Treatment type
Diet only

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interested in hearing what you both take away from the interview.

Dr. Fung talked about how insulin is anabolic to fat and muscle. Testosterone is anabolic to muscle, catabolic to fat. Cortisol is catabolic to muscle, anabolic to fat.

Anabolic and catabolic defined...

"Anabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that construct molecules from smaller units. These reactions require energy, known also as an endergonic process. Anabolism is the building-up aspect of metabolism, whereas catabolism is the breaking-down aspect. Anabolism is usually synonymous with biosynthesis."

He also talked about how fasting decreases insulin, decreases mTOR, and increases AMPK (which is good for longevity).

So my take on this is because my insulin levels are low, my testosterone levels are low, but my cortisol levels are elevated - (I have a condition called subclinical thyroid) - I guess that makes me fat and weak, but I'll live a long life? ;)

My favorite part was where he stated "insulin resistance" is due to a "fatty liver" and "beta cell dysfunction" is due to a "fatty pancreas". If he's right, that gives me so much hope. I did my first water fast this past weekend, a 40 hour one. Glucose levels are much better. I think doing keto and fasting is going to be a game changer for me. :)

M

Member496333

My favorite part was where he stated "insulin resistance" is due to a "fatty liver" and "beta cell dysfunction" is due to a "fatty pancreas". If he's right...

This has been my understanding since reading The Diabetes Code. The realisation empowered me with the knowledge to turn my metabolic derangement upside down and inside out. Coming from a position of cataclysmic insulin resistance, triple-figure Hba1c and serious complications, I powered through it all to the stage where I scored a HOMA-IR of 0.3 and hs-CRP of 0.97mg/L. So speaking from a personal perspective only, I reckon he is most certainly right. The guy saved my life :D

M

Member496333

I’m about halfway through this. Fabulous podcast. Everyone who thinks they understand T2DM and insulin resistance should be tied to a chair and made to listen :D

Of particular interest to me are his comments reinforcing what I’ve long been blathering on about - that those with lipodystrophy, or TOFI, are unable to become obese and so develop catastrophic insulin resistance. It certainly explains why I became diabetic so easily and found my resistance unfathomably difficult to overcome.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m only part way through but I have a question. Is anyone who puts on weight becoming insulin resistant?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fat that we can see doesn't typically influence insulin resistance. Rather it's fat in and around the organs that cause insulin resistance. Obesity typically follows insulin resistance, not the other way around.

Fasting helps reverse fatty liver, fatty pancreas, and obesity. So it's a win, win win. :)

Reactions: jjraak

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fat that we can see doesn't typically influence insulin resistance. Rather it's fat in and around the organs that cause insulin resistance. Obesity typically follows insulin resistance, not the other way around.

Fasting helps reverse fatty liver, fatty pancreas, and obesity. So it's a win, win win. :)

Without an ultrasound is there any good way to judge how much visceral fat one really has? Which fat is reduced first when fasting (or eating low carb) subcutaneous fat or visceral fat? Can you eliminate visceral fat without reducing subconscious fat or vice versa?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that visceral fat is lost first, which will lessen insulin resistance. :)

Here's how to calculate insulin resistance - (but you'll need a fasting insulin and a fasting glucose level to calculate it)...

https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/

For those who live outside the US, you'll need to convert the units, described at the end of the article.

Or use this for those who live in the UK or elsewhere, use this calculator...

https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting question @Sapien

I'd would have been interested in that first day post DX.
I recently bought some smart scales that give a variety of measures, and visceral fat is one of them.
Not too sure of it's accuracy but it's kind of nice to see a number to monitor and relate too.
Would have been nice to have known WHAT the visceral fat level was before I hit the diet and lost that few stone.

Like I say, I'd be interested in the answer forthcoming for your question, sapien

Last edited:

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Thanks so much for posting this. Jason Fung is a total hero. The diabetes nurse really did my head in a couple of days ago, and listening to this podcast has restored my sanity, and my hope for remission.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Interesting question @Sapien

I'd would have been interested in that first day post DX.
I recently bought some smart scales that give a variety of measures, and visceral fat is one of them.
Not too sure of it's accuracy but it's kind of nice to see a number to monitor and relate too.
Would have been nice to have known WHAT the visceral fat level was before I hit the diet and lost that few stone.

Like I say, I'd be interested in the answer forthcoming for your question, sapien

Hey @jjraak I like that article by Dan Parker!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @jjraak I like that article by Dan Parker!

Absolutely awe inspiring.

When ever I read it i get goose bumps.

He hit EVERY SINGLE NOTE for how I felt.
Abandoned without hope, left with a protocol that's outdated and lacking in credibility.
All pushed by so called professionals that I expected to trust to look after my interests, rather then the practice of outdated dogma.
That may suit them, but does NOT suit me.

Rant over..move along..nothing to see here.