BBC Bulletproof Bias

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with cream is a drink for people who don't like the taste of coffee. Bullet proof coffee is even worse and should be called mixed fat in hot brown water.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with cream is a drink for people who don't like the taste of coffee. Bullet proof coffee is even worse and should be called mixed fat in hot brown water.
Yes, but for those that need to use the term, bullet proof coffee sounds good. For some that is the quest. :D

D

Deleted member 308541

Bullet proof coffee is even worse and should be called mixed fat in hot brown water.
A better name is reheated coffee flavoured water from a grease trap.

Black coffee is the go with no sugar / sweeteners in it.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not yet tried bulletproof coffee. Mainly because my cholesterol was a bit over. Now it's normal with the aid of a minimal statin prescription, so I might experiment. Does anyone have a link to a good recipe/description of BPC?

Dietary fat does no have any effect on blood lipids, you can eat sat fat with impunity.

Make coffee and blend in a fat or more than one fat of your choice. Grass fed butter, coconut oil MCT oil, whatever you fancy.
An espresso with a knob of butter in is vey common among rural Italians

Reactions: SaladDaze

mr_cat

A better name is reheated coffee flavoured water from a grease trap.

Black coffee is the go with no sugar / sweeteners in it.
the whole bullet proof coffee thing makes me:yuck: too, I tried double cream once blech the idea of butter cream and coconut oilo_OSlabs of butter and or cheese with a cup of black coffee, fine.
I get the dense energy bomb thing when i first got into this i tried making all of cocoa butter based set 'things' lost my taste for chocolate though so in the bin they went.
My favourite breakfast or lunch is a good sausage not too carby or lean like a seal pup.;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In your not so humble opinion maybe?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I've tried bullet proof coffee, but it's just not my cup of tea. :D

I like mine black, I don't add cream. If I do this upsets my digestive system, even if I do like the taste of coffee with cream a lot. Unfortunately, I can't find a cream that doesn't have thickeners added to it, which cause digestive upset for me.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly I can't think of anything worse than butter in coffee.. who invented that

I can think of the Italians and the Bedouins off the top of my head but there’s bound to be more.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless someone has low or normal BMI, I think it is daft to add fat for the sake of it. I rather use fat to cook my food in.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Strangely, I do like the taste of coffee.

I can also taste the difference between Nescafe Instant (morning go to when still half awake) and fresh ground coffee made with my Aeropress.

Bullet Resistant Coffee made with an Aeropress is awesome.

However I tend to only have the one cup of strong coffee a day so the Aeropress gets limited use.

:)Oh, and the one thing I can't stand is a bigot! :):hilarious::cool::p:D
{Joke alert!}

Reactions: Speedbird

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely, I do like the taste of coffee.

I can also taste the difference between Nescafe Instant (morning go to when still half awake) and fresh ground coffee made with my Aeropress.

Bullet Resistant Coffee made with an Aeropress is awesome.

However I tend to only have the one cup of strong coffee a day so the Aeropress gets limited use.

:)Oh, and the one thing I can't stand is a bigot! :):hilarious::cool::p:D
{Joke alert!}
You like the taste of coffee but drink Nescafé Instant?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You like the taste of coffee but drink Nescafé Instant?

Only the Smooth (was called Crema) because it is acceptable first thing in the morning.
Not the cheaper versions.

Strangely, a lot of people seem to buy instant coffee.

Although there are some abominations not worthy of the name.
Mellow Birds for one left traumatic memories.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I do like alliteration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48692763

"However, Aisling Pigott, a registered dietician, and spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association (BDA), is critical.

"Bulletproof coffee is not something I'd ever recommend, because it's introducing extra calories and extra fat in a way that isn't providing any other nutritional value," she says.

"There is no benefit to adding butter to your coffee. With a Bulletproof coffee-based breakfast you're missing out on what you're getting from a food-based breakfast - there is no protein, vitamins or minerals."
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

"
Nutritional value per 1 US Tbsp (14.2g)
Energy
101.8 kcal (426 kJ)
Carbohydrates
0.01 g
Sugars 0.01 g
Fat
11.52 g
Saturated 7.294 g
Trans 0.465 g
Monounsaturated 2.985 g
Polyunsaturated 0.432 g
Protein
0.12 g
Vitamins Quantity%DV
Vitamin A equiv.
12%
97.1 μg
Vitamin A 355 IU
Vitamin B12
1%
0.024 μg
Vitamin E
2%
0.33 mg
Vitamin K
1%
0.99 μg
Other constituents Quantity
Cholesterol
30.5 mg
"

Nope - no vitamins or protein there!
I wonder what it takes to be "a registered dietitian, and spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association (BDA)"?

I don't think that minerals are normally listed in nutritional information but ICBW.

Seriously, though; describing butter (the concentrated goodness of milk which is amazingly nutritious), as "of no benefit" does smack of a very political slant to nutrition.

[Me culpa -just read her name as Ailing Bigot for some reason.]
You do have to study for about 6 years to absorb this kind anti sat fat /CICO bias. I do like bulletproof coffee and find it very filling - beats my healthy wholegrain porridge.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Mr Pot - how cruel :joyful:, how untrue! I got taught to drink real, strong, tasty coffee at a young age by Swedes, and took to it during those long cold dark winters, particularly, like a duck to water.

Then, post diagnosis, I got taught to drink coffee with full cream from.... here! And, ohhhhh, lovely. (And I am lucky I am highly tolerant of dairy products, which many are not, let us remember, although I am sure I do get an insulin response to it, but that is another story....)

If you like both lovely strong tasty coffee, AND cream, separately, the taste together is delici-mo. Mmmmm.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still rarely drink coffee at all these days. I do enjoy a 200 ml glass of full fat milk, which sits nicely within my daily low carb allowance.

Last edited: