and present. Just a thought. Comments welcome.

Since this is a full-on chat thread I enjoy chatting with other cat people and dog people, et al., in the context of this thread so thoughtfully started by @HarrisonK .
^. .^