Bad hypo

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, I’m currently recovering from a really bad hypo. My sugar was 2.0 and I felt/feel terrible. I hate the feeling of my heart racing and having hypos like this petrifies me! Can it make you have a heart attack or something else if you have a bad enough hypo even if you’re conscious?

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear of hypo. Got one myself this morning. Sugars on awakening were 9.5. So I injected 23u of humalog premixed insulin and didnt eat until I had shaved. I then ate breakfast but whilst eating I could feel hypo coming on. Normally I can just about get away with it but not this time. Rapid heart beat. I ate sweet yoghurt. Full tub. Then 2 dextrose. Then weetabix then bread. I lay in bed as I ate these and heart returned to normal after about ten minutes. A bad hypo indeed. I slept for a half hour id say and went about my business. So if you keep eating you wont get a heart attack.I suppose a hypo really is a major panic attack. Best to eat 3 or 4 dextrose tabs first instead of eating all that food.

Reactions: Knikki

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hypos cause the heart to race hence the feeling, they can be scary but unlikely to cause a heart attack, I had a 2.6 earlier this evening after gardening I had to lie down and also had the racing heart and sweats, horrible things but sadly a fact of life x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Not as health professional advice or opinion, in theory IF someone has already compromised heart arteries a sudden jolt of adrenaline might trigger off unusual heart rhythums, or artery spasm etc.
Purely because i have had diabetes for 52 years and am 65 my doctor referred me to a cardiolofgist for prevetative care and assessment.
The most reassuring thing was to have a Coronary Artery Ccalcium Score done. This showed minimal calcium and thus low risks of heart problems.
If you are particularly worried about heart problems please ask your GP for assessment.
And as others have said, trying to prevent and minimise hypos is most important.
Best Wishes!

Reactions: WuTwo

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Not as health professional advice or opinion, in theory IF someone has already compromised heart arteries a sudden jolt of adrenaline might trigger off unusual heart rhythums, or artery spasm etc.
Purely because i have had diabetes for 52 years and am 65 my doctor referred me to a cardiolofgist for prevetative care and assessment.
The most reassuring thing was to have a Coronary Artery Ccalcium Score done. This showed minimal calcium and thus low risks of heart problems.
If you are particularly worried about heart problems please ask your GP for assessment.
And as others have said, trying to prevent and minimise hypos is most important.
Best Wishes!

@kitedoc. Hi. Do you know if a GP can refer you for a coronary artery calcium score? Also did you have to remove your cgm? Cheers. Leeanne

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Leeannea, I think one has to go through a cardiologist.
Not having a cgm I am not aware of what the CT scan (Xray) might do to the transmitter and sensor.
The device could not be over the heart or a band of skin/tissue running around the heart including the armpits.
I would think your nurse may know or you may need to refer the matter to the supplier of your CGM.
Best Wishes

Last edited:

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi @Leeannea, I think one has to go through a cardiologist.
Not having a cgm I am not aware of what the CT scan (Xray) might do to the transmitter and sensor.
The device could not be over the heart or a band of skin/tissue running around the heart including the armpits.
I would think your nurse may know or you may need to refer the matter to the supplier of your CGM.
Best Wishes

Thanks so much for your reply. Cheers. Leeanne