Sunday roasts

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From your previous post, I’m assuming you are type2? So no potatoes, gravy might have flour if it’s shop bought. If it’s home made, you might have to ask. Root veggies might be off the menu, so opt for broccoli or spouts. Extra meat if you like. Stuffing might be off as well, depends on what kind.

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

From your previous post, I’m assuming you are type2? So no potatoes, gravy might have flour if it’s shop bought. If it’s home made, you might have to ask. Root veggies might be off the menu, so opt for broccoli or spouts. Extra meat if you like. Stuffing might be off as well, depends on what kind.

So not a lot then!!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So not a lot then!!

You can have as much meat and veg as you want. But there are hidden carbs in gravy etc. If it’s homemade, it’ll be different because you know what you put in.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roasted cauliflower is a nice option or as mash to replace roasted potatoes and mash.

Reactions: Paulm80

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When I was still looking for alternatives (I don't do this any more) to 'normal' foods I substituted a small portion of celeriac for potatoes. Celeriac can be made into mash, chips or roasties but it does take a few goes to get the right result and it is an underground veggie hence the portion control. I was never a great lover of gravy so I had/have butter on my veggies instead though there are recipes for lower carb gravy.
I have seen recipes for Yorkies but I do not like them so, sorry, I can't comment on them.
Cabbage is in, carrots are out as are sweetcorn and parsnips but as with everything we are individual so one must test it and see.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always do a roast on Sunday! Does anyone else? So what’s in and what’s out?
Hello, can you change your profile so we know what type of diabetes you have, and what meds you are on please? the answers you get depend on those two things. If we dont know, its hard to respond appropriately.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roast pork tonight roast spud for husband roast celeriac and swede broccoli and cauliflower sauce made by frying onions in butter with sage leaves then blitz with a little stock (water with some stock cube will do)
Carol

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Paulm80

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not yet still very recent diagnosed, ha ent even had my 2nd rounds of bloods yet
I dont know if you are in the UK, but I have bought my own blood sugar meter and test strips as my GP wont prescribe them. You may be told you dont need to test, but, as the link shows, testing to see how you personally respond to types and quantities of foods is vital to help you tailor your diet to your own safety levels.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have meat, veggies and one tiny roast potato. I use Aunt Bessies frozen ones as there is a theory that cooking, freezing and recooking affect blood sugars less. I make gravy with a tiny amount of gravy granules with meat juices and milled flax seed. As with all things you need to test and see what you can tolerate.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Paulm80

I dont know if you are in the UK, but I have bought my own blood sugar meter and test strips as my GP wont prescribe them. You may be told you dont need to test, but, as the link shows, testing to see how you personally respond to types and quantities of foods is vital to help you tailor your diet to your own safety levels.

Yeah I’m in Wales, got appt with dr a week Tuesday , will discuss everything then , just trying to be careful until then

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See bistro gravy has 2gs of carbs per 50ml - that ain’t bad is it?

It depends on you, anyone can go overboard with gravy. As long you keep testing. I prefer to make my own gravy with the meat juices & add chicken stock (less than 0.5 carbs).
But there are keto recipes for gravy - with eggs or almond flour to thicken it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Meat and green veggies mostly. Home made gravy, some cheese, cheddar and brie... but a large serve of meat, crackling if pork, skin if chicken. A lot of meat and maybe some more meat. I'm sure I mentioned meat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you buy yourself a meter you will be able to test how your body reacts to gravy, potatoes, carrots, peas, Yorkshire puddings, and other traditional Sunday roast foods. A meter will be your best friend and an essential tool in learning how best to control this condition.

Please can you complete your profile details to include type of diabetes, treatment and meds.