What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
We’ve been lucky with the weather so far today. Don’t know yet if we are due storms tonight, so wondering if I should sleep downstairs on the sofa with Dennis just in case.
@SlimLizzy I wish I had an answer to your munchies question. You’re right, planning is the only way to stay ahead. Are you still trying to put some weight on?
3 meals today - I was hungry by 10:30 so NE1 was an egg, small slice of ham and Emmental.
NE2 prawns and salad with one of a new batch of the Hemsleys’ flaxseed buns -no maple syrup, sugar free or otherwise and I couldn’t taste any difference so won’t bother putting it in next time. These buns/ rolls are super and luckily match daughter’s fodmaps regime too.
NE3: baked salmon with the leftover sesame/ Parmesan crust and roast veg - aubergine, pepper, courgette, cauli.
Also made some of the chocolate nut squares @Goonergal recommended a while back and ate a couple with coffee in the afternoon. Lovely.
Weight is more or less stable now. 47kg or 7stone 6lb, but excess carbs were previously the only way to maintain/gain. Now have increased protein, seems to be doing the trick. Last two weeks gained a pound, so now actually cutting down on fat.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight is more or less stable now. 47kg or 7stone 6lb, but excess carbs were previously the only way to maintain/gain. Now have increased protein, seems to be doing the trick. Last two weeks gained a pound, so now actually cutting down on fat.

Things are never simple are they? I’m glad you’ve stopped losing weight now though.

Reactions: gennepher

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been so off it recently. That does not mean that I have not been cooking or even eating anything.
I have however been thinking about protein and the idea from some corners of the multiverse that the most efficient protein metabolists and weight management items are chicken, cheese and eggs.

So, I have been playing with a tamagoyaki pan (google! Will guide you) -
Tonight, a five egg Japanese omelette containing bacon, onion, mushroom and spinach accompanied by cauliflower steaks roasted in chicken fat with a parmesan crust.

View attachment 33887

View attachment 33890
The cross sections look very food magazine. Is fish not as efficient?

Reactions: Chook and dunelm

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you! I bet they'd freeze well in silicon ice cube moulds, then bag up. There'll be some of this coming to a house near me.
The height of laziness. I was in M&S yesterday and noted they are now doing little pots with prepped fresh garlic, chilli and ginger. No, I didn't buy the but might do so on a day I can't be bothered putting latex gloves on to do it myself.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The height of laziness. I was in M&S yesterday and noted they are now doing little pots with prepped fresh garlic, chilli and ginger. No, I didn't buy the but might do so on a day I can't be bothered putting latex gloves on to do it myself.

I was in M&S Food Hall on Thursday and noticed those too.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly, I can't take most gluten free products. I can use coconut flour but so far, haven't made a successful cake with it - wheat flour seems to be needed to make it work. Can't eat almonds, so many of the delicious sounding choc/almond cakes are not for me. Also can't take any artificial sugars that I have found so far (Stevia is the absolute worst). My best bet is just to keep going. I suppose I torment myself because I get a kick when people enjoy my food even though I can't share it. Anyway, I may be becoming like my old father did and enjoy martyrdom in my old age.
I've put together a baking blend but it does have some almond flour in it. As @Brunneria said, the ingredients are not cheap but once they are in the baking cupboard they do last a while. Blend I use currently is

Baking Mix THM version 2

Servings: 5 cups

Ingredients

2 cups oat fiber (NOT oat flour or oat bran)

1 cup coconut flour

1 cup golden flax meal

¾ cup collagen

½ cup almond flour

1 tablespoon glucomannan or xanthan gum

Steps

Sift all ingredients then blend thoroughly together.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Notes

Use 1:1 in place of THM's Baking Blend.

If I'm baking something that needs 'rise' then I add baking powder to it and another trick is to separate the eggs, whisk the whites to stiff peaks and fold them in at the end.
As for sweeteners, I'm a big fan of Monkfruit granulated sweetener. No nasty aftertaste and it is great for baking.
If you really can't stand Almond flour you could probably up the coconut flour and golden flax meal in the mix to sub for the half cup of almond flour.

Reactions: Viv19 and dunelm

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have been checking the protein content of different cheeses, did not expect such a wide variety.

