Fat content

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all...i know fat slows down carbs so i have avoided pizza pasta curry etc shop bought. However, 10 yrs in ive decided to give it all a try cautiously.
I had a big burger minus the bun last night ...13 g of fat present. Bolused 20 mins beforehand and hypo'd 1 1/2hours later!! My bolus/ carb was ok ...is 13 g fat alot ?
Should i have split my insulin ? Advice on the fat please thanks

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 slices brown bread 9 g each...carbs for burger 9g + correction 1 u= 4 u so dont think it was that facinating this.. i'll get to bottom of it ...i'll repeat today in the garden perhaps a nice Charrdonnay or 3

I was taught at Dafne don’t count what is in the burger, just count the bread. By doing that you possibly took 30% more Bolus than you needed which would account for the hypo.
Just try taking for the bread or any other carbs you eat and ignore the burger and see how you go.
Also check the wine as a sweet wine can have a few carbs. Possibly 5g per glass so check first.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was taught at Dafne don’t count what is in the burger, just count the bread. By doing that you possibly took 30% more Bolus than you needed which would account for the hypo.
Just try taking for the bread or any other carbs you eat and ignore the burger and see how you go.
Also check the wine as a sweet wine can have a few carbs. Possibly 5g per glass so check first.
Thankyou ....thats sense ...in this unsensicle world of T1! So 13 g of fat in any meal is not to be worried about ?

D

Deleted Account

I think what you are saying is that you took insulin for the fat in a carby meal.
Some of us find we need to dose for protein (and maybe fat) when we eat little or no carbs as the body breaks down the protein (and maybe fat) when it has no carbs. If there is enough carbs, you do not need to does for anything else but carbs.

The impact fat may have is to slow down the absorption of the carbs. The classic example of this is pizza which, with the fat in the cheese and, if there is any, the meat, you may need to split your insulin dose to avoid a low followed by a high.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Unfortunately as @helensaramay explained a classic case of insulin for once outpacing the delayed rise in your bsl.
It has happened to most if us TIDs at some time so please do not feel embarrased.
Mistakes, oversights are learning opportunities. Thevactial experience is unpleasant, especially when you may have hoped to really enjoy the meal. But yiu will the next time !
One of the essences of bsl control is trying to match the food eaten and thus bsl rise to one's insulin action, not the other way around.

Reactions: annliggins

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think what you are saying is that you took insulin for the fat in a carby meal.
Some of us find we need to dose for protein (and maybe fat) when we eat little or no carbs as the body breaks down the protein (and maybe fat) when it has no carbs. If there is enough carbs, you do not need to does for anything else but carbs.

The impact fat may have is to slow down the absorption of the carbs. The classic example of this is pizza which, with the fat in the cheese and, if there is any, the meat, you may need to split your insulin dose to avoid a low followed by a high.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately as @helensaramay explained a classic case of insulin for once outpacing the delayed rise in your bsl.
It has happened to most if us TIDs at some time so please do not feel embarrased.
Mistakes, oversights are learning opportunities. Thevactial experience is unpleasant, especially when you may have hoped to really enjoy the meal. But yiu will the next time !
One of the essences of bsl control is trying to match the food eaten and thus bsl rise to one's insulin action, not the other way around.
Thankyou ... im adventuring out of my comfort zone after 10 yrs ...enough is enough !! Pizza saturday night ...split bolus ( never been done ) and it was ok only a slight high later on , result!
Last night ....brown rice a nice portion and i didnt split bolus ......never again !! 4 hrs after eating bgl ramped up to 18 fgs!!! But i didnt know till 5 am living and learning after all this time