Low-Carb Religion

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought, and whilst a bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps if we claimed "low-Carb" as a religion we could get our "special" food as a religious requirement in hospitals etc........

Love to hear a lawyer (qualified NOT bar-room!) explain how it would not work.......

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought, and whilst a bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps if we claimed "low-Carb" as a religion we could get our "special" food as a religious requirement in hospitals etc........

Love to hear a lawyer (qualified NOT bar-room!) explain how it would not work.......
Maybe if enough people request a Low Carb option it will one day be included on hospital lists just as Vegetarian options are included by personal choice.
https://www.stmarysathens.org/health-and-wellness/nutrition/special-diets/

That would be a shorter path than expecting them to review the "Diabetic diet" which shouldn't really be a one-size-fits-all diet anyway, should it?

I wonder though if the medically specific diets override those that are made by choice though. We all just need to keep asking for what we want I think.

The private hospital where I recently gave birth didn’t even have eggs as an option on their breakfast menu. I had to make a special request to have them. And then they were cooked in a horrible tasting seed oil rather than butter. But I figured better that than eat cornflakes...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Might make food tax-deductible? Lol.
Maybe easier to provide own food for hospital and ask for a rebate off charges ( e.g in countries without universal healthcare or if private health insurance does not provide full cover.
In Australia the biggest manufacturer of breakfast cereals in owned by a reigious sect and thus pays no taxes but can then use that money otherwise saved on influencing the public, health professiomals, and students in Health, Governments, even one health professional regulation body.
So one may need to be careful what one wishes for !

D

Deleted member 308541

I will stick with the Salvos, you always seem to get a decent meal from them...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think claiming it as a religion would make us all look like a bunch of radical loonies.... :D

In the mean time, just keep asking for real food if they can't provide or you can't get down to the cafeteria or don't have someone who can for you. You may end up in a few lively "discussions", but that's one way to pass time in hospital. :D

Reactions: HSSS and zand
M

Member496333

From an evolutionary standpoint, low carbohydrate eating is just a normal human diet. No religion required.

Reactions: Robbity

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think claiming it as a religion would make us all look like a bunch of radical loonies.... :D

In the mean time, just keep asking for real food if they can't provide or you can't get down to the cafeteria or don't have someone who can for you. You may end up in a few lively "discussions", but that's one way to pass time in hospital. :D
...Wait... I'm not already a radical looney then? ;)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Ha! Try reporting your dieteary habits as vegan, diabetic, fairly low carb (by most medics' standards).

If I ever end up in hospital I'm going to get my husband to bring meals in or I will starve! Luckily we only live a ten minute car ride away.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
From an evolutionary standpoint, low carbohydrate eating is just a normal human diet. No religion required.

How on earth do you expect to control the masses with that attitude? :D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe if enough people request a Low Carb option it will one day be included on hospital lists just as Vegetarian options are included by personal choice.
Taken from another thread I posted in yesterday

Today I had another impromptu day in hospital. Interestingly when shown the menu (which I didn’t get to eat) they had every dietary option going except low carb as a separately available menu. The lad taking orders when I asked for low carb options offered sandwiches or jacket potatoes :eek:

Other food staff then informed me they did also have a special low carb menu as it had been asked for increasingly but they hadn’t listed it yet and would let me have it if I was still there later. They also hadn’t considered how useful knowing ingredients could be for those on special diets and would put that suggestion forward as another card to be made available along with the nutritional content they also have. All of these non standard menus and cards need to be asked for.

It does look promising but I didn’t actually test out what they thought was low carb so optimistic is the way I’m looking at it. The hospital has sacked burger king and installed an m&s cafe instead so I had already sent my companion rollioto shopping before I saw any menus.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I understand that NICEguidelines have changed or being changed to put low carb diet as diet of scientifically proven best choice for T2Ds.
. In this case the hospitals had better hop to and change the menus and make sure dietitians are up to speed.
Meanwhile in Oz, the wheels of progress will have to run over Big Food to make it happen.

M

Member496333

They’ll still cook or prepare everything in toxic machine lubricants, but baby steps, I guess...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Now why not have sniffer dogs to prevent that food getting in?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Taken from another thread I posted in yesterday

Today I had another impromptu day in hospital. Interestingly when shown the menu (which I didn’t get to eat) they had every dietary option going except low carb as a separately available menu. The lad taking orders when I asked for low carb options offered sandwiches or jacket potatoes :eek:

Other food staff then informed me they did also have a special low carb menu as it had been asked for increasingly but they hadn’t listed it yet and would let me have it if I was still there later. They also hadn’t considered how useful knowing ingredients could be for those on special diets and would put that suggestion forward as another card to be made available along with the nutritional content they also have. All of these non standard menus and cards need to be asked for.

It does look promising but I didn’t actually test out what they thought was low carb so optimistic is the way I’m looking at it. The hospital has sacked burger king and installed an m&s cafe instead so I had already sent my companion rollioto shopping before I saw any menus.
Gotta keep asking I think.
I saw a new GP today and while filling out the new patient forms I also proudly added and circled "low carb" as my special diet. They had low fat, vegetatian, and other medical ones but no low carb either.
I also had to do A LOT of persuading to get my doctor to write a script for a HOMA-IR (insulin) test that I was hoping to do at the same time as my next GTT. She was really reluctant saying that the current way of diagnosing diabetes is evidence based, which I was not disputing anyway. I'd just read on the Diet Doctor that knowing your insulin levels is useful to know if you are insulin resistant due to a low carb diet or actually prediabetic. Will be harder for me to get a clear picture while eating low carb and breastfeeding as both can lower you blood glucose. Anyway, we'll see if I get away with it.

Last edited:

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA

Why not creat it as a religion?

In the mean time start a black market in real food. :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that NICEguidelines have changed or being changed to put low carb diet as diet of scientifically proven best choice for T2Ds.
. In this case the hospitals had better hop to and change the menus and make sure dietitians are up to speed.
Meanwhile in Oz, the wheels of progress will have to run over Big Food to make it happen.

Where did you read that about NICE Kitedoc? As I see ithe ship may be turning, but we're turning the QE2, not a laser dinghy.

I recently reviewed some proposed guidelines for PWD inpatients. Interesting reading.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Where did you read that about NICE Kitedoc? As I see ithe ship may be turning, but we're turning the QE2, not a laser dinghy.

I recently reviewed some proposed guidelines for PWD inpatients. Interesting reading.

Get a bigger rudder. :D