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is odd - I can’t see the last half of your post on the thread, but when I go to reply I get 2 more paragraphs!
Was just going to say how envious I am of ‘almonds and water at the beach’
Agree that cooking in someone else’s kitchen is very challenging
There's something not right since they updated the App. It's fine on the tablet or laptop but on the smartphone app I find a load of posts that are there on the tablet are not there on the phone and yet the number of posts are correct. I also agree that it's odd when you reply. You have to move the cursor to comment otherwise it's above the original post which is in Quotes. Think I'll stick to the tablet as much as possible.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know which chocolate cake you do, but when the recipe says this is easy, it does not lie. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easy_chocolate_cake_31070

It takes no time to knock up and even serious chocaholics can only manage a little bit, so it goes a long way.

That recipe loks fantastic. I'll try it next time I have to make a chocolate cake. Mine went down well today. That same Nigerian lady was there with her 2 young sons, and they had to be stopped from taking more. That's a good sign.

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuna and salmon I would think but these are just my thoughts. I cannot suggest for others, would certainly not wish to do so. People need to figure out what, with honesty, works for themselves.
The best explanations that I have ever found are that;
Carbs are not that good for T2 diabetics.
Movement is the salve for a healthy body.
The less cells that your body contains, the easier it is to control blood sugars.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - scrambled eggs (3)
Lunch - out at pot luck - I piece of spicy lamb from a lamb stew with a few veggies plus one serving spoonful of my own lemon, turmeric chicken. It had a few pieces of potato in it, but that was the only carb.
Dinner - fell asleep in the chair when I got home and have only just woken up. A quick Ryvita/cheese sandwich.
Plenty of tea and water during the day.
Too many carbs for comfort, and I'm not really hungry so I'll just go to bed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's something not right since they updated the App. It's fine on the tablet or laptop but on the smartphone app I find a load of posts that are there on the tablet are not there on the phone and yet the number of posts are correct. I also agree that it's odd when you reply. You have to move the cursor to comment otherwise it's above the original post which is in Quotes. Think I'll stick to the tablet as much as possible.

I only have my phone so I hope everyone will excuse me if it looks like I’ve done something odd or not replied where I should.
I have got used to the app and usually find it quite efficient. I tried using the browser to log in to the full site but I couldn’t figure out where half the stuff was - I’m a creature of habit, so went back to the app.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've put together a baking blend but it does have some almond flour in it. As @Brunneria said, the ingredients are not cheap but once they are in the baking cupboard they do last a while. Blend I use currently is

Baking Mix THM version 2

Servings: 5 cups

Ingredients

2 cups oat fiber (NOT oat flour or oat bran)

1 cup coconut flour

1 cup golden flax meal

¾ cup collagen

½ cup almond flour

1 tablespoon glucomannan or xanthan gum

Steps

Sift all ingredients then blend thoroughly together.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Notes

Use 1:1 in place of THM's Baking Blend.

If I'm baking something that needs 'rise' then I add baking powder to it and another trick is to separate the eggs, whisk the whites to stiff peaks and fold them in at the end.
As for sweeteners, I'm a big fan of Monkfruit granulated sweetener. No nasty aftertaste and it is great for baking.
If you really can't stand Almond flour you could probably up the coconut flour and golden flax meal in the mix to sub for the half cup of almond flour.

Thanks for that. I've never heard of Monkfruit sweetener. I'll have to look it up. Glucomannan is a no no, though.

Reactions: ianpspurs
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Baked pork chops and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks:Black coffee / tea, water.

Gunna get my cardiac investigated with a echocardiogram at 12:30 to day, this will keep the cardiologist out of my wallet for another year hopefully.

hdcj7Ej.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Catch up a little bit more since guests are of to bed and Hubby gas conked out. I'm just waiting to load the dishwasher again.
Bed Thursday 7.1 FBG 7.4. - Friday once more, boys 1/2 day at school, Physio straight after school run and decided we're just having a Thai with the in laws tonight (they're out and about visiting currently).
B. Usual TAG with ADOC. No time for anything else - school run then physio.
L. Inbetween feeding boys - 2 boiled eggs with a tablespoon of mustard mayo I mixed for a dip.
D. I picked at the thai so it was bits of the different dishes - made my cauli rice with spring onion, peas and tamari soy. With it 1/4 of chicken toast, 2 ribs, veg tempura but I took most of the tempura off. Couple spoons of duck with veg and tamarind, bit crispy sea bass and a few bits of weeping tiger (well named - slices of sirloin with the most eye watering sauce. Not surprising when you see the chilli seeds floating on top).

