Type 2 Remission?

londonluke

So had my last HBA1C 3 weeks ago now and down to 32 from a diagnosis of 78 in December 2018. I have been taken off my Metformin and Statins and doctor says if HBA1C is below 48 in 3 months will be in remission. What I am testing now is if I can eat a healthy balanced diet including carbs like a normal person and my blood sugars stay good or will I have to avoid carbs the rest of my life because they put my blood sugars up. I am testing this because all my liver enzymes returned to normal and wondering if my liver and pancreas can now control my blood sugar levels because there was visceral fat blocking everything up like in the direct trial. I have lost 4 stone in 6 months so feeling much better.

What do people think is worth eating like this to see if my body has healed or is my HBA1C bound to shoot up and they stick me on tablets again?

Reactions: Guna108

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume that if I go back to an Eatwell diet I will be back into the Prediabetes blood sugar results again. I don’t know if that is correct though.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would suggest that you already are normal, and that your initial diagnosis was a result of your body reacting to an abnormal input for it.

It looks like once the body has been hit with diabetes, a threshold amount of carbs / sugars from maybe sources that could be handled years ago no longer is the case, like a muscle memory of diabetes.

You can try by eating to your meter foods that you prefer, to see if your body will accept. It will be trial and error to see if you can handle the usual fast to hand / availability foods. For example I tolerate carrots and butternut squash, in "normal" (large for me) portion sizes, whilst I know some Type 2's can't. I set my acceptance as 1.5 mmol raise or lower, whilst many agree 2 is a good marker. At seasonal times, many well controlled accept the rises that higher carb foods cause and then get back on the wagon.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in remission, I can eat some extra carbs - such as the icecream I ate on a blistering hot day - but next morning my weight had increased a couple of pounds. It took a week to get back to where I had been.
This is my normal situation, for decades before I was diagnosed, but back then I was being encouraged, ad nauseum, to eat healthy amounts of carbs. I ended up about as round as I was tall.
I intend to remain on a low carb diet for the foreseeable future as I know that my body will cope with the carbs by storing them away and being very reluctant to let them go.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So had my last HBA1C 3 weeks ago now and down to 32 from a diagnosis of 78 in December 2018. I have been taken off my Metformin and Statins and doctor says if HBA1C is below 48 in 3 months will be in remission. What I am testing now is if I can eat a healthy balanced diet including carbs like a normal person and my blood sugars stay good or will I have to avoid carbs the rest of my life because they put my blood sugars up. I am testing this because all my liver enzymes returned to normal and wondering if my liver and pancreas can now control my blood sugar levels because there was visceral fat blocking everything up like in the direct trial. I have lost 4 stone in 6 months so feeling much better.

What do people think is worth eating like this to see if my body has healed or is my HBA1C bound to shoot up and they stick me on tablets again?
The thing with remission, it's a term used when a condition is dormant or without current symptoms or evidence of the disease, but it could come back. It's the difference between the terms "cured" and "remission". With cured you're basically done forever. With remission there's always a chance of recurrance. Personally I wouldn't risk it, especially if I felt "so much better", as you state it. I may be a bit of a coward though... I was in such a horrid state when diagnosed, I never ever want to go back to being like that. That was just -barely- existing, not living. You got T2 once, indicating you have a tendency towards it... And for quite a few of us, we go by a lifestyle change rather than a diet, indicating it's a for life thing rather than a temporary one. But you can give it a go, of course... If things backfire, you know how to fix it again! :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@londonluke I tend to eat between 100g to 120g carbs per day and have maintained my hba1c at non diabetic levels for approx 5 years. Through testing I have identified the foods that I can eat with no real impact on my BS and those that I can eat in moderation or should avoid completely. However I still experiment and recently found that I can put jacket potatoes back on the menu but old habits die hard and I still prefer a good salad!

Reactions: AloeSvea