What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tried that as well as clearing the cache, clearing the cache partition and a few resets. I've hibernated all the apps too.
Must be my car to blame - an intermittent fault!
Delete then reinstall the app????

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omg that Japanese omelette looks amazing and like something in a food magazine. You are clearly a very accomplished cook. You wouldnt want to see my omelettes though they do taste good.

Thanks but I just watched a film of someone doing it on YouTube. My first attempt was a bit peely-wally but I think that was because I only used three eggs. The one in the photo contains five eggs which gives three good rolled layers.

Demo of how it’s made is on this page: http://ketodietchannel.com/2017/04/23/japanese-omelette-keto/

Last edited:

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because it's raining today, instead of my lunchtime walk I went to a café for lunch. I was going to have the usual mixed salad but instead went for the Menu del Día, choosing the least carby options

Stuffed asparagus
Meatballs with salad instead of chips.

The asparagus was the usual white variety, wrapped in a slice of ham and cheese but coated in breadcrumbs and swimming in an orange coloured sauce. Very nice but maybe a bit too carby. The meatballs should have been ok. Couldn't resist a desert as it's included in the price. Just had a tub of ordinary ice cream. Not good, so I was forced to take a dose of corrective Johnny Walker to finish.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Very naughty breakfast - "breakfast bread pudding", very small portion. I had taken it out of the freezer to throw away, but I was too lazy to do anything else and I just ate it! I did take a little extra insulin to try to counteract it, which, of course, didn't work.

Lunch was a small portion - all that was left in the freezer - of a delicious fish stew - a mixture of Mediterranean veggies, white fish and oily fish. There wasn't much of it so I had to pad it out with a couple of RyVita.

Tonight it's chilli con carne and some Mediterranean salad. The chilli is the last in the freezer - I gave the rest to my son to eat because I was very wary of the spice. I might put some yoghurt with it to cool it down a bit but I will eat it now that my stomach is just about back to normal after the konjak "rice" on Friday. My other son bought me some fresh berries today, so I might finish with some of those.

Viv19

These ones come from Jordan and are nearly all nuts. Unlike the incredibly sticky concoctions that are made in the UK.
Also I do believe in being honest about what we actually eat as opposed to posting what we think we should be eating!

Of course. I have only tried baklava that were very sweet - could it have been with honey?

Viv19

Today I am eating:
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x 2.
Lunch didnt happen as was pottering in garden while OH and son at golf.
Just made some tea and snaffled a few rollitos to go with it.
Supper is h/m chicken curry with green rice and mushrooms.
Cooking salmon fillet for son who is off chicken atm.

‘Green rice?’ Is that cauliflower or something else? Always interested in something that goes with curry.
What are the rollitos? I keep reading about them but have no idea what they are.

Viv19

My MIL has sheets, blankets and eiderdowns and I really struggle with them when we visit - the sheets go one way and the blankets go another and the eiderdowns slide off within the first few minutes and it ends up with me and Mr C freezing cold.

Mr C and I both have sleeping problems which mean we keep accidentally waking each other up so I had the (not so) bright idea of having two small 4ft double beds joined together to make an 8 foot wide bed - then, of course, no standard sheets fitted it so I had to make the fitted underneath sheets and the thing that goes over the base and then I sewed two duvets together and made some massive duvet covers. If I had thought it through a bit more I would sensibly have kept it as two beds pushed together with separate sheets and duvets because it's difficult changing the sheets and especially the duvet cover.

I remember the slippery eiderdowns- warm as long as they stayed on the bed, but they were more often on the floor. I have to say I love my duvet. I can be as restless as I need, it just stays with me.
I thought this was a very unfriendly custom when first married, but German king size beds have two single mattresses within the bed frame, and each has a single duvet. For years we had a huge super king duvet (yes, awful changing the covers) until I was fed up with OH pulling the duvet away and leaving half of me to freeze, so I changed it for singles. I’m very grouchy if I don’t get enough sleep.

Viv19

I've put together a baking blend but it does have some almond flour in it. As @Brunneria said, the ingredients are not cheap but once they are in the baking cupboard they do last a while. Blend I use currently is

Baking Mix THM version 2

Servings: 5 cups

Ingredients

2 cups oat fiber (NOT oat flour or oat bran)

1 cup coconut flour

1 cup golden flax meal

¾ cup collagen

½ cup almond flour

1 tablespoon glucomannan or xanthan gum

Steps

Sift all ingredients then blend thoroughly together.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Notes

Use 1:1 in place of THM's Baking Blend.

If I'm baking something that needs 'rise' then I add baking powder to it and another trick is to separate the eggs, whisk the whites to stiff peaks and fold them in at the end.
As for sweeteners, I'm a big fan of Monkfruit granulated sweetener. No nasty aftertaste and it is great for baking.
If you really can't stand Almond flour you could probably up the coconut flour and golden flax meal in the mix to sub for the half cup of almond flour.

I have to tag this somehow. Or do a couple of screenshots.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My MIL has sheets, blankets and eiderdowns and I really struggle with them when we visit - the sheets go one way and the blankets go another and the eiderdowns slide off within the first few minutes and it ends up with me and Mr C freezing cold.

