Hypothetical link between unstable blood sugar and psychiatric disorders: direct or confounded?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow Kyambala, I don't know where you live but that is far from the truth where I live.
My male partner and I have very similar days in terms of amount "household chores", working and watching TV.

Good afternoon "Helen"

I really expected the men o object - not ladies. Perhaps I should have said "as I observe it".

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good afternoon Mel,

I really expected the men o object - not ladies. Perhaps I should have said "as I observe it".
Erm, why? I don’t understand quite what you’re getting at here. That women don’t have jobs? That men don’t do housework? That women don’t relax?

D

Deleted Account

@Kyambala I was not offended as a woman, I was shocked you believe there is enough of a difference in a typical man's or woman's lifestyle to impact their diabetes management.
In my work, family and social circles, gender makes absolutely no difference.

I wondered if your observations are made in a different country or perhaps a different generation but I am sad for both men and women in your world if the difference between them is so pronounced. I love being treated as a homeowner, engineer, sportsperson, redhead, ... without any thought being made to the fact I am a woman.

I apologise to the other readers of this thread for derailing.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm, why? I don’t understand quite what you’re getting at here. That women don’t have jobs? That men don’t do housework? That women don’t relax?

Good morning,

Oh dear - I seem to have dug myself into a hole and don't know how to get out of it - maybe it is my generation, I am 77 years old and over the years have observed that ladies always seem to be "on the go" whilst men work hard, or play hard, and then sit in front of the TV and relax. During the "commercials" the lady of the house will usually get up and make a cup of tea whilst the man will continue to relax.

There is nothing wrong with either sex relaxing - but ladies tend to have energy that keeps them moving, whilst the men have strength for "heavy work" and then they "caring for" as they relax.

Both sexes complement each other - neither is lazy - just different types of energy and strength.

Let us call a truce.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kyambala I was not offended as a woman, I was shocked you believe there is enough of a difference in a typical man's or woman's lifestyle to impact their diabetes management.
In my work, family and social circles, gender makes absolutely no difference.

I wondered if your observations are made in a different country or perhaps a different generation but I am sad for both men and women in your world if the difference between them is so pronounced. I love being treated as a homeowner, engineer, sportsperson, redhead, ... without any thought being made to the fact I am a woman.

I apologise to the other readers of this thread for derailing.

Good morning,

Oh dear - I seem to have dug myself into a hole and don't know how to get out of it - maybe it is my generation, I am 77 years old and over the years have observed that ladies always seem to be "on the go" whilst men work hard, or play hard, and then sit in front of the TV and relax. During the "commercials" the lady of the house will usually get up and make a cup of tea whilst the man will continue to relax.

There is nothing wrong with either sex relaxing - but ladies tend to have energy that keeps them moving, whilst the men have strength for "heavy work" and then they "caring for" as they relax.

Both sexes complement each other - neither is lazy - just different types of energy and strength.

Let us call a truce.

Reactions: Knikki

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well in our house we share the chores although Mrs Knikki watches more TV than I do, I'm too busy running around game worlds.

Both of us have technical jobs but hers is way more demanding than mine and way more important than mine.

Good morning "Knikki"

I am one of those men who cannot cook and if I do any cleaning my wife always does it again after me - but I can wash the dishes, do the gardening, clean outside, light the fire, and look after the car.

I hope your wife is as happy as mine.

Have a nice day.

Ellenor2000

Yep she is :)
I saw your .sig file and you speak of mild retinopathy "mostly because I've had this thing for a while," and also that you eat cake.

I apologise in advance if this question is offensive.

Is it really because you've had DM1 for a while, or is it because you've had higher-than-normal blood sugars for that same while?

Last I heard (though I could be wrong), when you adjust for average blood sugars and blood-sugar variability, injecting insulin is not, by itself, a risk factor for diabetic complications. Someone with an average glucose of 5.0 who is 90% of the time within ± 0.7 of that who does not have to inject insulin is going to have the same level of complications (nearly none) as someone who is 5.0 90% within ±0.7 who does have to inject insulin.

Do you find on days when you have tighter control, you're mentally more stable?

Ellenor2000

Do you nowadays have a CGM so you can draw a graph of your glucose values (from interstitial fluid which has a lag time from blood but is still well correlated in a steady-state situation)?

Have you ever found that for some foods, older insulin analogs that are still sold may be more suitable than the newest analogs?

Would you agree or disagree with my determination that insulin injection is not, when adjusted for blood sugars (usually higher in exogenous insulin users), a determinant of future complications?