Daily carbs recommended by dietitian at Low carb workshop

Merrylizard1314

Just recently attended a Low Carb workshop run by Diabetes Australia. I went because I was hoping that at last the tide had turned and the official body was about to embrace and disseminate changes to the diet that would actually be helpful- but no. The daily carbs should be 245 g , and compose 45per cent of the total food amount- or it may have been 47 per cent. And all the tiresome exchanges - everyone in attendance was prediabetic or T2D and would not profit health -wise from shuffling between amounts of potato crisps and chocolate biscuits.
I think an opportunity was missed here. Diabetes Australia could have demonstrated an alternative way of managing a diabetes diet. It may not be for everyone, but to be shown an alternative to the Eatwell plate might have been inspiring for everyone there.

So disappointing.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Low carb is usually defined as below 120 g carbs per day although some chosse 100 g carbs per day as the figure.
It sounds to me like the low Carb work shop advert was a con.
You are of course free to conplain about the time you may have felt was wasted for you ( and cost of transport etc).
I would but that is just me.
I suspect dietitians ate still wary of their regulation body, Dietitans Association of Australia who have deregistered dietitians in the past for prescribing low carb diets for patients with diabetes.If you look up Jennfer Elliott vs DAA you will see one such example. The only thing is that DAA removed the sponsorship list which this article mentions so that the association with the food industry is no longer apparent. DAA have even gone so far as to give bland approval to low carb diets but not for pregnant women and children. But who can trust them?
Although ketogenic diets ( which are low carb in effect) are supposed to be prescribed for childñren with epilepsy.
But DAA i allege have suppressed low carb diet in undergraduate cirruculums and have control of post grad education as well.
That a health profession regulation body can behave this way without censure is amazing and a stain on the ability of Government to keep the population's health in order.
Of course i imagine dietitians employed by Diabetes Australia are registered with DAA. But if the course has be wrongly advertised shame on the dietitian and Diabetes Australia.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
This is why my endo sent me to a specific dietitian.... she was really good and knows the difference between high and low carb solutions...

DA should be ashamed of themselves putting up a sham like this.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
245g per day? Are they insane?

That is negligence, ignorance and criminal imo. Way to go diabetes Australia, that's how you make people become insulin resistant or worsen it and pile on the complications with that horrendous advice. People have got no hope being misled by that lot.

D

Deleted member 308541

@Merrylizard1314 Diabetes Queensland have a Live Your Life forum here in Bundaberg next month, the food choices are not the best either for the $15.00 entry fee.

aWSsPTh.jpg

Reactions: kitedoc

Merrylizard1314

Thank you, @kitedoc, I did expect, from the flyer, that at least some aspects of Low carb eating would be mentioned, but the presenter was not into any alternatives to the script. The only oily substance mentioned was margarine.
Just read about Jennifer Elliott and I am in despair about how champions of revolution are ruthlessly excised and their reputations sullied by the factions who perceive their wealth-growing powers in jeopardy.
This afternoon received another invitation from NDSS( National Diabetes Services Scheme) to 2 free diabetes education sessions, one on glucometer use, setting BGL targets and setting goals to improve diabetes management., the other is called Carb Smart wth topic headings including choosing good quality carbohydrates, how much carbohydrates you need in a day, and how carbohydrates impact your bgls
Scheduled for the end of July. It is for people living with T2D and gestational diabetes only.. I often worry that information not destined to improve their condition may be given at the outset to those newly diagnosed. I will go and possibly ask some questions if necessary.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Merrylizard1314 from Adelaide,
I fear that most Aussie dietitans are currently trapped in a broken record setting.
Perhaps a question like how do Eskimos manage on zero carbs per day might jolt them out of mundanity!
And pointing out that the NHS is fast tracking a low carb program for Type 2 diabetics, that is how good the program is and how effective in saving health dollars.
It would perhaps be unfair to mention the DAA directly as their behaviour is not the fault of their registered dietitians. But if you need to mention any champions of low carb in Australia then LowCarbDownUnder is the go-to organisation with doctors and private ( non-DAA affiliated) dietitians in each Aussie State.(including Jennifer Elliott in NSW).

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you, @kitedoc, I did expect, from the flyer, that at least some aspects of Low carb eating would be mentioned, but the presenter was not into any alternatives to the script. The only oily substance mentioned was margarine.
Just read about Jennifer Elliott and I am in despair about how champions of revolution are ruthlessly excised and their reputations sullied by the factions who perceive their wealth-growing powers in jeopardy.
This afternoon received another invitation from NDSS( National Diabetes Services Scheme) to 2 free diabetes education sessions, one on glucometer use, setting BGL targets and setting goals to improve diabetes management., the other is called Carb Smart wth topic headings including choosing good quality carbohydrates, how much carbohydrates you need in a day, and how carbohydrates impact your bgls
Scheduled for the end of July. It is for people living with T2D and gestational diabetes only.. I often worry that information not destined to improve their condition may be given at the outset to those newly diagnosed. I will go and possibly ask some questions if necessary.

Could not resist this re Carb Smart,

upload_2019-6-20_7-10-59.jpeg

Merrylizard1314

Hi, @Pasha. Most amusing as ever. These particular Carb Smarties could probably be exchanged for an omelette, mushrooms, olives, some very nice cheese,and five pecans without breaking the 15g CHO barrier or provoking a long lasting insulin spike.

Good point about the eskimos@kitedoc. I am just finding more references to trials where people have eliminated all carbs for extended periods without harm.
I do try to be polite when I do not agree with what is handed out as if it was the One Truth that will save T2D, and any questioning is seen as somehow " not the point" or "most people want to eat these things, we are showing how to do it safely", And this is done by swapping a bag of crisps for several slices of bread-wholegrain of course. And I wonder if they have ever really looked at a nutritional label on a loaf

Reactions: Pasha

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The daily carbs should be 245 g ,

So not low carb then, that's normal carb although compared to the U.K.'s eatwell plate recommendation of 1/3 of calories coming from carbs, 45 ish % is high, higher than the UK's guidelines anyway. Maybe the powers that be think that anyone who has heard about lowering carbs will go along and believe that 245gms is low carb. "Low Carb workshop"? Do you have a Trade Descriptions Act?

Syd

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the following on the Diabetes Australia website under the heading "Position statement on low carb eating for people with diabetes." It is quite clear that DA knows what is and what is not low carb and in that regard 245g could not be classed as "low carb". I suspect that the OP has got the wrong end of the stick.

Screenshot 2019-06-25 at 10.34.16.png