Another LADA joining the gang.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering if what I have is type 1.5. It seems possible and treatment for type 2 over the last 15 or so years hasn't proved successful - even low carbing. I realise I should get a c-peptide test done and I will ask when I can get an appointment to see a doctor (very difficult) but the health professionals here don't like patients taking responsibility for themselves and are very anti everything except eat more carbs and take insulin.

Is the treatment for T1.5 any different to that for T2? ie ever increasing amounts of insulin and look forward to a reduced lifespan.

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
I don't think treatment would be much different really,, I think we are a little bit special being that . 5

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
I just eat natural healthy food, little bit of exercise, don't get stressed out about things, sleep well, rest whenever possible...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is the treatment for T1.5 any different to that for T2?
LADA is T1, which means insulin because your insulin producing cells are destroyed, although it may take some time before needing insulin.

Reactions: Marie 2

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"LADA stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood. LADA is a form of type 1 diabetes that develops later into adulthood.

LADA tends to develop more slowly than type 1 diabetes in childhood and, because LADA can sometimes appear similar to type 2 diabetes, doctors may mistakenly diagnose LADA as type 2 diabetes."

And, it shares some characteristics with T2. I'm thinking that's what happened to me, however, getting the results of my blood work back will hopefully clear things up. One can only hope. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Annb

LADA is very commonly misdiagnosed as type 2, it's unfortunately way too common. I was misdiagnosed for over 9 years but luckily put on insulin fairly early because medications made me sick.

And that's the thing, 15 years would be a long time except you are on insulin and that is what would have been keeping you stable if you are a type 1. And yea we need more insulin because we keep making insulin for a while until we don't. And that could also be what is happening now is you aren't making insulin anymore.

But that is speculation until you get a c-peptide test done that will tell if you are making insulin or how much you are. The antibody test would still be helpful because if it's positive combined with a low c-peptide is a definite diagnosis. But the longer time goes on the antibodies go down because your system doesn't need to attack your non existing beta cells anymore.

With all the tools nowadays, type 1's don't necessarily have a shorter life span if they take insulin as they should. Your food options aren't limited as a type 1 like a type 2 might choose to be because you just take the insulin you need to utilize the carbs you eat. But that becomes a choice of the carbs that you decide to eat, you just dose appropriately for them.

1.5 isn't that commonly used, there are so many weird definitions out there for it. It sounds like it's a half way type and LADA is type 1, just slower developing.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb

LADA is very commonly misdiagnosed as type 2, it's unfortunately way too common. I was misdiagnosed for over 9 years but luckily put on insulin fairly early because medications made me sick.

And that's the thing, 15 years would be a long time except you are on insulin and that is what would have been keeping you stable if you are a type 1. And yea we need more insulin because we keep making insulin for a while until we don't. And that could also be what is happening now is you aren't making insulin anymore.

But that is speculation until you get a c-peptide test done that will tell if you are making insulin or how much you are. The antibody test would still be helpful because if it's positive combined with a low c-peptide is a definite diagnosis. But the longer time goes on the antibodies go down because your system doesn't need to attack your non existing beta cells anymore.

With all the tools nowadays, type 1's don't necessarily have a shorter life span if they take insulin as they should. Your food options aren't limited as a type 1 like a type 2 might choose to be because you just take the insulin you need to utilize the carbs you eat. But that becomes a choice of the carbs that you decide to eat, you just dose appropriately for them.

1.5 isn't that commonly used, there are so many weird definitions out there for it. It sounds like it's a half way type and LADA is type 1, just slower developing.

