T2s in 'remission' - what is your max carbs per day? Any complications?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
noun: remission - a temporary diminution of the severity of disease or pain.

As my diabetes is mostly caused by insulin resistance (c-pep in normal range, IR changeable and always greater than 1), I can't say I'm in remission. I have to keep below 50gms carb a day and even eggs can cause a small blip in BG.

It's difficult in what to call it really. I started at 49, then dropped to 41 in the 6 months post diagnosis, the doc referred to it as "reversal", I disagreed, as once a person has diabetes, that's it, it doesn't go away, it needs to be managed. I landed on 'remission', but actually, I think just good ol "managed" might be a better description. I think I'll use that. On the whole, I'm about the same, ave about 50g of carbs over the day, I try and keep it low as possible, but realistic (for me).

Reactions: Daphne917

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, so I went to the Doc yesterday to check on my eyes, I saw both the D nurse and she got 2nd opinion from my doc, apparently she had to get him to do the actual check with the light-flash thingy (I don't know the technical term). They both said the eyes look fine, no concerns, so go get myself an eye check as the ice pick headaches may be connected to changes over the years. Hmm.... I'll keep an eye (no pun intended, doh!) on it all and just keep on track with low carb/low sugar living, and hope I keep the bad stuff at bay.
If you are in the UK you should have a proper retinopathy screening with a special camera and lights and trained technician, not just a flashlight and nurse and doctor.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
You must be eating massive amounts of veg to get that much of a carb intake. Are you eating below ground veg too?

At the moment I’m almost completely animal flesh carnivore and have been for over two months but for the past 11 years kept more or less to 20g a day with meat, dairy and some green veg and mushrooms. It has varied but I don’t think I’ve ever achieved 50g a day apart from the first years when I did what everybody does and tries to substitute with low carb options such as bread and sweet treats.

Its not all on veg really, it's a mix, and I don't hit the high number (100g) every day, it tends to average out at around 50g a day. Vegetables are mostly salads and raw spinach, no potatoes, I do have x2 slices of low carb high protein bread (9g a slice), and sometimes a protein bar which is 15-18g. Snack wise, I don't eat sweet stuff at all, I eat raw veg - sometimes half a red pepper with an egg, sometimes half a carrot with cheese, they're all my 'swaps' for naughty snacks that I used to eat, crisps, sweets etc. I spread out carb consumption with my workouts, which I do twice a day and it helps keep things moving and BG down. On the odd occasion I have a jacket potato but I usually work out in the evening so it doesn't smash the BG up.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I am drug induced in particular prednisolone but despite that you could consider me to be in remission as my blood sugars are usually at normal levels though my dosage of (and how its effecting me which can be erratic at times) prednisolone does determine somewhat the state of my diabetes.

I tend to keep my carbs to between 40 to 80 grams a day now though at one time it was 30 to 50 grams per day.

When diagnosed I had background retinopathy, neuropathy in fact it was my reporting a loss of sensation in my feet and hands to my neurologist that eventually led to diagnosis of diabetes and I had reduced kidney function

Background retinopathy is now gone thanks to reduced Blood sugar levels.

That's fantastic news! well done, really impressed with that turn around on the retinopathy! :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I nudged into the T2 bracket in 2014 with a 49 HbA1c. This was never repeated as I changed my diet (Eatwell) immediately at the time. So I was not officially decreed T2. But it was obvious I was and had been, especially with the typical associated symptoms being present. So I have reversed that condition and cleared Prediabetes earlier in the year going lower carb, higher fat, on about 100 to 130 carbs a day.

Last edited:

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
If you are in the UK you should have a proper retinopathy screening with a special camera and lights and trained technician, not just a flashlight and nurse and doctor.

Yep, I had the retinopathy screen at first 6 month review, was all clear. The doc yesterday said he wasn't concerned, but go for eye test, then see how things are. I think I'll keep monitoring the situ, if it doesn't shift I may ask for another screening but my eyesight isn't patchy, he didn't think any worry there.

Cinderella56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

I try to keep my carbs to under 30g per meal that has worked so far in that my last two HBA1C s have been 45 been diabetic type two for two years .. don't have any weight to lose think its genetic as both sides of the family have had type two I only weigh 8 stone 9 now and my doc said don't lose more weight when I was 8 stone 11. I do lots of exercise and eat lots of fish salad and healthy meals home cooked like cottage pie going easy on the spuds or meatballs and wholemeal pasta going very easy on pasta and stay away from fruit apart from berries which are fine. I test at least once a day.. don't do puddings.. do enjoy wine with a meal I find it reduces my blood sugar by at least one point? Had a kidney infection out of the blue last week so am having an extra hba1c that I was not expecting so am hoping it will be on track but as I hardly ever get blood sugar readings that are over 10 I am hoping it will be ok. I like being around 6 or 7 usually after meals.. I have had fastings in the fives but sadly sometimes get fastings of 7.7 which reminds me that I am not NORMAL ha ha .