Can I be forced to go back on metformin?

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been off metformin since last October when I had my second heart attack. Strangely, the 2 hba1c tests I've had since then were better than when I was taking metformin. I put this down to the heart attack encouraging me to eat better.

I'm due another hba1c test this week and I'm afraid my previous good eating gave way to to a relapse into binge eating since the previous one. I managed to get control again during the last month, but the 2 months prior to that were pretty bad and I was eating bag loads of junk food every day.

So I'm expecting my next hba1c test to be high and think my gp will want to put me back on metformin again. I'm worried if I refuse, the gp might kick me off his practice. I live in a remote rural area and there isn't another gp within a reasonable distance.

So my question is can a gp refuse to treat you if you decline to take a medicine he wants you to take.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have a conversation with them about it, but if you fear losing your GP over it, accept the prescription - and don’t collect the pills. They don’t come round and shove the things down your neck, after all.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry to hear about your health difficulties. Why are you against taking Metformin?

Reactions: Inchindown

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your GP (and any other HCP for that matter) CANNOT insist you do anything. It’s your body and what happens to your body is YOUR decision. Do you think he is going to actually stand over you to check you’re taking them?
S/he cannot remove you from the practice if you decide not to take a course of care they think is better for you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I had the same concerns when my GP tried to bully me into taking a statin. I completely refused and gave my reasons. He had to accept that. I am still on his list. Health care professionals are there to advise, they cannot coerce a patient into doing anything against a patient's wishes.

Your body your decision.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have a conversation with them about it, but if you fear losing your GP over it, accept the prescription - and don’t collect the pills. They don’t come round and shove the things down your neck, after all.
Never thought about it like that. Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m with @Guzzler and @wiflib , it’s better to have a conversation with your Dr explaining what has happened these last few months and politely decline the meds, he/she can’t sack you! Your HbA1c is weighted towards the last few weeks so may not be as bad as you fear anyway.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's easy to say 'just say no' but for some people that is hard to do and they feel intimidated. It might seem good advice to just take the prescription and not take the tablets but I think that that leads to more stress, ie, you get the prescription from the chemist (because the Doc will know if you don't), you then have to remember when that prescription would have run out had you been taking the tablets) and then get another prescription (or as already mentioned you don't get the prescription and then you are back to square one at your next appointment). You then go back for your blood tests which may still show a high h1ac and your Doctor will wonder why and maybe up your metformin or start talking about insulin because the metformin you haven't been taking isn't working. It all sounds very complicated and deceitful to me and would add to the stress. I would not lie to the Doctor about what medication I'm (not) taking, it can skew his/her following actions. I would have a conversation with him, listen to him and all the rest and then say 'Well I want three months without it and then we can re assess', that is perfectly reasonable. As others have said, it is your choice and I think the only reason Drs would chuck someone out the practice is if they were abusive or putting themselves in immediate danger by refusing medicine or being massively reckless.