That's interesting and very informative. Many thanks for that. So, the next step is to try to persuade my doctor, when I get to see him, to do the appropriate tests. I am wondering about it because, even the fairly high doses of insulin I have been on recently, don't seem to be keeping my BS under good control, at least most of the time. Occasionally it does drop to a realistic level, but it soon rises again.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
even the fairly high doses of insulin I have been on recently, don't seem to be keeping my BS under good control
The amount of insulin we need is highly personal. Could be it's just not enough for you.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my case, I was getting too much insulin, so the doses have been adjusted again this week. As my DE said, it's a process, and I've only been using insulin since May 10. I do believe if I hadn't gone to the ER when I did, it might have been game over because I didn't have a clue what was happening. My own physician didn't think of anything else when I was in his office three days before I went to ER. That's scary.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's interesting and very informative. Many thanks for that. So, the next step is to try to persuade my doctor, when I get to see him, to do the appropriate tests. I am wondering about it because, even the fairly high doses of insulin I have been on recently, don't seem to be keeping my BS under good control, at least most of the time. Occasionally it does drop to a realistic level, but it soon rises again.
Hi. Are you on the Basal/Bolus regime and carb-count at meal-times? With the two insulins and carb-counting you will be able to control blood sugar unless you are over-weight and hence have insulin resistance. You also need to put some control on the carbs you eat; insulin doesn't allow you complete freedom for carbs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With the two insulins and carb-counting you will be able to control blood sugar unless you are over-weight and hence have insulin resistance.
Or you'll be able to control it (as much as possible with diabetes) overweight and all, like I do :) Being overweight and LADA doesn't mean you cannot keep your diabetes in check on a basal/bolus regime.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or you'll be able to control it (as much as possible with diabetes) overweight and all, like I do :) Being overweight and LADA doesn't mean you cannot keep your diabetes in check on a basal/bolus regime.
I largely agree but there are many posts from those who are struggling and in some it's apparent that there may be insulin resistance hence the added insulin may be joining a lot of insulin already present? In that case very large amounts of added insulin may be needed to have any effect and may not be successful. Obviously everyone is different but the problem is where insulin resistance is present?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am well overweight, on a basal-bolus regime, and have been low carbing for over a year without any obvious effect on weight or BS control. I have been told that I am "probably insulin resistant" but not what I might be able to do about it. I have also been told that I "probably had gestational diabetes" which never went away. In that case, I have had diabetes for 52 years most of those years undiagnosed. I have, in fact, had symptoms which could have been diabetic for many of those years but which nobody diagnosed despite frequent visits to various doctors. I had to go to a locum doctor about 16 years ago and ask "am I diabetic?" before it was confirmed as T2.

Despite eating very little, I seem unable to lose weight - possibly due to fluid retention. I tried reducing fluids for a while, but that just put me in hospital.

I hope I might be able to get an appointment to see my doctor on Wednesday and I will ask about a c-peptide test. He'll be doing other blood tests then anyway. I will also ask about the level of insulin I am taking.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thursday now and I saw a different doctor and asked about c-peptide test. "What's that?" he wanted to know and I tried to explain. He'd never heard of it but he looked it up and agreed that he could request it. He was uncertain about the lab agreeing to do the test, though. I've made an appointment for next Tuesday for the blood test and meantime he'll try to find out if the lab will play ball. Problem is the lab is in Glasgow and we are in the Western Isles. The blood has to be frozen immediately, apparently, and then sent on.

At least that doctor knows a little more this morning than he did yesterday.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scary, isn't it when the medical profession doesn't keep up with the times. About the same where I live in Canada.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Scary, isn't it when the medical profession doesn't keep up with the times. About the same where I live in Canada.

It is a bit scary but that isn't the worst of it here in Britain at the moment. My brother lives in the south west of England. He had a heart valve fitted 41 years ago as a young man and it has worked well all these years but he does, of course, have to take warfarin to keep his blood thin enough not to upset the workings of the valve. In his area not only has it become difficult to get a doctor at all, never mind anyone au fait with his requirements but new administrative systems have messed up the procedure for getting either his bloods checked or his prescriptions repeated. We, in the Western Isles at least have doctors available once in a while, even if they are out of date in their knowledge. Somebody in his area is going to die and I only hope it isn't him!

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel really bad for your brother. I surely do hope he can get the help he needs. We are lacking in doctors, too, and some people have been on the lists for three or four years or more and still no doctor. I was talking with one man this week and he hasn't had a doctor for at least 4 years and he has three or four very serious health issues. He goes to walk-in clinics, however, it's a different doctor each time and that's no help to him. Very sad situations.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily, my brother is a very smart kid and he knows the ins and outs of his health issues. He is very much in control of the varying amounts of warfarin he needs to take and has a gadget which he bought for himself some time ago to check his blood levels and doses himself accordingly. He did manage to get a supply of warfarin before the whole system collapsed, so he's allright for the moment. Others may not be so clued up as he is.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily, my brother is a very smart kid and he knows the ins and outs of his health issues. He is very much in control of the varying amounts of warfarin he needs to take and has a gadget which he bought for himself some time ago to check his blood levels and doses himself accordingly. He did manage to get a supply of warfarin before the whole system collapsed, so he's allright for the moment. Others may not be so clued up as he is.
Glad to hear he's taking control of his own health. Lots of folks won't/don't do that, to their detriment.