Eat breakfast to halt Dawn Effect?

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone eat a small morning meal of fat/protein just to break their rising Dawn Effect numbers? Mine keep climbing while I'm fasting until 3 p.m. or later, leaving me with high blood glucose numbers much of the day. Perhaps I have to switch my 18/6 time-restricted eating to be from breakfast to lunch.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
If you're not eating the sugar can only be coming from your own body, in other words it's you liver releasing stored sugar into the blood where you can see it and more importantly burn it off.

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're not eating the sugar can only be coming from your own body, in other words it's you liver releasing stored sugar into the blood where you can see it and more importantly burn it off.
Yes, I agree in principle but blood glucose reaching 12 mmol or more is not good and I know some advisors even go to some insulin if necessary to cut that number, something I definitely don't want to do.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do, I eat a breakfast of Keto coconut porridge with a couple of chopped strawberries with double cream, totalling around 7g carbs. If I don’t eat breakfast which I only ever do on days when I’m having fasting bloods done my blood sugar rises til I have a coffee with cream.

Edit for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAndyC and Sal87

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I experimented when I had this issue.
Any carbs at breakfast (Greek yogurt and berries) made matters worse.
Nothing but a cup of tea with a dash of milk didn't work and I was hungry before lunch.
A decaff coffee with double cream (generous helping of cream) and no food worked wonderfully..

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I experimented when I had this issue.
Any carbs at breakfast (Greek yogurt and berries) made matters worse.
Nothing but a cup of tea with a dash of milk didn't work and I was hungry before lunch.
A decaff coffee with double cream (generous helping of cream) and no food worked wonderfully..
Coffee and cream for breakfast for me. Works like a charm.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat about 10 gm of carbs along with fat and protein for my first meal, to stop my blood glucose rising.
My next meal is in the evening.

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do, I eat a breakfast of Keto coconut porridge with a couple of chopped strawberries with double cream, totalling around 7g carbs. If I don’t eat breakfast which I only ever do on days when I’m having fasting bloods done my blood sugar rises til I have a coffee with cream.

Edit for typo
Rachox, tell us something about keto coconut porridge -- what's in it?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone eat a small morning meal of fat/protein just to break their rising Dawn Effect numbers? Mine keep climbing while I'm fasting until 3 p.m. or later, leaving me with high blood glucose numbers much of the day. Perhaps I have to switch my 18/6 time-restricted eating to be from breakfast to lunch.
When my numbers rise and I want to bring them down, but I don't want to have breakfast, I have a little bit of extra dark chocolate.... Not the most wise thing to do, I suppose, but it is tasty. ;)

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I have 2 eggs 2 bacon some cheese . And a cup of coffee with double cream every morning .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit of scrambled egg is common for me, takes literally 2 mins in the microwave. If I’m feeling decadent a squirt of mustard, a splash of double cream and a bit of grated cheese liven it up to something much tastier and very few carbs

Reactions: Sal87

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
coffee with double cream as I find it difficult to eat breakfast, Then a couple of hours later I have greek style yoghurt with mixed seeds and strawberries.

Sal87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Folks, that's all fine with the eggs or cream but if you eat breakfast, when do you fast, if you do?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I eat a breakfast between breakfast and dinner so roughly 2 12hr fasts.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Folks, that's all fine with the eggs or cream but if you eat breakfast, when do you fast, if you do?

I skip dinner now. Works best for me. I do t at the weekends but during the week I have breakfast (eggs) and then a late lunch when I’m hungry (eggs are so filling!) and then I just don’t feel the need to eat again.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
So eat at 6 go to work . Coffee and cream at 11 and 2 Diner at 6 supper at 10 . Coffee again . Bed sleep 8 hrs . Not exactly fasting but close enough