Large quantities of prosecco were consumed by SIL and myself.

Saturday

Bed 7 FBG 6.8

B. TAG with ADOC and a lot of water.
L. Nothing toi much shopping to do.
D. Leftovers - mixed up the remains of the duck and veg with more cauli rice, last single rib and reheated last of the weeping tiger with the eye watering sauce. Heat even more intense so had some halo top I found in the freezer with raspberries and blackberries.
Even more water!!

@Chook - smiling at the bedding stories. I recall my departed MIL was very fond of bri nylon sheets. Don't know how many experienced them but I hated them. You could build up static and usually found yourself sliding downwards ever time you moved!
@dunelm - like the look of your omelette.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 7 of my holibobs
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with raspberries (ran out of strawberries!) and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: spicy chicken wings and leafy salad with two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon at Starbucks: Mint carb killa bar and a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner at Las Iguanas: Mexican chicken and coconut curry with spring greens cooked with garlic and chilli followed by a CCB with cream back in our lodge.

1A92F50B-5593-4E6A-92EF-9E986A66DE84.jpeg

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get my Monkfruit from mydietshop - it's the cheapest. Brand is Lakanto.

Just looked up monkfruit. It looks attractive, but I have my doubts, considering my inability to cope with artificial sugars or, in a different way, with sucrose or fructose. Better for me just to steer clear, I think. I'm glad, though, that you find it helpful.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A day of carbs, and not. :D

B: 1 small pancake (3 inches), bacon and scram egg. The other 3 pancakes migrated to Mr B’s plate, in return for bacon.
L: cheeseboard and butter, with 1 of the 7(!!!) oakcakes that came with the platter. Followed by the most utterly fabulous low carb gluten free almond and clementine cake. Mr B ordered it from the look of it, not knowing it was LC or GF. I tasted it and ordred a slice for myself. Then MIL tasted it, and ordered one herself. Utterly gorgeous.
D: lemon/lime chicken, with added butter.
Where on earth did you manage to buy a portion of LC GF cake???

Reactions: Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I've caught up again. @Tori71 - welcome back. @shelley262 - Oh how I remember the early days with a Libre. I too had the same look of horror when I saw the size of the javelin to insert the sensor. I thought originally the needle was stuck in you for 14 days - thankfully it was just for insertion. I was also fascinated to see what happened overnight. @DJC3 - the was a woman I used to work beside and she was what I referred to as a "professional viewer". She would spend her weekends viewing properties just to be nosy. I found it atrocious. Fed up with bacon? This landed in my in box today.

https://betterthanbreadketo.com/25-...akfast_recipes_for_summer&utm_term=2019-06-23.

@Viv19 - there's a pavlova recipe on my CMT but its spread over 3 recipes. One for LC lemon curd another for LC Meringue. The main recipe was adapted from a Nigella recipe for a Lemon meringue pavlova. PS you still don't have the recipe circle right. I'll look it up tomorrow and PM you.

Today! Bed 5.8 FBG 7.4

B. TAG with ADOC. 2 rashers back bacon and a fried egg.
L. Nothing - way too busy for feeding the masses. Got another skinny loaf made and a double batch of LC creme brulee ready for their caramel top. Also had a non low carb caramel and chocolate cake for the carb eaters.
D. Usual campari and soda. Big meal today.
Starter, they had a choice of mortadella, bresaola, Parma ham, salami, roasted artichokes, roasted peppers and black olives, Honduran prawns, fresh anchovies, pate, garlic bread and over half my just made bread was cut. The bread they all went for was the skinny bread! No, I didnt have everything.
Main was Rick Stein's beef stroganoff - I used a whole fillet for it. Served a la Rick with straw chips (celeriac chips for me).
Dessert - only 2 had the caramel choc bar. The rest had the LC creme brulee and wouldn't believe it was LC because it tasted "just like creme brulee). Dessert also had a mix of strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Large quantities of wine was consumed as well as beers and ciders!
If they had doubts about the creme brulee being LC they were more stunned by the LC Baileys they had with coffee. Got a bottle made last night. Dishwasher on it's 3rd cycle so off to bed now.

PS where's @zauberflote got to?