Alternative Chips

Frankie11111

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all

I made celeriac sweede and sweet potato chips in the oven today. They were not overly successful as the sweet potato went soggy and the sweede was undercooked.

Has anyone got any other alternative chip ideas which are lower in carb than potato?
Thanks in advance
Frankie xx

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I made celeriac sweede and sweet potato chips in the oven today. They were not overly successful as the sweet potato went soggy and the sweede was undercooked.

Has anyone got any other alternative chip ideas which are lower in carb than potato?
Thanks in advance
Frankie xx
Not an alternative but I make swede chips in the oven quite often. I cut them about 8mm x 8mm in cross section put them in a polythene bag with oil, salt and pepper and make sure they are well coated before tipping on to a baking tray. They take about 30 mins at 180C but keep checking as they go from underdone to overdone quite quickly.

Reactions: Frankie11111

Frankie11111

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Not an alternative but I make swede chips in the oven quite often. I cut them about 8mm x 8mm in cross section put them in a polythene bag with oil, salt and pepper and make sure they are well coated before tipping on to a baking tray. They take about 30 mins at 180C but keep checking as they go from underdone to overdone quite quickly.
Thank you I will have a go as they had the potential to be lovely x

Reactions: Serena51

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Butternut squash chips are worth a try. Much lower in carbs than seet potato too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use halloumi cheese fried in butter.. and jolly nice it is too.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tagging @maglil55 who made aubergine chips tonight.

I have celeriac chips fairly often but find they are better and more chippy if parboiled and fried rather than oven cooked.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fried halloumi wrapped in bacon, or courgette wrapped in bacon and fried

Reactions: 1spuds

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
8ef246de3dc989dc57f8d593fdd4d026f505f813r1-1536-2048v2_hq.jpg

I use beef dripping with my oven baked celeriac chips.
I find that definitely the size of the batons will determine the type of crispy you get.
I salt them and wring out the moisture as well.
I also microwave them first for 3 minutes so they are hot when I pour the heated and seasoned dripping on them before finishing them off in the oven. They do turn out well and are a regular go to.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Celeriac chips are wonderful, I now prefer them to anything potato. I don't preboil, just cut and baste in olive oil for roasting. All is needed is a bit of seasoning because they taste so good.

LiamC93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
8ef246de3dc989dc57f8d593fdd4d026f505f813r1-1536-2048v2_hq.jpg

I use beef dripping with my oven baked celeriac chips.
I find that definitely the size of the batons will determine the type of crispy you get.
I salt them and wring out the moisture as well.
I also microwave them first for 3 minutes so they are hot when I pour the heated and seasoned dripping on them before finishing them off in the oven. They do turn out well and are a regular go to.

Definitely need to give these a try, look so good!