Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, I am just curious, how many of you can wear stainless steel without it tarnishing and making you skin go green? I have problems with wearing some metals, like the S.O.S necklaces and bracelets as they just start going brown and make my skin go a horrible colour.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hey everyone, I am just curious, how many of you can wear stainless steel without it tarnishing and making you skin go green? I have problems with wearing some metals, like the S.O.S necklaces and bracelets as they just start going brown and make my skin go a horrible colour.
One of those times where I am surprised I am not alone in this, did the exact same thing to me. I thought my skin was rotting at first or something, not sure what really causes it.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

You mean it's going rusty?

There are several different grades of stainless steel. Generally speaking, the grades of steel that surgical instruments are made of don't rust, but I imagine that the type of jewellery you are describing is made of the cheaper steel grades and is not rust proof.

Any moisture from sweat will accelerate the corrosion and of course this will vary from person to person.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a stainless steel necklace and don’t have any problems. You can get a gold plated one if you can stretch to the price, that may suit you better?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is stainless steel, and stainless iron, and various other categories - my dad used to work at Sammy Foxes - a steel works in Sheffield - now long gone.
There is surgical quality stainless steel which should be impervious to most things.

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There is a phenomenon where diabetics wearing say, a gold ring, will get a stain on their skin as @Tipetoo
describes.
Now if the powers that be were to use this fact as a trial diagnostic technique, that would be interesting !
Because of this staining issue with gold i choose white gold for my wedding ring.
I have not had any problems with the steel used in my pump cannulas or heard of it being a problem with other users.

Reactions: No1DeadlyPoison

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
One of those times where I am surprised I am not alone in this, did the exact same thing to me. I thought my skin was rotting at first or something, not sure what really causes it.
I've always said to my mum that I have acidic sweat like Alien has acidic blood lol

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
You mean it's going rusty?

There are several different grades of stainless steel. Generally speaking, the grades of steel that surgical instruments are made of don't rust, but I imagine that the type of jewellery you are describing is made of the cheaper steel grades and is not rust proof.

Any moisture from sweat will accelerate the corrosion and of course this will vary from person to person.
No, that's not what I mean, it is like staining, like what @Tipetoo said.

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
I have a stainless steel necklace and don’t have any problems. You can get a gold plated one if you can stretch to the price, that may suit you better?
It's not a S.O.S necklace I am looking for, I have given up on them as they just go 'moldy' lol I've seen a necklace I really like that is stainless steel on a website, so before I buy it I just want to make sure it doesn't go 'moldy' lol

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
There is a phenomenon where diabetics wearing say, a gold ring, will get a stain on their skin as @Tipetoo
describes.
Now if the powers that be were to use this fact as a trial diagnostic technique, that would be interesting !
Because of this staining issue with gold i choose white gold for my wedding ring.
I have not had any problems with the steel used in my pump cannulas or heard of it being a problem with other users.
That would be very interesting to find out why some metals tarnish on some people and not others.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Just a thought, in these days of recycling everything I wonder how pure the metal is and if it contains traces of other things.I don't know if it is an Urban myth but I was told some 60 years ago that a Pork Pie could Legally be called a Pork Pie if Pork Fat was used in making the Pastry and none of the meat contents had to be pork.
Perhaps we should be concerned how pure our Metal and other recycled products really are ?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I've always said to my mum that I have acidic sweat like Alien has acidic blood lol
Hey, that's an advantage in a sticky situation! Just work up a sweat and you're the most dangerous person in the room :joyful: I always thought it was just a fluke but seems like it's an actual thing! So thanks!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a gold plated watch strap that turned my skin green, never had a problem with stainless steel though.
I had a gold plated locket given to me about 45 years ago. Within a couple of months the plate was wearing off and my skin was green. At the time I was told it was due to the acidity of my diabetic skin. I have also been told that due to this acidity, mosquitoes tend to keep away from you. I have definitely found this to be true in my case.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Copper can turn skin green. Perhaps the steel has a copper in the alloy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Rolex gold watch stains my skin, I hope it is not a fake or I will have wasted £20.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can wear stainless steel, white gold, silver and platinum no problem.......put me anywhere near gold and rose gold not only does it tarnish but my skin turns a very unbecoming shade of puce.......:wideyed:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to wear a watch for many years. I had several types of watch and strap including plastic and stainless steel. I never had a problem until I was in my forties, where my skin under the watch seemed to react badly. Removing the watch helped each time. At first I thought it was the fabric that the watch or strap was made of but eventually realised it didn’t matter what it was made of as if I had a watch on, the symptoms would return.

I have never worn a watch since.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Copper can turn skin green. Perhaps the steel has a copper in the alloy.
Interesting thought @Diakat.
Would a .9 ct gold ring have copper in it? If so why would it not react to skin of a non-diabetic wearer?