Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A Magic Bullet? If it works in the real world, i.e. for you and me, then it could indeed be a game changer.
I just hope it will be affordable for all who need it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"It can be injected to keep blood sugar levels within a healthy range, and could treat diabetes in insulin-resistant patients."

Well yeah but.. we know for many how this can be best done.. by avoiding the input of carbs in the first place.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
"It can be injected to keep blood sugar levels within a healthy range, and could treat diabetes in insulin-resistant patients."

Well yeah but.. we know for many how this can be best done.. by avoiding the input of carbs in the first place.
I find this stuff really frightening. For some mental rational we are trying literally to have our cake and eat it, by any means possible.

The magic pill of selecting agreeable foods, is the safest means. Clearly psychological aspects come into play.

Reactions: Flora123

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree that low carb is the way to go for some people, but there are many reasons for eating carbs. Religious, not eating meat, not able to eat meat etc. Personally, I dislike taking drugs unless essential, so will be sticking to low carb.

M

Member496333

I’d like to understand what is supposed to happen to the unused glucose. Where does it go? If it is not removed from the body then it is still contributing to the overall problem. Unless the substance is excreted? I haven’t read all the finer details.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d like to understand what is supposed to happen to the unused glucose. Where does it go? If it is not removed from the body then it is still contributing to the overall problem. Unless the substance is excreted? I haven’t read all the finer details.

Yes how long does the nanogel remain in circulation...will it get deposited and clog up some organs? Trigger immune responses etc... all so we can eat more carbs and drink more fructose?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Agree that low carb is the way to go for some people, but there are many reasons for eating carbs. Religious, not eating meat, not able to eat meat etc. Personally, I dislike taking drugs unless essential, so will be sticking to low carb.

I am vegan. I find no need to munch loads of carbs. I am on about 80g per day and that's giving myself slack for treats. I could drop it down to about 40g without too much effort and there are keto vegan sites online, and loads of keto and low carb vegan recipe books.

No veggie or vegan actually needs to eat lots of carbs.

I distrust the idea of injecting gel into the human body. (Not a real comparison but look how successful injecting silicon into people's breasts & bottoms has been, in an attempt to create some sort of "ideal shape" - ended up with people crippled with silicon poisoning!)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As one who has had two strokes, and recently had a heart bypass operation because of atherosclerosis, I find the concept of something added to my blood that swells to form globules of glucose filled gel a frightening prospect, and an unsafe treatment for many older folks.

I use Metformin that does a similar thing, but remains in the gut until excreted, thus removing the glucose and disposing of the problem that way. This is a concept that I can live with.

As said above, if it acts as a sponge, then it does not solve the problem of hyperglycemia and does not replace insulin at all. It is a temporary fix only since the glucose still needs to be dealt with, and that requires insulin. To my simple mind it merely hides the glucose away from the bgl meter so levels appear to drop to a safe level, when in fact the glucose will reappear later and not under our control. Smoke and mirrors. Smoke and mirrors.

The only use I can see for this is to assist anyone with an impaired liver. However if it is impaired then it is probably giving other problems such as haemaglobin production and lipid distribution irregularities, and hyperglycemia will be in a queue of problems presenting. It will probably not help those who are insulin deficient since as I said above, insulin will still be needed to dispose of the excess glucose.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder at what point the nanogel reaches saturation and what happens then.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am vegan. I find no need to munch loads of carbs. I am on about 80g per day and that's giving myself slack for treats. I could drop it down to about 40g without too much effort and there are keto vegan sites online, and loads of keto and low carb vegan recipe books.

No veggie or vegan actually needs to eat lots of carbs.

I distrust the idea of injecting gel into the human body. (Not a real comparison but look how successful injecting silicon into people's breasts & bottoms has been, in an attempt to create some sort of "ideal shape" - ended up with people crippled with silicon poisoning!)
I am well aware that you are vegan, but as a T1 you can use insulin to cover any carbs you eat. I know that you and a few T1s on this forum are vegan and that is your choice.
However your 80g carbs is four times my max daily intake. If I go over my usual 20g carbs in a day it will quickly show up in my BGs. I also will not be injecting a gel in order to reduce BGs, just as I would never use cosmetic injections.
I don't think this gel should be mainstream, but I can see a use for this where all else has failed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These gel pods gather and bind the glucose, but then release it back into the system slowly, or that is what I understand. So in the end, the same amount of glucose still ends up in the body doing whatever damage it might. It seems like a quick fix for some good finger pricking results, but not a fix for glucose damage.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I am well aware that you are vegan, but as a T1 you can use insulin to cover any carbs you eat. I know that you and a few T1s on this forum are vegan and that is your choice.
However your 80g carbs is four times my max daily intake. If I go over my usual 20g carbs in a day it will quickly show up in my BGs. I also will not be injecting a gel in order to reduce BGs, just as I would never use cosmetic injections.
I don't think this gel should be mainstream, but I can see a use for this where all else has failed.

The sentence in your earlier post I was replying to was: "not eating meat, not able to eat meat etc. " The lack of meat in a diet is not in itself a reason to eat carbs - there are keto vegan websites and keto vegan recipe books. I wanted anyone reading the thread who was vegan/veggie to understand that carbs are not a necessity for them.

Reactions: Caeseji

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These gel pods gather and bind the glucose, but then release it back into the system slowly, or that is what I understand. So in the end, the same amount of glucose still ends up in the body doing whatever damage it might. It seems like a quick fix for some good finger pricking results, but not a fix for glucose damage.

I think the trick would be to set the equilibrium level such that the excess can be released back into the blood so that it can be processed at the rate the body is able to do. That would be a smart bit of science.

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the trick would be to set the equilibrium level such that the excess can be released back into the blood so that it can be processed at the rate the body is able to do. That would be a smart bit of science.
Yes. Assuming that the nanogel itself is safe and inert for long term usage...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Assuming that the nanogel itself is safe and inert for long term usage...

It's the assumptions, so often applied, that have me worried about the "House of Cards"...

M

Member496333

But if you are still putting in more glucose than you are using (insulin resistance), then something has to give sooner or later? Unless the gel is excreted, along with its captive glucose, or it somehow breaks down the sugar into something else?