Mr C and I both have sleeping problems which mean we keep accidentally waking each other up so I had the (not so) bright idea of having two small 4ft double beds joined together to make an 8 foot wide bed - then, of course, no standard sheets fitted it so I had to make the fitted underneath sheets and the thing that goes over the base and then I sewed two duvets together and made some massive duvet covers. If I had thought it through a bit more I would sensibly have kept it as two beds pushed together with separate sheets and duvets because it's difficult changing the sheets and especially the duvet cover.

A couple of years ago we bought a double divan - Mrs Miggins has her own frame with electric back and leg raisers and her own mattress - I have similar. We each have our own quilts and topper - works a treat.

Bye the way, the kefir grains are doing a great job. I am seperating the whey from the curds and getting a wonderful thick joghurty delight each day.

Viv19

I remember nylon sheets very well - horrible things! My ex MIL used to get hers from Brentford Nylons (amazing the stuff i remember from way back when). Her nylon sheets used to build up static electricity which made my hair stand on end and if i wore anything made of a similar fabric to bed the nightwear and the sheets would cling to me and ti each other and i got a mini crackly static firework display as i turned over or got out of bed. I have Egyptian cotton now.

Haha I remember them well. :))

Reactions: Chook and gennepher

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ate a bit early today, about 1130.
Lunch - Nando - half a chicken, side salad with grilled halloumi and a bottle of sparkling water.
Mid afternoon - a baby bell cheese.
Dinner tonight:
Bacon, poached eggs and asparagus with a few mushrooms.
Pudding - kefir and berries.
Merlot. We had some wonderful New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but someone seems to have guzzled the lot.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think members are concerned about my personal life it's the issues that matter. I renegotiated the backstop Sainsburys big halloumi breakfast today. Complete non problem about a border between the LC items (eggs - unicorn obs- mushrooms, halloumi and tomatoes) and the toast, beans and hash browns - I insisted they were removed. You must be firm with these people. I am the candidate who can secure (late) breakfastit. (I did have to pay in order to withdraw form the cafe but let's not let facts get in the way.) No questions please.
ETA@ @Chook hope the lurgy soon clears up (certainly well before I sell the NHS to Donny baby) Oh, and I also negotiated extra mushroom and tomato. My opponent is only called Hunt - I am the real thing.:angelic:

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
‘Green rice?’ Is that cauliflower or something else? Always interested in something that goes with curry.
What are the rollitos? I keep reading about them but have no idea what they are.
My rice comes from Iceland. I buy their 4 packs of cauli rice and 4 packs green rice which is blitzed brocolli, kale and other greens. I find them the most convenient way to have veg rice, the portion is appropriate and unlike fresh veg rice it doesnt smell!
Rollitos are from M&S they do 3 different types the one I prefer is Serrano ham covered Manchego cheese little rolls, rollitos. They are 3 for £7 and have a good date and are especially useful when on the go. Hope that helps.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My rice comes from Iceland. I buy their 4 packs of cauli rice and 4 packs green rice which is blitzed brocolli, kale and other greens. I find them the most convenient way to have veg rice, the portion is appropriate and unlike fresh veg rice it doesnt smell!
Rollitos are from M&S they do 3 different types the one I prefer is Serrano ham covered Manchego cheese little rolls, rollitos. They are 3 for £7 and have a good date and are especially useful when on the go. Hope that helps.
When I win there will be no place for things called rollitos or Spanish cheese and as for that @dunelm cove drinking foreign wine - English from October 31st

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Work day and resting knee which is improving thankfully. Also made a new batch of lc seeded crispbreads which then featured a lot in my food choices!
@Chook hope you feel better soon - hugs heading in your direction.
@maglil55 wonderful food and menus.
Today’s food - back to three small meals
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch half tin of sardines in olive oil with some seeded crispbreads
Dinner some crispbreads nibbledwhilst cooking! Ham, mushroom and cheese omelette with green salad and yes you’ve guessed it more crispbreads. Pudding hm rhubarb fool - made new batch today and about to have decaf coffee and small amount of 100% choc.
Planning swimming in morning but bit nervous about my first libre sensor and hope it copes! Anyone else done it @maglil55 ? Did wonder about covering with waterproof plaster/cover. Says should be ok up to 30mins but I’m a bit nervous because of price of sensor!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Ate a bit early today, about 1130.
Lunch - Nando - half a chicken, side salad with grilled halloumi and a bottle of sparkling water.
Mid afternoon - a baby bell cheese.
Dinner tonight:
Bacon, poached eggs and asparagus with a few mushrooms.
Pudding - kefir and berries.
Merlot. We had some wonderful New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but someone seems to have guzzled the lot.
Isn't it amazing how a good kiwi sav blanc evaporates the moment your back is turned!

Viv19

Ah thanks. Sadly there will be no green rice in freezers in Germany - I have one week here to try it (and read the ingredients so I can make my own).
The same goes for rollitos, but I’ll definitely buy some before I go. Snacks for the ferry?

Food today.
Breakfast before travelling. LC toasted roll with blue cheese, and a few strawberries with the last of the yoghurt.
On the road. Almonds, water and 2 babybel I found in the cool bag, still good.
We stopped at a restaurant when nearly back to Dad. I ordered a marinated, grilled chicken slice, plus salad. Asked them not to bring chips, but yes to the ‘salad garnish.’ They brought me a whole bowl of mixed salad to replace the chips. Lovely.
Tea. LC bread with Camembert and cheddar. (I know - cheesaholic, pathetic). Plus 5 cherry toms. Raspberries, blueberries and a few strawberries with Greek yoghurt. Probably more than I should have had- but it was so good!