Omnipod

Sweetbinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After injecting for over 45 years I have pushed to get a pump. It's taken 12 months of contant pushing blood tests attending every course.
In the next few weeks il ne powder.
Any advise please ?
I'm lucky that I have the libre for bg testing which has pushed my case.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, maybe it's because I'm American but what does
"In the next few weeks il ne powder." Mean?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Okay, lol!!

The Omnipod is really easy to use.Whenever you change the settings, basals etc. Change in small increments, never do big changes unless your endo wants you too. I was always taught and it seems to work well, do small changes every couple of days until it works. They probably will start with simple programming and you can go from there.

There are several utube videos that show you all the different places people put them or different tips. A few to remember...... It is waterproof so you get right in the shower with it. It has a temp basal reduction so that when you exercise you can lower your basal rate. When I ride my exercise bike I don't adjust anything, but when I snorkel I do a 50% reduction starting a half hour before I swim for 2 hours. So depending if you exercise or do a more strenuous activity it is really helpful to keep in mind.

Also you usually only put into the pod what insulin you think you will need. It lasts for 3 days plus 8 hours. So there is wiggle room on going over if it's more convenient to change it later or you have extra insulin in it you want to use. But if you go past that 8 hours it will start making an annoying sound. Or if you forgot to end it's cycle and took it off when you put on a new one it will shriek eventually too. Here is a nice video on how to stop it.

It is so comfortable you will forget where you are wearing it. I remember my endo wanting to show me hers and patting all over her body to find where she put it. I laughed at the time, but I end up doing the same thing!